Dinner Tuesday 13th November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get the Saki :w00t: And while you are at it, make me some Sushi too :LOL:
I live far from the ocean, this is about how close I get to decent Sushi lately .....................

The Parktown Prawn :LOL:

ParktownPrawn_Large.jpg

That is one scary looking prawn :ohmy: :LOL:

Steve, that meal looks wonderful. Actually, I've never had goat. Does it taste like lamb? I love lamb. Do you cook it to well done, or like I like my lamb..med rare? Does goat have a strong flavor? So many questions, huh?
Kay, I'm a medium rare kind of guy myself. If you like lamb, I think you would also like goat. IMO, I think it tastes quite a bit like lamb. The thing I think that puts most people off is that it tends to have a lot of fat and bones, and almost always involves a lot of cutting around things to get to the good stuff. But I find it to be a very tasty meat. :chef:

Oh boy, I want sushi :( Haven't had sushi in over a year!

Me neither, that's why I wanted/needed it.

They say don't refreeze the tuna but I couldn't eat it all and refroze about 4-5 ounces that wasn't even soft thawed yet.

I'll haul it out tomorrow night and whip up some wasabi and soy sauce.

I totally understand cats liking fish! (Not that I like cats. I'm a dog person.)

Kay, I'm a medium rare kind of guy myself. If you like lamb, I think you would also like goat. IMO, I think it tastes quite a bit like lamb. The thing I think that puts most people off is that it tends to have a lot of fat and bones, and almost always involves a lot of cutting around things to get to the good stuff. But I find it to be a very tasty meat. :chef:

That's what turned me off seeing goat in my new local Super King market, the goat chunks looked all fat and bones. I think I should try it in a restaurant first.

Same time I was trying to find some lamb that was affordable and not all bones and fat, didn't find that either. Not at a price I can afford. There were nice lamb racks....

It's a cricket, an insect. I don't eat insects except accidentally.

Get back to me if they move lobsters into the insect family...

Me neither, that's why I wanted/needed it.

They say don't refreeze the tuna but I couldn't eat it all and refroze about 4-5 ounces that wasn't even soft thawed yet.

I'll haul it out tomorrow night and whip up some wasabi and soy sauce.

I totally understand cats liking fish! (Not that I like cats. I'm a dog person.)

I haven't had any because we only get frozen fish. Don't live near the coast anymore :(
We do have one supermarket that stocks fresh fish now and again. I really must get a sushi fix soon!

I'm not a big fan of Nori so I prefer Ngiri Sushi, Salmon roses and Sashimi.

I can handle Nori in inside out rolls, somehow having the nori on the inside makes it less offensive :LOL:

:LOL: It is gross! It's not actually a prawn, it's the King Cricket. It's called the Parktown prawn because of the looks and colour and the fact that they are all over Parktown in Natal.

I agree Snip...gross indeed :LOL: :LOL:

I love goat! The loin chops and ribs are my favourite. It is very similar to lamb.
Goats might have a bit of visible fat but it's actually a leaner meat than lamb! Better for you too.

That sounds lovely Isa :)

Thank you, it was quite good! Everything was a hit but the carrots. It was worth the time cooking them for the tortured looks from my son trying to eat a few so he could have dessert lol! We finished off the apple bread so I need to get baking tonight to use up more of the fresh local apples that were gifted to us.

Thank you, it was quite good! Everything was a hit but the carrots. It was worth the time cooking them for the tortured looks from my son trying to eat a few so he could have dessert lol! We finished off the apple bread so I need to get baking tonight to use up more of the fresh local apples that were gifted to us.

Your welcome Isa :)

Your apple bread sounds delicious too :yum:

I don't know if the pic we're discussing is a joke or not, but if it's real (or even not) I would NOT hit it.

There's no bugs on me--or in me.

It was just a joke :LOL: The bugs do exist but we don't eat them, they are really hard to kill. It takes a brick, not even bug spray helps. I once sprayed one with about half a can of doom and it was still alive!!

