"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I don't think I've ever posted a recipe for stuffed jumbo shells. I have several ways I prepare them. Tonight I'm going to stuff the shells with ricotta, Parmesan, chopped spinach, onions, nutmeg, garlic, and an egg. I'll boil the shells until al dente, stuff them and put them in a casserole that has some marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan. Spoon a little more sauce over and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until hot and cheese melts.

Yes, the shells can be found in the pasta section of the market. I don't make pasta shells, but I do make a lot of our pasta. I especially like spinach linguine.

Ah, shucks, ma'am. Your hero. I'm honored.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I don't think I've ever posted a recipe for stuffed jumbo shells. I have several ways I prepare them. Tonight I'm going to stuff the shells with ricotta, Parmesan, chopped spinach, onions, nutmeg, garlic, and an egg. I'll boil the shells until al dente, stuff them and put them in a casserole that has some marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan. Spoon a little more sauce over and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until hot and cheese melts.

Yes, the shells can be found in the pasta section of the market. I don't make pasta shells, but I do make a lot of our pasta. I especially like spinach linguine.

Ah, shucks, m'aam. Your hero. I'm honored.
OK, this might be attainable for me. It sounds like the same kind of stuffing that is in the frozen ones (although I'm sure 1000 times better) and that's the way I bake them, except for longer since they're frozen. Is the egg raw and mixed in as a binder or cooked and chopped up? Sorry to be asking such basic questions.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I did stuffed rigatoni with a vodka sauce not to long ago. Good lord what was I thinking?!?!?!?! That is a PAIN to do. I didn’t have a piping bag, and I figured the Ziploc bag trick wouldn’t work for such a labor intensive job, so I modified a turkey injector. I’ve got 4 or more laying around, so one of them took one for the team. I cut the spout of and made a 1/4 inch hole in the end cap and used it to stuff the rigatoni.

At first, I had some spurts and splashes and a few shots to the face! But I got used to the modified tool and soon it worked pretty well, but man that was a LOT of work. A piping bag would help a whole lot with this…….and even though it was a great dish, I don’t know that I’ll ever do it again! I hope stuffing jumbo shells is easier!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
OK, this might be attainable for me. It sounds like the same kind of stuffing that is in the frozen ones (although I'm sure 1000 times better) and that's the way I bake them, except for longer since they're frozen. Is the egg raw and mixed in as a binder or cooked and chopped up? Sorry to be asking such basic questions.
No, the egg is raw and, as you mentioned, used as a binder.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Head Chef

quick ham...potatoe...and corn casserole in the crock pot. just cut up and cubed potatoes...already cooked ham....corn and cheesy brocoli soup.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
No, the egg is raw and, as you mentioned, used as a binder.
Thanks so much Katie. I'll let you know how I make out!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I roasted a chicken, sauteed baby bella shrooms, couscous with baby peas and some green beans. It was good, but I was starving!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Made a veal stew for the family with baby yukons, sweet peas, baby carotts, celery,onions,garlic, artichoke hearts, white zucchini, and sweet red bells and mushrooms. Home made french bread,green salad with apple slices,toasted walnuts and some gorgonzola crumbles..Me, toast and tea, no appy at all, injections did me in this week..YUK
did make some baked apples for the gang that smell so good.
kadesma
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 AM   #19
Executive Chef

In honor of the Spam thread, I made Spam Fried Rice

Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

Last night I served fresh (as in Buitoni fresh - lol) whole-wheat tortellini tossed with a tomato cream-cheese sauce. Fast & delicious.