"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
What marinade did you use? I came away with 2 logs of pork tenderloin that didn't get used at Thanksgiving and I don't know what I will do with them...probably save it for a dinner at the new house...or not.
Beth, there are a couple of Weber brand marinade mixes we really like. For the pork tenderloin I used a white wine and herb marinade.

I also like a sesame ginger marinade.

C Soy Sauce
2 Tb Dry Sherry
1 Tb Dark Sesame Oil
2 tsp Ginger, grated
1 tsp Garlic, grated

1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Chili Oil





__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Seems the daily dinner thread is losing its allure.
I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of it is just related to the time of year.

During the warm seasons, I spend a lot more time preparing meals. My daughter is also home from college and gets very excited for home cooked dinners. So there's a little more gratification involved.

In the winter, I just simply don't cook as much. On the days I have to go into the office, it's often dark by the time I get home, and I just don't feel like cooking a big dinner. To compensate, I might make a big pot of stew or chili on the weekend and then we nibble away on that during the week. We also have a tendency to eat out more in the winter.

Then there's Thanksgiving. T-day, for our family anyway, means lots of leftovers to use up. And that is about all we've been eating for the last week, albeit in different guises.

So for me the reason is that there isn't always much to report. I could simply say "leftovers again" but I don't think anyone would find that interesting.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of it is just related to the time of year.

During the warm seasons, I spend a lot more time preparing meals. My daughter is also home from college and gets very excited for home cooked dinners. So there's a little more gratification involved.

In the winter, I just simply don't cook as much. On the days I have to go into the office, it's often dark by the time I get home, and I just don't feel like cooking a big dinner. To compensate, I might make a big pot of stew or chili on the weekend and then we nibble away on that during the week. We also have a tendency to eat out more in the winter.

Then there's Thanksgiving. T-day, for our family anyway, means lots of leftovers to use up. And that is about all we've been eating for the last week, albeit in different guises.

So for me the reason is that there isn't always much to report. I could simply say "leftovers again" but I don't think anyone would find that interesting.
I think Andy was referring to the fact that over the last month or so, it's become later and later in the day before anyone even starts the thread.

A lot of people might be interested in Thanksgiving leftover recipes! You might have something different that someone else hasn't thought of.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Bluffs
Posts: 78
We had a simple meal of veal scallopini with a splash of lemon, accompanied by baked potato gratin and a pepperonata.

The big adventure for me was a snack of baked kale chips, which I made before dinner. OMG they were heavenly....and I didn't believe anything kale would ever qualify for that descriptor!
__________________
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Beth, there are a couple of Weber brand marinade mixes we really like. For the pork tenderloin I used a white wine and herb marinade.

I also like a sesame ginger marinade.

C Soy Sauce
2 Tb Dry Sherry
1 Tb Dark Sesame Oil
2 tsp Ginger, grated
1 tsp Garlic, grated
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Chili Oil




Looks good, Thanks. I was looking for something different from my usual bulgogi marinade.
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think Andy was referring to the fact that over the last month or so, it's become later and later in the day before anyone even starts the thread....
Could be too that people don't start one when they look because they want to give someone different a chance. I know that's the reason I don't bother if I log in early in the afternoon and one hasn't been started, to let someone else have at it. Meanwhile, I'm always here very late at night/early into the "next day" before most North Americans check in. It's not so good for a sleep pattern when our dear European members start showing up and I haven't gone to bed yet!

If you guys want, I could start the day's dinner thread somewhere around 1 or 2 AM. That way it's here to greet all your smiling faces when you first log in! I'm no Kylie and I don't plan my meals two weeks in advance, but I tend to shop once a week and know what will be planned for dinner the next 7 days after shopping. One caveat: anything I mention as that day's dinner before daybreak is subject to change.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I think we are all just taking turns, too, but the thread reflects the forum IMO. The post count has gone down all the way around. Even when this thread is started in the AM it doesn't get as many replies.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Oh, and Harry hasn't been around. His pictures always garnered a lot of replies, so that might be affecting the length of this thread and how many people reply, too.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #29
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think Andy was referring to the fact that over the last month or so, it's become later and later in the day before anyone even starts the thread.
I've had a change in schedule at work. I work late a few nights during the week, and on the weekends I usually play with my band. I'm only cooking dinner a couple of nights a week now. And that is usually late. The dinner thread is one of my favorites.
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.