I haven't had any because we only get frozen fish. Don't live near the coast anymore :(
We do have one supermarket that stocks fresh fish now and again. I really must get a sushi fix soon!

I'm not a big fan of Nori so I prefer Ngiri Sushi, Salmon roses and Sashimi.

I can handle Nori in inside out rolls, somehow having the nori on the inside makes it less offensive :LOL:

Get the QF tuna if you can find it. You can keep it in the freezer for weeks.

Do not--repeat, do not!-- eat tuna or any other raw fish unless it was specifically intended for sushi/sashimi use.

Ordinary supermarket raw fish is not safe to eat raw.

Get the QF tuna if you can find it. You can keep it in the freezer for weeks.

Do not--repeat, do not!-- eat tuna or any other raw fish unless it was specifically intended for sushi/sashimi use.

Ordinary supermarket raw fish is not safe to eat raw.

I'll have to stick to smoked salmon and crab sticks then :(
They don't sell any fish here as sushi grade.

Funny you should say smoked salmon. After years of not having it I've once again gotten hooked on toasted bagel, cream cheese, onion and "lox" or smoked salmon. This breakfast is easier to throw together than my usual fried egg burrito. Unfortunately I forgot to resupply with smoked salmon.

But really, don't eat supermarket fish raw. You need either "caught in the last 24 hours" or QF on the boat.

My research (Google/Internet) indicates that fresh fish should go through a quick freeze cycle to kill parasites, before eating. I'm no authority on that but my sushi grade tuna comes almost hard enough to pound nails.

We have a few Asian markets that sell pre-cut sashimi. I presume they unfroze it just that day. Reminds me, this raw tuna is addictive. I just had it a few days ago. It's after midnight, so the market is closed. Probably a good thing! :)

However, if you're going to have a midnight snack, what could be better than sashimi?

Funny you should say smoked salmon. After years of not having it I've once again gotten hooked on toasted bagel, cream cheese, onion and "lox" or smoked salmon. This breakfast is easier to throw together than my usual fried egg burrito. Unfortunately I forgot to resupply with smoked salmon.

But really, don't eat supermarket fish raw. You need either "caught in the last 24 hours" or QF on the boat.

My research (Google/Internet) indicates that fresh fish should go through a quick freeze cycle to kill parasites, before eating. I'm no authority on that but my sushi grade tuna comes almost hard enough to pound nails.

We have a few Asian markets that sell pre-cut sashimi. I presume they unfroze it just that day. Reminds me, this raw tuna is addictive. I just had it a few days ago. It's after midnight, so the market is closed. Probably a good thing! :)

However, if you're going to have a midnight snack, what could be better than sashimi?

I love smoked salmon :yum:

The supermarket I buy from flash freeze all there fresh fish the day it was caught. Doesn't that mean it would be good for sushi or sashimi?

The fish is always very fresh and I've never gotten ill from eating it raw.
I think the fresh fish they sell might be more of a risk since it's not eaten the same day.

I love sashimi but I do prefer cold smoked since the flavour is better. That being said I still prefer carpaccio over sashimi.
I'm a born carnivore :LOL:

I love smoked salmon :yum:

The supermarket I buy from flash freeze all there fresh fish the day it was caught. Doesn't that mean it would be good for sushi or sashimi?

The fish is always very fresh and I've never gotten ill from eating it raw.
I think the fresh fish they sell might be more of a risk since it's not eaten the same day.

I love sashimi but I do prefer cold smoked since the flavour is better. That being said I still prefer carpaccio over sashimi.
I'm a born carnivore :LOL:
According to the research that I have done with Google, industrially frozen fish is safe from parasites after about 24 hours of freezing (colder temperatures - parasites dead quicker). Should be safe after freezing in a home freezer at -18 C (0 F) after a week.

I make gravad laks with salmon that has been deep frozen. I won't say I never got a parasite, because, how would I know?

Back
Top Bottom