"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
DH and I made dinner and we, and my FIL, took it to the nursing home where my MIL lives. We roasted Cornish game hens stuffed with wild, brown and red rice and green beans simmered in chicken broth with sautéed onions and Italian seasoning. I also made mini cheesecakes with graham cracker crust and dark cherry filling. She enjoyed having a change of pace.
I'm betting that was a huge menu change for both of them GG. Making them feel special is a wonderful gift of the heart.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
DH and I made dinner and we, and my FIL, took it to the nursing home where my MIL lives. We roasted Cornish game hens stuffed with wild, brown and red rice and green beans simmered in chicken broth with sautéed onions and Italian seasoning. I also made mini cheesecakes with graham cracker crust and dark cherry filling. She enjoyed having a change of pace.

Awww. What a nice surprise for her!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
Master Chef

Yummy dinners all around! Beautiful salad, Steve. GG, I'm sure your MIL really loved her home-cooked meal. You're a good daughter-in-law.

Veggie was my almost "famous" Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushrooms dish. I sauteed some shrimp in garlic and butter, then made a a nice pan sauce with a bit of lemon juice and zest and a whole lot of white wine. Instead of serving the shrimp over pasta, I scooped them into small bowls, put in a lot of sauce, and used multi-grain ciabatta bread to soak up the yummy juice. Good enough dinner to warrant a glass of wine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-02 21.02.22.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	25097  
Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The Tues. lunch bunch ladies all went to a new Cuban restaurant today. The only one around I know of, as we're a long way from Cuba.

I've heard people here talk about Cuban Picadillo (Craig and Med I think) so I ordered that. It was good, but I wanted more, so decided to make it for dinner after pouring over online "authentic" recipes.
Funny how everyone claims to have the "authentic" recipes. Anyway, I'm giving it a try although I don't like black raisins so I'm using golden. Don't tell anyone.
Well, sometimes it's hard to be humble, but this was far better than what I had for lunch!! This sure won't be the last time I make Cuban Picadillo.. and the lime dressing salad was perfect with it.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Wonderful looking dinners, CG and Kayelle!

As for the wine, CG, W.C. Fields once said, "I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food."
Old 08-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Well, sometimes it's hard to be humble, but this was far better than what I had for lunch!! This sure won't be the last time I make Cuban Picadillo.. and the lime dressing salad was perfect with it.

I am truly blessed to be married to someone as creative as Kayalle. I tought dinner was killer!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dinner Tuesday 8/2/16?

Mac Davis! Oh Lord, It's Hard to be Humble...https://www.google.com/search?q=matt...&client=safari

Much yumminess!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Ate out...General Tso's chicken, salt and pepper squid, shrimp and eggplant in black been sauce, yu choy. Tiger beer
Old 08-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Mac Davis! Oh Lord, It's Hard to be Humble...https://www.google.com/search?q=matt...&client=safari

Much yumminess!
Oh how well I remember Dawg!! My late husband was a dead ringer for Mac Davis, but he couldn't sing. Adorable though.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

WOW, the dinners tonight! I went out to lunch and had a pastrami sandwich and potato salad - brought some home and nibbled on the rest for dinner.

Kay, that Cuban Picadillo looks wonderful, and to think you whipped that up on the spur of the moment after your ladies lunch! What recipe guidelines did you use? I hear ya on the various 'authentic' but sometimes we don't have quite all the ingredients and want to do kind of a short cut.

Steve...wonderful looking spinach salad! I love all that crispy bacon, mushrooms, and hard cooked eggs. YUM

GG, I'm sure MIL really appreciated that lovely meal and dessert you made, and having family there too. My mom spent several weeks at a time in our small town nursing center/rehab facility for various broken bones or surgeries and I almost always brought her dinner, but it's only 2 miles from here. Big difference from how far you have to travel. The nurses here got so used to it that they started letting me go into their break room and use the microwave so I could warm up Mom's dinners. A home made banana bread or muffins now and then for the nursing staff helped.

CG, great looking dinner, right down to the Brussels. I bought some shrimp today and intended to cook it this evening but lunch was just too much, so the shrimp will be tomorrow.

RR, what did you end up making with the chicken?

Dawg, great video! LOL

Tags
dinner