Dinner Tuesday 16th October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cut a boneless, skinless chicken breast in strips and soaked them in Mexicanhot sauce(Ta Patio) for a day. I dipped them in flour and cooked in canola oil. I dipped them in homemade Honey Mustard. Used up the musgos and made a salad.:yum::yum::yum:

I think I will grill them next time.

Last edited:
Everything sounds so good tonight! Kylie's salmon--salmon trout? how's that different than just salmon? same fish caught in fresh water?--and letscook's samon packs, I've done a very similar thing after having it at Marie Callendar's (restaurant) where they pack the fish and vegetables, spices, butter, lemon slices in aluminum foil. I've done that a lot of times, but never tried the parchment paper.

Snip, I love lamb!!! Cerise's Asian throw together sounds good too. I've cooked Asian so long I sometimes just clean out my pantry into the pot, going by instinct. Funny, I usually get something indistinctly Asian but it's always good. I do better when I focus on a specific recipe.

ChefDB how do you cook your Asian chicken? Or is it like a chicken from Asia and pan fried or something? ;)

Steve, your coconut curry with beef/bamboo/basil and spring rolls sounds great! Now I'm sorry I didn't do Asian tonight. But, there's always tomorrow!

I've recently rediscovered fish and I'm still working on my a la Meuneire recipes, still didn't find sole particularly didn't find Petrale sole, so I tried Basa tonight and still the fillet was too thick for good Meuneire. The method IMO needs a very thin fillet--like sole--to come out buttery crispy.

Fillet of Basa Meuneire with Twice Baked Potatoes and Gailan:

Last edited:
Greg, I see you are still playing with your food. Al a Meuneire be darned. I really like the deep rich color you got using this cooking method. I blew your pic up so I can more readily see the details, the bonus in order to do this is it fills my screen. Yum. I hope it tasted as good as it looks. It's a good thing I had dinner earlier too or I would be munching glass.

Thanks Whiska! Truth be known I've been spending more money on props the last few days than on food!

I'm just blown away by all the stuff I found at a dollar store, although the bamboo place mat came from Pier 1 Imports. I bought two 2 of plates (2 each, including the above) and 1 set of 4 (plain white, good for contrast), and a set of 4 square plates, 2 bread dishes and 4 square sauce cups at Pier 1 along with the 2 bamboo mats. I'm headed back to the dollar store tomorrow for yet another set of plates Iblue target design. Not only will I be able to vary the plates in my food photographs to create variety (and match foods to the plates they go best with) but also I can vary them when I have company. I already had two sets of dishes before I got on the food photography kick, 3 pairs if I count the junk from my temporary residence. The dollar stuff is a dollar per item, the Pier one stuff a log more.

Tomorrow I'm headed back to the dollar sore, Pier 1 Imports, and they closed Cost Plus World Market near me so I guess Ill head over to Sherman oaks if my enthusiasm holds up, and as long as I'm out there I might as well stop at Sar Restaurant Supply since it's on he way.

Honestly I'm a bit out of control. I have sets of plates sitting on my couch! I'm going to have to start storing some of his stuff in the cab of my truck. Or maybe I'll add more stuff to the top layer at my storage unit. There's no point in wasting the 2 feet between the top of the existing boxes and the ceiling.

I'm having fun! The linen napkin depicted above is the first one I've ever owned. I'm having lots of fun though. It's going to be great when I get my house

When I get organized I'll probably do a spread of all the different plates and other props I've bought in the last few days.

I better not get that Canon Rebel T4i camera or we're talking serious money!

Last edited:
Truth be known I've been spending more money on props the last few days than on food! ...I'm having fun! I better not get that Canon Rebel T4i camera or we're talking serious money!

I'm excited for your enthusiasm and enjoyment you are having while getting into your photography hobby.

I will probably think about your expanding horizons the next time I stop at the thrift store and tell myself this piece(s) would look nice at home, and then don't touch because I really don't need any more stuff. The only way I can buy anything new is if I am willing to part with something I already have. It has come down to that. And I have a lot of cupboard/ storage space. I don't want to put ideas in your head, but I hear that book cases make great storage for things other than books. And they come in all sizes and price ranges. It's either that, or the bathroom linen closet, as demonstrated by another member who chose to store his kitchen-aid mixer in the BR and lived to tell about it. :ohmy::LOL:

Forgot about those...
Tonight is pulled pork burritos.. will simmer pulled pork in a can of rotel and some taco seasoning.. will have sour cream.. refried beans.. cheese.. lettuce and pickled jalapenos for toppings...

Wrap that pulled pork and rotel up in a tortilla and bake it crispy and you pretty much have a chimichito :chef:

I used way too much chicken. I'll be eating chimichitos or some derivative (nachos) all week :pig:

Just saw your pic, L2Q.
I'll bet if I put sour cream and sauce on refried beans even I could eat them :LOL:
Lookin' good!

Last edited:
Thanks Whiska! Truth be known I've been spending more money on props the last few days than on food!

I'm just blown away by all the stuff I found at a dollar store, although the bamboo place mat came from Pier 1 Imports. I bought two 2 of plates (2 each, including the above) and 1 set of 4 (plain white, good for contrast), and a set of 4 square plates, 2 bread dishes and 4 square sauce cups at Pier 1 along with the 2 bamboo mats. I'm headed back to the dollar store tomorrow for yet another set of plates Iblue target design. Not only will I be able to vary the plates in my food photographs to create variety (and match foods to the plates they go best with) but also I can vary them when I have company. I already had two sets of dishes before I got on the food photography kick, 3 pairs if I count the junk from my temporary residence. The dollar stuff is a dollar per item, the Pier one stuff a log more.

Tomorrow I'm headed back to the dollar sore, Pier 1 Imports, and they closed Cost Plus World Market near me so I guess Ill head over to Sherman oaks if my enthusiasm holds up, and as long as I'm out there I might as well stop at Sar Restaurant Supply since it's on he way.

Honestly I'm a bit out of control. I have sets of plates sitting on my couch! I'm going to have to start storing some of his stuff in the cab of my truck. Or maybe I'll add more stuff to the top layer at my storage unit. There's no point in wasting the 2 feet between the top of the existing boxes and the ceiling.

I'm having fun! The linen napkin depicted above is the first one I've ever owned. I'm having lots of fun though. It's going to be great when I get my house

When I get organized I'll probably do a spread of all the different plates and other props I've bought in the last few days.

I better not get that Canon Rebel T4i camera or we're talking serious money!

Slow down. lol (See "What does a yellow light mean?" - an old joke I've posted from Taxi that's been repeated again & again ;)). Kudos to you for giving it a "shot." The pics that appeal to me are colorful (with sides), & small portions rather than clunky & monochromatic. Some folks use the same plate over & over. Some of the pics I've seen, well, I'd rather not, i.e. dirty fingernails, a whole peach thrown on the grill, take-out & drive-thru food on a plate (& on a desk with overloaded sockets), a sandwich torn in half, & the list goes on. I'm a digital dummy. The recipe/idea is what matters most to me. In any event, good luck & have fun with it.

I don't want to put ideas in your head, but I hear that book cases make great storage for things other than books. And they come in all sizes and price ranges. It's either that, or the bathroom linen closet, as demonstrated by another member who chose to store his kitchen-aid mixer in the BR and lived to tell about it. :ohmy::LOL:
I'm way past that. I have four industrial style shelves from Home Depot, steel frames, 4 shelves about 3-1/2'x2'x6'... and they're with the rest of my stuff in storage. I'm house hunting for a 4BR so I can reserve one BR as a storage room, and I'm looking for a kitchen with a walk in pantry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom