Dinner Wednesday 23rd January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've made Chilli my way (with lentils instead of beans and chilli spices and a hint of curry) with brown rice. This is for hubby and kids.
I made myself a hot and tangy vegetable soup with loads of onion, celery, zucchini and some carrots and fresh chicken stock.
The chilli and soup turned out well. I love spicy food!

This is a great idea to prepare in the dinner because I'm also I love spicy food ,:yum:
Thank you so much MS Snip 13 for this idea:chef:

I'm not sure, yet. It is beastly cold. I am thinking either beef stew with yorkshire pudding or turkey and dumpling soup...first I have to figure out how to get the sink to drain so I can finish the dishes.

I just finished some fried chicken for lunch. I think I will take the two leftover breasts and turn them into chicken & biscuits for dinner.

I'm trying something new. I have a package of Chicken Sukka spices. I plan on browning some chicken, adding some onion, potato and carrots and a can of coconut milk. This is probably not a correct Sukka but I'm looking for something curry stew like.

It's Wednesday night dinner with friends, but it's Restaurant Week, so instead of our usual cheap dive, we're going to Omar's Carriage House - three courses for $30. I think I'll have the Wild Mushroom Bruschetta, Seafood Cake and Chocolate Mousse.

Dang, Rock, had I known, I would have skipped making the Corn-Potato-Shrimp Chowder I made tonight. I went digging in the freezer and found some corn (from the garden), about 1/2 lb of Tiger Shrimp, and 2 c of shrimp stock. I put about 6 potatoes, diced in 2-1/2c milk with the corn and shrimp stock, simmered that. In the meantime, I steamed the shrimp (added some spices--a crab/shrimp boil mix I have). Strained the water and added that to the milk. Peeled the shrimp and chopped into bite size pieces. Tossed that in with the corn and potatoes. Sauteed 2 stalks of celery and 2 small onions (diced), tossed those in the pot. Finely chopped one frozen jalapeno pepper, set aside. Made a light white sauce, added that to the pot when the potatoes were about 75% done. Took 1/2 c milk and added that to 2 egg yolks. Added some of the milk from the stock pot to temper the eggs. Added that to the pot. About 5-6 minutes before it was all done, I tossed in the jalapeno, adjusted the seasoning, garnished with fresh Italian parsley (chopped) and chopped bacon (I cooked up 4 slices). I ate two bowls and have enough left for the rest of the week. The DH ate 3 bowls and took 2 bowls' with him to the farm. I don't have a pic--batteries died. But, the batteries are on the charger, so I might get a pic tomorrow when I reheat some.

Chili cheese dogs and frito chili pie at our house tonight. Made a spicy onion /sweet pepper chutney to go on the grown-ups dogs.

Tonight I tried a vegetarian burger for the first time, a Boca burger. I'm amazed how much it tasted like meat, it was really quite good! Had sweet potato fries on the side.

Dang, Rock, had I known, I would have skipped making the Corn-Potato-Shrimp Chowder I made tonight. I went digging in the freezer and found some corn (from the garden), about 1/2 lb of Tiger Shrimp, and 2 c of shrimp stock. I put about 6 potatoes, diced in 2-1/2c milk with the corn and shrimp stock, simmered that. In the meantime, I steamed the shrimp (added some spices--a crab/shrimp boil mix I have). Strained the water and added that to the milk. Peeled the shrimp and chopped into bite size pieces. Tossed that in with the corn and potatoes. Sauteed 2 stalks of celery and 2 small onions (diced), tossed those in the pot. Finely chopped one frozen jalapeno pepper, set aside. Made a light white sauce, added that to the pot when the potatoes were about 75% done. Took 1/2 c milk and added that to 2 egg yolks. Added some of the milk from the stock pot to temper the eggs. Added that to the pot. About 5-6 minutes before it was all done, I tossed in the jalapeno, adjusted the seasoning, garnished with fresh Italian parsley (chopped) and chopped bacon (I cooked up 4 slices). I ate two bowls and have enough left for the rest of the week. The DH ate 3 bowls and took 2 bowls' with him to the farm. I don't have a pic--batteries died. But, the batteries are on the charger, so I might get a pic tomorrow when I reheat some.
Here are the pics of the chowder. I also grated some lemon zest on top for garnish--it added zing.

Attachments

• chowder 063.jpg
    chowder 063.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 139
  • chowder 034.jpg
    chowder 034.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom