Dinner Wednesday 27th February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had some red snapper fillets that I got fresh from the market yesterday and didn't know what to do with them. TB suggested pasta so I seared the fish and kept it warm to cook through. I boiled pasta then flaked the fish into some pesto I made (adding a bit of lemon zest to it and lemon on the fish), and put that over the pasta. It was amazing! :)

That does sound delicious!

We had moussaka and red cole slaw. Okay, cole slaw isn't really Greek, but I wanted any easy veg. I made the moussaka with ground lamb this time, instead of ground beef. I didn't really notice a difference in flavour, just in the smell.

20130227_195318.jpg

20130227_195558.jpg

Looks fabulous Taxy :yum:

Pac, you may have to write a note on Kylie's wall. ;)

Kylie has a wall? No idea what you mean. Bumping should do, though I've seen she's posted since I first asked.
She should certainly be paying attention to a thread she started... shouldn't she? :rolleyes:

Kylie has a wall? No idea what you mean. Bumping should do, though I've seen she's posted since I first asked.
She should certainly be paying attention to a thread she started... shouldn't she? :rolleyes:

Oops, thought I was in Facebook for a moment! :LOL: I meant her profile comments! She might not check a two day old menu thread, but will read something personal! :)

Oops, thought I was in Facebook for a moment! :LOL: I meant her profile comments! She might not check a two day old menu thread, but will read something personal! :)

Oh I beg to differ... Kylie resurrects day or two old threads... sometimes three or four at a crack. She BETTER check! :LOL:
She'll be back ;)

kylie is probably out tending her garden in the sun. in the meanwhile, you can get yourself a nice lean steak, from the rump would be good, (european style) and pound it thin, pac.... :)

kylie is probably out tending her garden in the sun. in the meanwhile, you can get yourself a nice lean steak, from the rump would be good, (european style) and pound it thin, pac.... :)

She must have put me on her ignore list :rolleyes:
I've heard of rump roast, but haven't seen it in a long time. Unless they are calling it something else these days. Schnitzel is supposed to be pounded 1/4" thick. I'd probably have to buy a whole roast and slice it thin myself.

I think a beef schnitzel would be just about the same thing as chicken fried steak.

The chicken fried steak recipe I use uses cube steak. Do you think that's what Kylie uses (or anyone who makes beef schnitzel)?
That's simply round steak that's been run through a tenderizer a couple times, isn't it? I think so...

And I know veal schnitzel is supposed to be pretty popular. Not sure about in AUS though.

The mystery continues...

She must have put me on her ignore list :rolleyes:
I've heard of rump roast, but haven't seen it in a long time. Unless they are calling it something else these days. Schnitzel is supposed to be pounded 1/4" thick. I'd probably have to buy a whole roast and slice it thin myself.

The chicken fried steak recipe I use uses cube steak. Do you think that's what Kylie uses (or anyone who makes beef schnitzel)?
That's simply round steak that's been run through a tenderizer a couple times, isn't it? I think so...

And I know veal schnitzel is supposed to be pretty popular. Not sure about in AUS though.

The mystery continues...

Veal was the original meat used for this dish, but these days, people use everything. I have an English-language German cookbook with a recipe for Wiener (Viennese) Schnitzel. It calls for veal from the leg.

I did a little searching and found AUS recipes using cube steak, aka minute steak, or rump roast. Apparently, in Europe and Australia, they also sell a cut simply called beef schnitzel. Hth.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8325/herb+crumbed+beef+schnitzel

Veal was the original meat used for this dish, but these days, people use everything. I have an English-language German cookbook with a recipe for Wiener (Viennese) Schnitzel. It calls for veal from the leg.

I did a little searching and found AUS recipes using cube steak, aka minute steak, or rump roast. Apparently, in Europe and Australia, they also sell a cut simply called beef schnitzel. Hth.
Herb Crumbed Beef Schnitzel Recipe - Taste.com.au

Interesting. That never occurred to me they would offer specific cuts all ready to bread and fry. For as common as it is there, why not?
Thanks GG.
At this point I'll just assume Kylie is really eating roo schnitzel :LOL:

better watch out, next she'll be frying up rockschnitzels and pacburgers, and posting a recipe in tomorrow's dinner thread....

:LOL::LOL:

Reading this I remembered that my Mom would use what we called "minute steaks", pieces of beef that are cut thin and tenderized by running them through a machine that pokes a million holes in them. I think the last ones I bought were top round (which is what I also know as "rump").

Back
Top Bottom