"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I grew up somehw missing this. no ramen noodle packets when I was in college. Blue Box mac'n'cheese, 19cent pot pies and frozen cardboard pizza. Anything between 2 slices white bread.

Sooooooooo today, I find there is such a thing as real ramen noodles. Have seen on restaurant menus. Haven't tried yet. or attempted to make at home. Guess I better catch up with the times.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I grew up somehw missing this. no ramen noodle packets when I was in college. Blue Box mac'n'cheese, 19cent pot pies and frozen cardboard pizza. Anything between 2 slices white bread.

Sooooooooo today, I find there is such a thing as real ramen noodles. Have seen on restaurant menus. Haven't tried yet. or attempted to make at home. Guess I better catch up with the times.
Same with me. I thought ramen was just what you got in the packs. A dried noodle cake with a bit of powdered seasoning. Now a days, I throw the seasoning packets in the garbage and make my own broth. I start with a stock, then usually a bit of ginger, garlic, onion, sesame oil, sometimes oyster sauce. Let that boil for a few minutes, toss in any thinly slices veggies, cooked meat and a few bunches of noodles. Simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes and that's it. You can add a bit of soy sauce, sambal olek, or chili oil in your bowl if you want to season it some more

Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice looking soup, Rock.
Too bad you can't buy the noodles without throwing away the packets. Somebody should offer those.

Looking back on tonight's dinner, I wish I had added a few red pepper flakes to the garlic pasta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork chop dinner 2013.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	17374  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Looks good. I need to have me some pork chops soon.....

Those packets are just full of sodium and msg anyway. I can come up with something on my own...I used to save them in a little pot in the kitchen. I had quite a few until I realized that I wasn't ever going to use them so I tossed them out
Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We had chicken leg quarters roasted with garlic butter, along with baked potatoes. Fruit for dessert.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I start with a stock, then usually a bit of ginger, garlic, onion, sesame oil, sometimes oyster sauce. Let that boil for a few minutes, toss in any thinly slices veggies, cooked meat and a few bunches of noodles. Simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes and that's it. You can add a bit of soy sauce, sambal olek, or chili oil in your bowl if you want to season it some more
Re those Asian seasonings, I usually keep soy sauce in the fridge, but am not familiar with sambal olek, chili oil, or oyster sauce. Do these keep well? That is, if I invest in them but use them only once in a while, will I have wasted my $$? Seems like I have to choose what "style" of cooking I want, then buy specialty items (Indian, for example) for those recipes. What the heck is sambal olek, anyway? Thanks, Mr. Lobster.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Re those Asian seasonings, I usually keep soy sauce in the fridge, but am not familiar with sambal olek, chili oil, or oyster sauce. Do these keep well? That is, if I invest in them but use them only once in a while, will I have wasted my $$? Seems like I have to choose what "style" of cooking I want, then buy specialty items (Indian, for example) for those recipes. What the heck is sambal olek, anyway? Thanks, Mr. Lobster.
Oyster sauce is pretty common. It is good in the fridge for a few months. You can get a vegetarian version also. Usually about 3 bucks a bottle. You can use it for stir fries, soups, etc...
Sambal olek is hot chili paste. I would use it sparingly if you aren't into hot(spicey) foods. You don't need it if you don't want it. I usually add a quarter tsp to my bowl and stir it in. But I am a hot spicy food lover. It lasts for a very long time.

Chili oil, is just that. Oil that has been infused with hot chilies. It can be used as a condiment or a cooking oil. It just adds a bit of flavor and heat like a hot sauce. Good for dipping things into, also.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
Master Chef

I am in the same situation as tinlizzie!

I have thrown away many containers of exotic ingredients after using only a tablespoon or two.

Now I improvise using things commonly found in my kitchen or I splurge on an exotic restaurant meal.

Do people still use the word splurge?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Add me into that group as well. I hate buying fish sauce and looking at 3/4 of a bottle for the next year... wondering...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Add me into that group as well. I hate buying fish sauce and looking at 3/4 of a bottle for the next year... wondering...
I have a few things in there also. Especially Indian chutneys or thai curry pastes. As much as I like a curry, I rarely make them.

Fish sauce lasts forever. Start making yourself some kimchi. It calls for a 1/4 cup in a 2 lb batch...

Tags
dinner