Dinner Wednesday 11-27-2013 ~ To Fast, or Stretch the Tummy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
T'was the day before Turkey Day, I looked at my thighs. :ohmy:
"I have to stop eating and get rid of you guys!"
But tomorrow is feast day, so what should I do?
I'm make a big salad and a steaming bowl of so(up). :)

Using some leftover rotisserie chicken, I'll make a small pot of Asian Noodle Soup. I'll make two salads full of good things (celery, carrots, mushrooms, radish, green and black olives, tomato, cheese, hard-cooked eggs). To mine I'll add some leftover chicken and ham to make a chef's salad. Himself likes his meat in a sandwich so I'll Panini up one or both meats for him. If the temperature drops like they're saying (we're in the upper 50s now, but not for long) we'll finish off a bottle of Port from what's left after making the cranberry relish. :ermm: :LOL:

Just how much of that port went into the relish? :LOL:

I might fix wings for dinner. I haven't had them in a while.

Trying to keep the refrigerator as uncluttered as possible so it'll be leftover lasagna and homemade baguette turned into garlic bread. Might have to try some of the pumpkin pie for dessert.

I cheated and used a commercially-made pie crust and the pumpkin pie recipe made so much filling that it filled two pie shells, which gave us a "bonus" pie. Wouldn't it be a shame to let it go to waste (waist)?:rolleyes::LOL:

Been tasting dressing, gravy, and cranberry orange sauce that will be my contribution to tomorrow's dinner. Not so hungry right now.

I ground some beef from "that cow". I used the new food processor. Wow! That was a lot quicker than the meat grinder for ~700 grams of beef. I was worried that the texture would be weird, but it was fine.

I used the aforementioned ground beef to make meatloaf. We had the meatloaf with leftover mashed potatoes and gravy, and I made cole slaw. I used some of the leftover, bland ranch dressing along with mayo and a splash of cider vinegar on the cole slaw. It was all quite good. The meatloaf wasn't as "juicy" as usual, but the beef that I ground was quite lean, ~5% fat.

I got caught up in a movie and didn't get to putting the wings on the grill, so I'm making a couple BLT's right now watching the end of K-PAX. That movie I can miss a few parts.

Pan fried pork cutlets and pan fried potatoes. Mrs D has the flu so chicken soup for her.
img_1322640_0_e5f81ab0ade8e1639c4f10a025494992.jpg

We're having lau lau (pork and fish wrapped in luau leaf) and lomi lomi salmon on rice. Pre-made from Costco. I've been cooking all day for tomorrow's meal. No energy to cook for today.

Just how much of that port went into the relish? :LOL:
The garage got cleaned but the cranberry sauce hasn't been made yet...unfortunately. Haven't opened the port yet but I am sipping on my tankard of Butternut Ale. Himself went to one of out local craft breweries and picked up a growler of their latest seasonal brew so we could take it to his sis's for dinner tomorrow. Sure hope there is enough left - this stuff is GOOD!:yum:

No I didn't Steve, although that sounds really good. I have a recipe I cut out of an issue of Good Housekeeping a while back. Found the recipe on the GH site in case you're interested: Cranberry Sauce with Apples and Port - Good Housekeeping.

I've tweaked it a bit over the years. I use a scant 1/2 cup of sugar and it is half white/half dark brown sugar. Not as sweet but a richer flavor. Better get cracking so I don't have to do ALL the sides tomorrow.

Left over pork chops, left over salted-vinegar smashed potatoes that my bride quartered and reheated in bacon grease, fried eggs and a salad to start.

....and the pumpkin pie recipe made so much filling that it filled two pie shells, which gave us a "bonus" pie. Wouldn't it be a shame to let it go to waste (waist)?:rolleyes::LOL:

Katie, your post reminded me of the year I was tasked with the pie making for Thanksgiving. I started out with the pumpkin. The pies were for the family get together so we needed more than one! I decided on 2 pumpkin, 1 pecan, and 1 buttermilk. Mixed up the dough from Grandpa Jackson's fail proof recipe. Mixed up the pumpkin pie filling doubling the recipe. Got the two pie pans layered with crust and poured in the filling. Had enough left for a third pie! Rolled out more crust and made a third pumpkin pie. "oh well, we'll just have some left overs" I thought. Then I proceeded to the pecan pie. I had to mix up more pie crust dough (recipe makes 3 pies) and rolled it out for the pecan pie. Mixed up the filling as per directions on the Karo syrup bottle. Poured the filling in the crust and still had enough for a second pie! So made another pecan pie. I'm thinking, "Do I make the buttermilk pie since I now have 5 pies?" Well, some of the family don't like pumpkin and some don't like pecan. It will be nice to try a new pie this year for variety. I had dough left so figured I might as well. Mixed up the buttermilk pie filling and made a buttermilk pie but had some filling left over. Not enough for a full pie so I used my custard cups and made 2 small tarts. That was the last year they asked me to make pie! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

I had some hamburger so cooked it up into taco meat and had it with flour tortillas.

Back
Top Bottom