Dinner, Wednesday 15th April.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wyshiepoo

Senior Cook
Tamarind Chicken with Balti Dal.

Been looking forward to making this as wanted to make use of two of my new ingredients.

Yellow lentils, not sure if they are chang dal, chana dal or moong dal, the name seems interchangeable. They seem to cook quicker than other lentils I've used and basically go to a 'mush'

Asafoetida, interesting and quite smelly.

Tamarind Chicken with Balti Dal.

Been looking forward to making this as wanted to make use of two of my new ingredients.

Yellow lentils, not sure if they are chang dal, chana dal or moong dal, the name seems interchangeable. They seem to cook quicker than other lentils I've used and basically go to a 'mush'

Asafoetida, interesting and quite smelly.

Looks lovely. A tip from a friend's MIL (who is Indian), keep the Asafoetida in a sealed jar once opened (what we get here is sold in a little shaker like salt). I don't use it often, but it is the Indian spices section in my spice cabinet (it is now a cabinet). I just popped the container in a 500 ml. canning jar (discovered I had an unopened on when I reorg'd my spices and herbs). There are two containers there--probably won't need to buy more for a decade...

Last edited:
I made a pork loin roast, 'taters and gravy, corn, asparagus and cranberry relish. Plenty of leftover everything and wouldn't you know today Dx went out of town for a few days,

Pot luck tonight, expecting about 22 folks. Lots of good foods friends have signed up to bring. I (successfully) baked 2 loaves of bread, French and herbed, and made a dozen hamburger buns. I think I have finally figured out how to get bread to rise at 7000 ft elevation.

I'm "cooking on paper" tonight. Got a few ideas for recipes, so am playing with those so I can pick up the ingredients I'm missing and give them a whirl over the weekend. One is Turkish, another is South African...

Pretzel bread bowls with cheddar/beer/bacon soup.
37240-albums1008-picture6206.jpg

Bread bowls above.

37240-albums1008-picture6207.jpg

The bread was a bit soft, wobbly, so didn't trust it to not collapse and make a mess so ended up using bowls anyway. They didn't collapse but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
I gave Himself a choice between a mushroom-cheese omelet and baon-fried potato breakfast-for-dinner, or chicken ala king. The winner dinner:

Attachments

• 2015-04-15 20.56.55.jpg
    2015-04-15 20.56.55.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 179
I made supper! Yes,it did use up all my spoons, but it was worth it. Salad with tuna and hard boiled eggs and a ranchoid salad dressing.

1509235_10155454374685191_4201028450039282931_n.jpg

11139424_10155454375585191_5185342902675938747_n.jpg

Ohh my! After seeing all this, I'm embarrassed to say our dinner.

We just had a simple dinner, but one we do love. We had seasoned great northern beans, cornbread, and an odd bowl of cut up canteloupe, apples (honeycrisp), raspberries, and sliced and cut up peaches.

Sometimes we do without meat in our meals but wow...you never have to do without flavor and adapting.

That looks and sounds really tasty. Any chance of seeing the recipe for that soup?

Sure, I'll type it out later today.

Your dinner looked good too. Shhhh, don't tell anybody, but I ordered Craig some super premium canned tuna as a surprise. Maybe I'll suck it up (normally can't stand canned tuna) and try this in a nicoise or something similar salad if he doesn't want to hog it all for himself, which would be fine too.

Last edited:
Sure, I'll type it out later today.

Your dinner looked good too. Shhhh, don't tell anybody, but I ordered Craig some super premium canned tuna as a surprise. Maybe I'll suck it up (normally can't stand canned tuna) and try this in a nicoise or something similar salad if he doesn't want to hog it all for himself, which would be fine too.
Thank you and thank you. And, once that tuna arrives, we want a review. ;)

Back
Top Bottom