Dinner Tuesday 9th of October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Not sure yet but it will include brussel sprouts!

Any ideas for using frozen brussel sprouts? I always use fresh, not sure how to make these frozen green balls taste good lol!

Tonight Steve made us a lovely pizza...gee it was tasty!

Salami, tomato, mozzarella cheese, onion, pineapple and capsicum :yum:

Breaded pork chops

Butternut squash

Brussels sprouts

Baked potatoes

Does anyone know how long Brussels sprouts will keep while still attached to the stalk?

I am not sure if I should cook them all and freeze some or if I can use them fresh over the next couple of weeks.

Breaded pork chops

Butternut squash

Brussels sprouts

Baked potatoes

Does anyone know how long Brussels sprouts will keep while still attached to the stalk?

I am not sure if I should cook them all and freeze some or if I can use them fresh over the next couple of weeks.

I buy fresh brussel sprouts all the time and I find they last longer if you put them in a vase of cool water and just pick when you need them.

Any idea what to do with frozen brussel sprouts Aunt B? I bought some on sale and I don't know what to do with them. Everyone I know say that they are not the same as fresh.

I buy fresh brussel sprouts all the time and I find they last longer if you put them in a vase of cool water and just pick when you need them.

Any idea what to do with frozen brussel sprouts Aunt B? I bought some on sale and I don't know what to do with them. Everyone I know say that they are not the same as fresh.

I cook them in a small amount of water and then dress them with butter and sometimes a little balsamic vinegar.

They taste fine but, the texture is mushy, reminds me of the school cafeteria when I was a kid. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Breaded pork chops

Butternut squash

Brussels sprouts

Baked potatoes

Sounds lovely Bea :chef:

Hi Aunt Bea and Snip,

I think brussels sprouts are a bit of an aquired taste and their flavour is a bit strong for many peoples palates.

I used to grow them in my garden when i was in UK many years ago and found that the flavour changed quite noticeably for the better if they weren't picked until the plant had experienced at least one severe frost. Then they were delicious. I loved them.

Now I'm living in Australia and I very rarely eat them because they don't get that frost.

Pho

Hi Kylie, nice to see you over here.

Last edited:
Hi Aunt Bea and Snip,

I think brussels sprouts are a bit of an aquired taste and their flavour is a bit strong for many peoples palates.

I used to grow them in my garden when i was in UK many years ago and found that the flavour changed quite noticeably for the better if they weren't picked until the plant had experienced at least one severe frost. Then they were delicious. I loved them.

Now I'm living in Australia and I very rarely eat them because they don't get that frost.

Pho

Hi Kylie, nice to see you over here.

I am glad you posted this!

I mentioned the idea of a frost on a different thread the other day and the Taxlady told me to cook a few and then toss my remaining sprouts in the freezer to see if it made a difference! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It must have some basis in fact if people in other parts of the world have the same belief!

Welcome to DC!

That is interesting information.

I think tonight I will take the last of the sausage sloppy joe mixture and mix in some sauteed green peppers and cooked shells for American goulash. Garlic bread and salad to round things out.

I am glad you posted this!

I mentioned the idea of a frost on a different thread the other day and the Taxlady told me to cook a few and then toss my remaining sprouts in the freezer to see if it made a difference! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It must have some basis in fact if people in other parts of the world have the same belief!

Welcome to DC!
We grow b'sprouts. They are not easy to pick off the stalk or to pull the entire plant...ours are huge. I have to use an ax. However, we do leave ours until after the first (or 2nd or 3rd) frost to allow them to sweeten. We do the same re: leaving rutabaga and parsnips in the ground.

I don't know if this would work or not, but I do know that some people toss kale in the freezer for about 30 minutes to sweeten it before cooking it.

We had b'sprouts last night, they were very tender and sweet. I will be keeping the ones I didn't cook in the crisper--they keep about 10 days, sometimes longer.

CW, are you saying that this is the time of year for good B sprouts? Will I notice a difference purchasing them in the store now as opposed to a few months ago, or are store sprouts grown year 'round where there isn't a frost (Mexico or something)?
Weird thing is, for all the other local farmers' market offerings, I never see Brussel sprouts.

CW, are you saying that this is the time of year for good B sprouts? Will I notice a difference purchasing them in the store now as opposed to a few months ago, or are store sprouts grown year 'round where there isn't a frost (Mexico or something)?
Weird thing is, for all the other local farmers' market offerings, I never see Brussel sprouts.
In our growing zone, they are in season right now. If you can find any that are grown in NY, OH, PA, IL, or IN, I'd say they might be better at this time of year. I can't swear to it--I don't buy them:LOL:.

Thanks, I'll pay attention to the packaging and see if my tastebuds tell me anything.
I'll have to ask somebody why the farmers don't grow them around here. Too busy with grapes I imagine.

Don't know yet. It's my son's birthday but he's spending it with his girl and she is cooking for him. Hope to take him out for his birthday dinner this weekend. Guess I need to go peruse the freezer. Seeing all the posts about brussel sprouts makes me want some but not in the mood to hit the store! Once I figure something out, I'll be back.

Okay, looking in the freezer I have some chicken cordon bleu packages so we'll have that with stuffing and broccoli with cheese sauce.

Dinner done and dusted and I am so glad!!!! Just had the worst kitchen desaster ever. I've got 2 small kids so I have had many and on a scale of 1-10 this rated 20!
Far worse than the exploding condensedmilk, when I broke the pickled beets on my Sunday best, cleaning pumpkin puke off my shaggy beige carpets and even the countless times I flooded my kitchen with the washing machine :(

Let me get to the point here. I made Brussel Sprout Gratin and man did it taste good! Until I dropped it all over the kitchen floor that is. Glass everywhere, brussel sprouts scattered and bechamel sauce that was as hard to get off my tiles as poop off of a woolen blanket!
I used a whole roll of loo paper to get the worst gunk off, searched for glass bits for over an hour, mopped 23 times!!!! yes I counted lol!. Went down on all fours, scrubbed with a kitchen scourer and dettol spray and still my socks were getting stuck to the tiles. Mopped a few more times and just gave up.
I made a new batch, no way I'm letting a little green fart inducing veggie get the better of me! I was so fed up at this point that I burnt my second sauce. Ended up using low fat sour cream instead and some sharp cheddar. I added some carrots since the brussel sprouts were no longer enough but a Gratin was made in the end.
Half my kitchen utensils had to be scrubbed and 5 pots and 1 oven dish, was almost happy that the first dish broke. 1 less to wash lol!

I made chicken and mushroom mini pot pies to go with it, mine without chicken or pastry so I guess I had baked mushroom gravy.
My family loved it but I don't even want to look at a brussel sprout right now. Not sure I'll ever look at them the same way again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom