"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
I grew up somehw missing this. no ramen noodle packets when I was in college. Blue Box mac'n'cheese, 19cent pot pies and frozen cardboard pizza. Anything between 2 slices white bread.

Sooooooooo today, I find there is such a thing as real ramen noodles. Have seen on restaurant menus. Haven't tried yet. or attempted to make at home. Guess I better catch up with the times.
__________________

__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I grew up somehw missing this. no ramen noodle packets when I was in college. Blue Box mac'n'cheese, 19cent pot pies and frozen cardboard pizza. Anything between 2 slices white bread.

Sooooooooo today, I find there is such a thing as real ramen noodles. Have seen on restaurant menus. Haven't tried yet. or attempted to make at home. Guess I better catch up with the times.
Same with me. I thought ramen was just what you got in the packs. A dried noodle cake with a bit of powdered seasoning. Now a days, I throw the seasoning packets in the garbage and make my own broth. I start with a stock, then usually a bit of ginger, garlic, onion, sesame oil, sometimes oyster sauce. Let that boil for a few minutes, toss in any thinly slices veggies, cooked meat and a few bunches of noodles. Simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes and that's it. You can add a bit of soy sauce, sambal olek, or chili oil in your bowl if you want to season it some more
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Nice looking soup, Rock.
Too bad you can't buy the noodles without throwing away the packets. Somebody should offer those.

Looking back on tonight's dinner, I wish I had added a few red pepper flakes to the garlic pasta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork chop dinner 2013.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	17374  
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,791
Looks good. I need to have me some pork chops soon.....

Those packets are just full of sodium and msg anyway. I can come up with something on my own...I used to save them in a little pot in the kitchen. I had quite a few until I realized that I wasn't ever going to use them so I tossed them out
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
We had chicken leg quarters roasted with garlic butter, along with baked potatoes. Fruit for dessert.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I start with a stock, then usually a bit of ginger, garlic, onion, sesame oil, sometimes oyster sauce. Let that boil for a few minutes, toss in any thinly slices veggies, cooked meat and a few bunches of noodles. Simmer for about 4 or 5 minutes and that's it. You can add a bit of soy sauce, sambal olek, or chili oil in your bowl if you want to season it some more
Re those Asian seasonings, I usually keep soy sauce in the fridge, but am not familiar with sambal olek, chili oil, or oyster sauce. Do these keep well? That is, if I invest in them but use them only once in a while, will I have wasted my $$? Seems like I have to choose what "style" of cooking I want, then buy specialty items (Indian, for example) for those recipes. What the heck is sambal olek, anyway? Thanks, Mr. Lobster.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #27
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Re those Asian seasonings, I usually keep soy sauce in the fridge, but am not familiar with sambal olek, chili oil, or oyster sauce. Do these keep well? That is, if I invest in them but use them only once in a while, will I have wasted my $$? Seems like I have to choose what "style" of cooking I want, then buy specialty items (Indian, for example) for those recipes. What the heck is sambal olek, anyway? Thanks, Mr. Lobster.
Oyster sauce is pretty common. It is good in the fridge for a few months. You can get a vegetarian version also. Usually about 3 bucks a bottle. You can use it for stir fries, soups, etc...
Sambal olek is hot chili paste. I would use it sparingly if you aren't into hot(spicey) foods. You don't need it if you don't want it. I usually add a quarter tsp to my bowl and stir it in. But I am a hot spicy food lover. It lasts for a very long time.

Chili oil, is just that. Oil that has been infused with hot chilies. It can be used as a condiment or a cooking oil. It just adds a bit of flavor and heat like a hot sauce. Good for dipping things into, also.
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
I am in the same situation as tinlizzie!

I have thrown away many containers of exotic ingredients after using only a tablespoon or two.

Now I improvise using things commonly found in my kitchen or I splurge on an exotic restaurant meal.

Do people still use the word splurge?
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Add me into that group as well. I hate buying fish sauce and looking at 3/4 of a bottle for the next year... wondering...
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Add me into that group as well. I hate buying fish sauce and looking at 3/4 of a bottle for the next year... wondering...
I have a few things in there also. Especially Indian chutneys or thai curry pastes. As much as I like a curry, I rarely make them.

Fish sauce lasts forever. Start making yourself some kimchi. It calls for a 1/4 cup in a 2 lb batch...
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.