"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
Master Chef

Dinner Tuesday 9th of October

Not sure yet but it will include brussel sprouts!

Any ideas for using frozen brussel sprouts? I always use fresh, not sure how to make these frozen green balls taste good lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Tonight Steve made us a lovely pizza...gee it was tasty!

Salami, tomato, mozzarella cheese, onion, pineapple and capsicum

Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Master Chef

Breaded pork chops

Butternut squash

Brussels sprouts

Baked potatoes

Does anyone know how long Brussels sprouts will keep while still attached to the stalk?

I am not sure if I should cook them all and freeze some or if I can use them fresh over the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Breaded pork chops

Butternut squash

Brussels sprouts

Baked potatoes

Does anyone know how long Brussels sprouts will keep while still attached to the stalk?

I am not sure if I should cook them all and freeze some or if I can use them fresh over the next couple of weeks.
I buy fresh brussel sprouts all the time and I find they last longer if you put them in a vase of cool water and just pick when you need them.

Any idea what to do with frozen brussel sprouts Aunt B? I bought some on sale and I don't know what to do with them. Everyone I know say that they are not the same as fresh.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I buy fresh brussel sprouts all the time and I find they last longer if you put them in a vase of cool water and just pick when you need them.

Any idea what to do with frozen brussel sprouts Aunt B? I bought some on sale and I don't know what to do with them. Everyone I know say that they are not the same as fresh.
I cook them in a small amount of water and then dress them with butter and sometimes a little balsamic vinegar.

They taste fine but, the texture is mushy, reminds me of the school cafeteria when I was a kid.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Breaded pork chops

Butternut squash

Brussels sprouts

Baked potatoes

Sounds lovely Bea
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hi Aunt Bea and Snip,

I think brussels sprouts are a bit of an aquired taste and their flavour is a bit strong for many peoples palates.

I used to grow them in my garden when i was in UK many years ago and found that the flavour changed quite noticeably for the better if they weren't picked until the plant had experienced at least one severe frost. Then they were delicious. I loved them.

Now I'm living in Australia and I very rarely eat them because they don't get that frost.

Pho

Hi Kylie, nice to see you over here.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phocaena View Post
Hi Aunt Bea and Snip,

I think brussels sprouts are a bit of an aquired taste and their flavour is a bit strong for many peoples palates.

I used to grow them in my garden when i was in UK many years ago and found that the flavour changed quite noticeably for the better if they weren't picked until the plant had experienced at least one severe frost. Then they were delicious. I loved them.

Now I'm living in Australia and I very rarely eat them because they don't get that frost.

Pho

Hi Kylie, nice to see you over here.
I am glad you posted this!

I mentioned the idea of a frost on a different thread the other day and the Taxlady told me to cook a few and then toss my remaining sprouts in the freezer to see if it made a difference!

It must have some basis in fact if people in other parts of the world have the same belief!

Welcome to DC!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

That is interesting information.

I think tonight I will take the last of the sausage sloppy joe mixture and mix in some sauteed green peppers and cooked shells for American goulash. Garlic bread and salad to round things out.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I am glad you posted this!

I mentioned the idea of a frost on a different thread the other day and the Taxlady told me to cook a few and then toss my remaining sprouts in the freezer to see if it made a difference!

It must have some basis in fact if people in other parts of the world have the same belief!

Welcome to DC!
We grow b'sprouts. They are not easy to pick off the stalk or to pull the entire plant...ours are huge. I have to use an ax. However, we do leave ours until after the first (or 2nd or 3rd) frost to allow them to sweeten. We do the same re: leaving rutabaga and parsnips in the ground.

I don't know if this would work or not, but I do know that some people toss kale in the freezer for about 30 minutes to sweeten it before cooking it.

We had b'sprouts last night, they were very tender and sweet. I will be keeping the ones I didn't cook in the crisper--they keep about 10 days, sometimes longer.

Tags
dinner