"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Goulash!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Moderator

After four days of pulled chicken or pulled pork BBQ, I had enough. Went to the store to get some ground beef that was on sale and found the butcher putting out marked-down Porterhouse and rib-eye steaks.

Sooo tonight will be grilled steak, onions, and peppers with pasta and potato salad.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver View Post
Goulash!

That looks yummy Lifesaver
Not what we call goulash in South Africa but it looks nice.
Funny how different things have different names in other countries!
We make goulash with cubed beef.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Snip, that's called goulash in some areas and American chop suey in others. It's one of those regional things. It's just not called Hungarian goulash (gulyas), which is the traditional version you are probably more close to making, with cubed meat and lots of paprika. This type of goulash is really nothing more than pasta cooked in meat sauce. Lifesaver has the two most important things though... which means like mom used to make, lol... shell pasta and green peppers! We even had goulash day on the school menu, they used elbow macaroni though.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Snip, that's called goulash in some areas and American chop suey in others. It's one of those regional things. It's just not called Hungarian goulash (gulyas), which is the traditional version you are probably more close to making, with cubed meat and lots of paprika. This type of goulash is really nothing more than pasta cooked in meat sauce. Lifesaver has the two most important things though... which means like mom used to make, lol... shell pasta and green peppers! We even had goulash day on the school menu, they used elbow macaroni though.
Thanks P
I've learned something new today
It's mind boggling just posting a recipe! I have to remember to type ketchup instead of tomato sauce, cilantro instead of coriander, minced or ground beef instead of just mince, fries instead of chips, kebabs instead of sosaties, ounces instead of grams!!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

sweet and sour chicken with leftover white meat chicken. oriental noodles of some kind. have two or three kinds. ice cream for dessert.

had the great granddaughters again today. still have to clean up the mess, but it is a fun mess. i am however pooped. so no real cooking today.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I'm trying this tonight
Grilled Mac and Cheese With Pulled Pork Recipe : Review : : Food Network
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

For us it's Shrimp salad with big big shrimp, celery, green onions, crumbled bacon, dump on baby spinach with garlic, some butter lettuce, mix Dijon, evoo, sherry vinegar, evoo sprinkle with salt and crushed black pepper will make the dressing hot and then pour over the salad and will ad some home made crutons browned in butter. More bread and butter and grilled corn.
kades
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
No, my mom never made it... I got the idea from an aunt from my fathers side of the family when she made some for me when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I have loved it ever since.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #20
Senior Cook

The grilled mac-n-cheese and pulled pork sandwich helped me to find the 15lbs that Rocklobster is trying to lose.

Tags
dinner