Dinner Tuesday 8/2/16?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm making a baked ziti with sausage recipe I got from Cook's Country. I'm converting it from a slow cooker recipe to a conventional recipe.

Dinner Tuesday 8/2?

I made beer cheese soup yesterday, and thought it would benefit from the addition of the leftover super-sweet corn DH got a couple days ago that I nuked and cut from the cob. It did.

I'm having a modified chef salad with sliced ham, cheese, romaine, green beans, and a few assorted things found in jars with a tarragon vinaigrette.

We had a copycat/our take on a vegetarian dish from a local place. A burrito made with poblanos, corn, onions, garlic, sour cream, green rice, Chihuahua cheese. Sauce made by Craig with poblanos, tomatillos, onions and I'm not sure what else all roasted on the grill. He made refried black beans for a side. We have enough leftover for another meal plus lunches. I couldn't even eat half of my burrito, and I didn't make them as big as the restaurant does!

Something with chicken. I think I took the last chicken breast out of the freezer last night. I better go check, or I'll be scarfing down a tuna melt or pancakes again.

DH and I made dinner and we, and my FIL, took it to the nursing home where my MIL lives. We roasted Cornish game hens stuffed with wild, brown and red rice and green beans simmered in chicken broth with sautéed onions and Italian seasoning. I also made mini cheesecakes with graham cracker crust and dark cherry filling. She enjoyed having a change of pace.

The Tues. lunch bunch ladies all went to a new Cuban restaurant today. The only one around I know of, as we're a long way from Cuba.

I've heard people here talk about Cuban Picadillo (Craig and Med I think) so I ordered that. It was good, but I wanted more, so decided to make it for dinner after pouring over online "authentic" recipes.
Funny how everyone claims to have the "authentic" recipes. Anyway, I'm giving it a try although I don't like black raisins so I'm using golden. Don't tell anyone.

Tonight I had the wilted spinach salad that I was going to have last night. Last night I ended up sitting at the car dealership until 9:00 pm waiting for my car to be fixed. By the time I got home, I was more tired than hungry and just went to bed.

So tonight... spinach salad, sauteed onions, mushrooms, tossed in a warm bacon vinaigrette. :yum:

img_1474656_0_1592b126c67a8502ee5b6838600418bc.jpg

DH and I made dinner and we, and my FIL, took it to the nursing home where my MIL lives. We roasted Cornish game hens stuffed with wild, brown and red rice and green beans simmered in chicken broth with sautéed onions and Italian seasoning. I also made mini cheesecakes with graham cracker crust and dark cherry filling. She enjoyed having a change of pace.

I'm betting that was a huge menu change for both of them GG. Making them feel special is a wonderful gift of the heart.

Awww. What a nice surprise for her!

Yummy dinners all around! Beautiful salad, Steve. GG, I'm sure your MIL really loved her home-cooked meal. :heart: You're a good daughter-in-law.

Veggie was my almost "famous" Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushrooms dish. I sauteed some shrimp in garlic and butter, then made a a nice pan sauce with a bit of lemon juice and zest and a whole lot of white wine. Instead of serving the shrimp over pasta, I scooped them into small bowls, put in a lot of sauce, and used multi-grain ciabatta bread to soak up the yummy juice. :yum: Good enough dinner to warrant a glass of wine. :D

Attachments

• 2016-08-02 21.02.22.jpg
    2016-08-02 21.02.22.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 112
The Tues. lunch bunch ladies all went to a new Cuban restaurant today. The only one around I know of, as we're a long way from Cuba.

I've heard people here talk about Cuban Picadillo (Craig and Med I think) so I ordered that. It was good, but I wanted more, so decided to make it for dinner after pouring over online "authentic" recipes.
Funny how everyone claims to have the "authentic" recipes. Anyway, I'm giving it a try although I don't like black raisins so I'm using golden. Don't tell anyone.

Well, sometimes it's hard to be humble, but this was far better than what I had for lunch!! This sure won't be the last time I make Cuban Picadillo.. and the lime dressing salad was perfect with it. :yum:

img_1474665_0_7b4efa0dd00a1e2af13b73205ff80818.jpg

Well, sometimes it's hard to be humble, but this was far better than what I had for lunch!! This sure won't be the last time I make Cuban Picadillo.. and the lime dressing salad was perfect with it. :yum:

img_1474667_0_7b4efa0dd00a1e2af13b73205ff80818.jpg
I am truly blessed to be married to someone as creative as Kayalle. I tought dinner was killer!

WOW, the dinners tonight! :yum: I went out to lunch and had a pastrami sandwich and potato salad - brought some home and nibbled on the rest for dinner.

Kay, that Cuban Picadillo looks wonderful, and to think you whipped that up on the spur of the moment after your ladies lunch! What recipe guidelines did you use? I hear ya on the various 'authentic' but sometimes we don't have quite all the ingredients and want to do kind of a short cut. :)

Steve...wonderful looking spinach salad! I love all that crispy bacon, mushrooms, and hard cooked eggs. YUM

GG, I'm sure MIL really appreciated that lovely meal and dessert you made, and having family there too. :heart: My mom spent several weeks at a time in our small town nursing center/rehab facility for various broken bones or surgeries and I almost always brought her dinner, but it's only 2 miles from here. Big difference from how far you have to travel. The nurses here got so used to it that they started letting me go into their break room and use the microwave so I could warm up Mom's dinners. A home made banana bread or muffins now and then for the nursing staff helped. :LOL:

CG, great looking dinner, right down to the Brussels. :yum: I bought some shrimp today and intended to cook it this evening but lunch was just too much, so the shrimp will be tomorrow.

RR, what did you end up making with the chicken? :)

Dawg, great video! LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom