Dinner Wednesday, 2-11-2015 ~ Winners' Wednesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I wonder what the chances are that Cheryl and I will post today's thread at the same time again...

Even if you're eating a fast food burger, you're a winner in my book. Now your meal? Probably not so much. :LOL:

After last night's recipe fail, I was almost hesitant to try another new recipe. Oh My, did I find a winner tonight! Crock pot simple, few ingredients. This one will be finding its way to a bowl in our house regularly: Tiny French Beans with Smoked Sausage.

Tonight's dinner was chicken and basil ravioli topped with a tomato basil sauce and parm. reg. cheese.

Leftover chicken breast topped with crispy bacon, melted cheddar cheese and a few pickled hot pepper rings, a side salad and iced tea.

I feel like a winner too. No Cooking, no dishes to do and best of all, Dinner was ready on the spot. Neighborhood church had its annual winter dinner.

Very good baked ham carved off the bone, homemade Svedish meatballs, Creamy scalloped potatoes. Canned green beans and plain canned sweet potatoes. I spooned some creamy sauce over the sweets otherwise they were a bit dry. For dessert there was cherry pie. They hand make their pie crusts, using some old Gramma's recipe. it is crisp and very flaky. One person at our table said she made pie crusts all day yesterday. The filling they use is pitted tart canned cherries, not pre-made pie filling, I think they must cook it up or somehow it gets thicker and then poured into the crust, maybe even finished as needed just before serving, because even the bottom of the pastry is still crisp. Different, good, and the pastry as I say is top notch.

Cooking on the grill tonight. It's too dang hot for this time of year, in the 80's and the Santa Ana winds blowing like a blow torch. Wish I could blow just some of this summer weather to those of you so cold and snowed in.
Anyway, I'll be doing a basket of marinated veggies and shrimps on the barby.

Last edited:
I wonder what the chances are that Cheryl and I will post today's thread at the same time again...

Even if you're eating a fast food burger, you're a winner in my book. Now your meal? Probably not so much. :LOL:

After last night's recipe fail, I was almost hesitant to try another new recipe. Oh My, did I find a winner tonight! Crock pot simple, few ingredients. This one will be finding its way to a bowl in our house regularly: Tiny French Beans with Smoked Sausage.

LOL. Pretty close - I was going to start a dinner thread and got smart this time and looked to see who was online and posting a dinner thread before I hit submit. :LOL:

Not only that, I did have a fast food burger and fries late this afternoon from Burger King. Now I remember why I rarely have fast food. :sick:

Sounds good, CG. Saved it. :)

Last edited:
2 kinds of burritos, both with green rice and chiuaua and queso fresco cheese. One filling was the rest of the lime, cilantro, garlic marinated grilled chicken from the freezer plus sauteed onion, red bell, jalapeno. The other was a copycat attempt from a local Mexi restaurant of roasted pablanos, corn, onion and sour cream, a vegetarian recipe. I think next time I'll use crema but I got pretty darn close.

I really loved the restaurant when they first opened but then the 'good' part of their fillings started to be replaced with cheap fillers like rice, which is why I decided to attempt the copycat.

Last edited:
Cooking on the grill tonight. It's too dang hot for this time of year, in the 80's and the Santa Ana winds blowing like a blow torch. Wish I could blow just some of this summer weather to those of you so cold and snowed in.
Anyway, I'll be doing a basket of marinated veggies and shrimps on the
barby.

img_1409566_0_e9f471fdc71d08779218ad47414b4e54.jpg

Haven't tried it on shrimp yet, sounds downright elegant, Kay!

Kayelle, that plate looks delish! :yum: That pic is prepping my appetite for the weekend. We'll be at home for Valentine's Day, and I planned on making shrimp. But we won't be grilling outside. I figure I'll be making them on my CI grill.

[URL="http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tiny-french-beans-with-smoked-sausage"]http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tiny-french-beans-with-smoked-sausage[/URL]
...Sounds good, CG. Saved it. :)
Just a couple notes for you Cheryl, in case you make this. 1) The online recipe calls for 1# of sausage. I had a paper recipe that used 2# but the rest of the recipe was identical. I had only 1 1/2# on hand, cut the pieces a bit smaller (3/4 to one inch). Worked fine. 2) I couldn't find "flageolet" beans in the store, they were at least $6 online, and I'm cheap. I used Goya's "small white beans", which look (and probably are) navy beans. 3) I started this so late I thought it wouldn't be ready in time. Instead, I poured boiling water over the beans while I prepped everything else. Did that twice, actually: soak/drain/soak. Did cook them on high and everything was done in four hours. And 4) Stock up on Beano and dose regularly when eating this. We didn't. There is a small, green cloud hanging over our house today...:ermm: :nuke:

Back
Top Bottom