"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

CW, are you saying that this is the time of year for good B sprouts? Will I notice a difference purchasing them in the store now as opposed to a few months ago, or are store sprouts grown year 'round where there isn't a frost (Mexico or something)?
Weird thing is, for all the other local farmers' market offerings, I never see Brussel sprouts.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
CW, are you saying that this is the time of year for good B sprouts? Will I notice a difference purchasing them in the store now as opposed to a few months ago, or are store sprouts grown year 'round where there isn't a frost (Mexico or something)?
Weird thing is, for all the other local farmers' market offerings, I never see Brussel sprouts.
In our growing zone, they are in season right now. If you can find any that are grown in NY, OH, PA, IL, or IN, I'd say they might be better at this time of year. I can't swear to it--I don't buy them.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, I'll pay attention to the packaging and see if my tastebuds tell me anything.
I'll have to ask somebody why the farmers don't grow them around here. Too busy with grapes I imagine.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Wine Guy

I have salt cod soaking in the fridge, so I'm thinking tonight we're having this:

Salt Cod (Bacalao) with Potatoes over Rice | Steamy Kitchen Recipes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sour Cream & Chicken Enchiladas
Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe - Mexican.Food.com - 129926

Changing it out, & using rotisserie chicken, pepper jack cheese, & low fat sour cream. Lime-scented rice on the side.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Master Chef

Don't know yet. It's my son's birthday but he's spending it with his girl and she is cooking for him. Hope to take him out for his birthday dinner this weekend. Guess I need to go peruse the freezer. Seeing all the posts about brussel sprouts makes me want some but not in the mood to hit the store! Once I figure something out, I'll be back.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Eggs, kielbasa, bacon, cheese, shallots, etc. Some kind of frittata tonight.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

Okay, looking in the freezer I have some chicken cordon bleu packages so we'll have that with stuffing and broccoli with cheese sauce.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Master Chef

Dinner done and dusted and I am so glad!!!! Just had the worst kitchen desaster ever. I've got 2 small kids so I have had many and on a scale of 1-10 this rated 20!
Far worse than the exploding condensedmilk, when I broke the pickled beets on my Sunday best, cleaning pumpkin puke off my shaggy beige carpets and even the countless times I flooded my kitchen with the washing machine :(

Let me get to the point here. I made Brussel Sprout Gratin and man did it taste good! Until I dropped it all over the kitchen floor that is. Glass everywhere, brussel sprouts scattered and bechamel sauce that was as hard to get off my tiles as poop off of a woolen blanket!
I used a whole roll of loo paper to get the worst gunk off, searched for glass bits for over an hour, mopped 23 times!!!! yes I counted lol!. Went down on all fours, scrubbed with a kitchen scourer and dettol spray and still my socks were getting stuck to the tiles. Mopped a few more times and just gave up.
I made a new batch, no way I'm letting a little green fart inducing veggie get the better of me! I was so fed up at this point that I burnt my second sauce. Ended up using low fat sour cream instead and some sharp cheddar. I added some carrots since the brussel sprouts were no longer enough but a Gratin was made in the end.
Half my kitchen utensils had to be scrubbed and 5 pots and 1 oven dish, was almost happy that the first dish broke. 1 less to wash lol!

I made chicken and mushroom mini pot pies to go with it, mine without chicken or pastry so I guess I had baked mushroom gravy.
My family loved it but I don't even want to look at a brussel sprout right now. Not sure I'll ever look at them the same way again!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Snip))) sounds awful.

Tags
dinner