Dinner, Tuesday 12/14/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
In a movie last night the cast was eating in a diner. I immediately thought of Fried Potatoes. So I am making Fried Potatoes and Onions, Stewed Tomatoes. That is all I know so far. I am thinking a Pork Chop. Anyone have any suggestions?:chef:

going to make a pot of chili. And I have a few balls of frozen pizza dough that I may take out to thaw and make a pizza for my daughter who doesn't like chili. I'll use the other one to make a garlic loaf for the chili.....

I thawed a packet of shredded beef and juices. I'll have time to thaw some onion rice and along with a can of stewed tomatoes will make a Spanish rice.

YAY: This month's Commodities box included 4 cans of stewed tomatoes which is always on my grocery list.

I'm also making a pot of chicken stock, for warmth and scent.

Last edited:
My chicken stock has turned into a delicious broth. Guess I'll make chicken noodle soup.

I made the broth with about 2 qts. water with one package onion soup mix and added salt, 2 bay leaves, 2 whole stalks celery and one chicken thigh.

This is one place where I can use up some of the Ramen noodles where I've stolen the spice packet.:LOL:

I'll make that tomorrow so I don't have noodles absorbing broth all night. Then after a big soup lunch, I can strain off the remaining broth and freeze.

Last edited:
going to make a pot of chili. And I have a few balls of frozen pizza dough that I may take out to thaw and make a pizza for my daughter who doesn't like chili. I'll use the other one to make a garlic loaf for the chili.....

Oh how I hate cooking separate meals for kids!! I do it, but I don't like it. What's even better is when I make them something separate then they don't eat that either. Sorry... mini-vent!!

My chicken stock has turned into a delicious broth. Guess I'll make chicken noodle soup.

I made the broth with about 2 qts. water with one package onion soup mix and added salt, 2 bay leaves, 2 whole stalks celery and one chicken thigh.

This is one place where I can use up some of the Ramen noodles where I've stolen the spice packet.:LOL:

I'll make that tomorrow so I don't have noodles absorbing broth all night. Then after a big soup lunch, I can strain off the remaining broth and freeze.

I have also been know to repurpose the seasoning packets in ramen. Excellent addition to most soups!! Except it's so high in sodium and msg

Tonight, I'll be piecing dinner together, playing short order cook again... Me and my 5 year old will have leftover chicken noodle soup with buttered wheat rolls, dh is on his own although I offered to make him an omlette, he doesn't acknowledge soup as a meal, which is unfortunate for him because I have southwestern bean soup and pork & lentil soup in the queue for later this week lol. The 2 other little ones will probably have a little bit of everything.

I know the feeling. And I am doing it less as time goes by. Tonight I happen to have the majority of ingredients handy and some I need to use up. I can send some leftover pizza in her lunch tomorrow and my in-laws are coming tomorrow to do some xmas shopping, so they can have some chili for lunch because I will be at work. So, an hour in the kitchen should cover a few meals.

Last edited:
Dinner tonight will be a rotisserie chicken that I picked up from Costco, mashed potatoes, and steamed green beans with butter.

Quote from SnickerDoodle (snicker) I have also been know to repurpose the seasoning packets in ramen. Excellent addition to most soups!! Except it's so high in sodium and msg End Quote.

It's not so high in sodium if you put it in more than 2 cups water. I didn't know there was MSG, but it doesn't bother me. I buy the 12 packs first because they are cheap, the seasoning packets are a great add in, especially soups and beans, and the noodles are tasty in a good broth if you don't use too much.

I hope your DH at least has some of the soups/beans as a side dish.

I thought about tacos, but then I decided to go meatless tonight. I will just heat up some refried beans, top it with cheese, chopped onion, lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, and a little sour cream and have it with tortilla chips.

:)Barbara

I made chicken and dumpling stew from things in the freezer and pantry.

I've got a ham in the oven, some rice blend simmering in chicken broth and a salad prepped and ready to go. No cooked veggie tonight, unless I can find something in the freezer to heat in the microwave.

Its cold and snowing right now. I've got two trays of cookies to go in later, so that will likely be dessert.

I marinated a pork tenderloin in a white wine and herb marinade and made roasted potato wedges seasoned with oil and onion soup mix.

Chicken strips (dredged in highly seasoned peanut flour (HIGH protein and ZERO gluten) then fried in peanut oil), lemon pan gravy (butter, leftover seasoned peanut flour, chicken stock and lemon juice) steamed and buttered carrot coins and onion, mushrooms and Basmati Rice Medley (basmati rice, wild rice, garden herbs & vegetables) sautéed in butter, chicken stock added for cooking liquid.

img_947814_0_83b2d17df3b62cfdfa2ec8eb57138b42.jpg

Quote from SnickerDoodle (snicker) I have also been know to repurpose the seasoning packets in ramen. Excellent addition to most soups!! Except it's so high in sodium and msg End Quote.

It's not so high in sodium if you put it in more than 2 cups water. I didn't know there was MSG, but it doesn't bother me. I buy the 12 packs first because they are cheap, the seasoning packets are a great add in, especially soups and beans, and the noodles are tasty in a good broth if you don't use too much.

I hope your DH at least has some of the soups/beans as a side dish.

Also, the after you rob the ramen of the seasoning packet, the noodles are pretty tasty all crunched up on top of a salad :)

Dh had nothing to do with the soup tonight but I'm thankful he ate a bowl of it a couple nights ago when it was freshly made.

we went to the mall to get the little guy's pic with santa, so afterward we ate at the cheesecake factory. it was my first time eating there (dw says i'm a bonehead because we've eaten there before, but i disagree), and i have to say i was impressed. i thought it was going to be another tgi fridays, olive garden, or the like, but it was several notches above them as far as a chain restaurant goes.

it wasn't terribly busy, so we were seated at a nice big table in our own quiet section. thankfully, they didn't stick us next to the other tables in another room with 6 or 7 screaming kids at each just because we have a little guy.

we started with the thai lettuce wraps which were fantastic, but overpriced at $13. but it was a good start.

then, dw had the grilled fish (mahi mahi) tacos with black beans and rice, the boy had mini corn dogs and fries, and i had the grilled pork chops, housemade applesauce, mashed, and spinach.

dw's tacos were really good, and the black beans were delicious. they had just a hint of tobasco in them, and were topped with a bit of melted queso.

my pork chops were really good, the red skin mashed spuds and sauteed spinach were very good as well, but the warm, housemade applesauce was fantastic. it had hints of cinnamon, clove, and cardamom.

our waiter was friendly and attentive so the whole deal was an enjoyable experience.

on our way out of the mall, we stopped by mr. cupcakes Mr. Cupcakes and picked up 3 "snowball fight" cupcakes to go.

:pig::pig::pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom