Dinner Wednesday 28th November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Going to save the tamales for tomorrow and have BBQ turkey sandwiches with Alfredo noodles and green beans.

I know, we are so ahead of your time :LOL:

You are well ahead of your time!

Somehow I knew you would be the starter of tonight's/tomorrow's/yesterday's dinner tonight topic. Sometimes it's just that you're in the world's most populated area just east of the international date line.

Hey, I'm starting a new hobby Internet business and I hope to get a few customers from down under! In fact that's why I've been conspicuously absent from the forum these last few days, I've been working on my second hobby business.

So tonight's dinner... Mine was mostly out of the freezer and while Kylie is starting tomorrow's dinner tonight topic I'm still in the middle of cooking mine for tonight. I haven't made my last decision yet.

I was typing on the Internet all day (other than my power walk) so I turned to the freezer and grabbed a bison hamburger patty, a sesame bun, and a frozen slice of fresh pineapple. (I buy them fresh and carve them up, then individually freeze most of the slices. Pineapple does remarkably well upon being frozen and then thawed.)

So right now I've got a new cast iron grilling pan and I've grilled the pineapple slice, and I'm currently grilling some bacon. I've sliced some mushrooms and undecided if they should go in the mix. Maybe I'll grill 'em up and then decide after whether they go with pineapple and bacon. Then the bison patty until it's medium rare. And final assembly: all the obvious suspects plus a sesame bun (haven't decided to grill it or oven heat it, but the oven is up to temp) and the only condiment will be mayonnaise (not home made, don't got none left).

So that's what's on my menu tonight, a bison burger on a sesame bun with grilled pineapple and bacon, and maybe mushrooms. It's a "lite" dinner for me but I've been working out lately and one thing about working out, it increases your metabolism and decreases your appetite.

(some time elapses...)

Hehe, LOL, I got involved in my story here and forgot about the bacon. It made a bunch of smoke and looks like I'll have to loop back to the beginning of the bacon step with new bacon. Meanwhile my crib is filled with what looks like London fog!

But I'm having a good time and there's plenty of bacon. I should post and focus on cooking, so I will... :)

Smith rock. Anyone who has them says they aren't like any other hot dog they have had. I'm sure they're available online. Everything else is these days :LOL:...

I enjoy good natural casing hot dogs. You got my attention and I looked. They are only available in a limited area. Where to find us

You can get them online for $56.90 (plus shipping) for ten pounds.

I enjoy good natural casing hot dogs. You got my attention and I looked. They are only available in a limited area. Where to find us

You can get them online for $56.90 (plus shipping) for ten pounds.
There's no way in this lifetime I'll be eating any hot dogs (or processed lunch meat). Doesn't matter how they are made or what kind of casings they are in--just not gonna happen. I can't believe people still eat them. A dear friend of mine lived on hot dogs. He died at the age of 28 of lymphoma. I contribute that to his constant diet of hot dogs.

There's no way in this lifetime I'll be eating any hot dogs (or processed lunch meat). Doesn't matter how they are made or what kind of casings they are in--just not gonna happen. I can't believe people still eat them. A dear friend of mine lived on hot dogs. He died at the age of 28 of lymphoma. I contribute that to his constant diet of hot dogs.

well yaaaa... living on them? :ohmy:
Everything in moderation is best...so I have heard.
I wouldn't deprive myself of enjoying a great hot dog once in a while:yum:
PS. I love KimChee too! Your sandwich sounds great I'm gonna try that:>)

Last edited:

I agree with you there CWS. The research is in and the jury convicted. Eating processed meats is just no good for your health. They're full of chemicals and the grinding exposes the entire insides to surface contamination. If there's a doctor in the land who wouldn't give processed meats a thumbs down he or she should be disbarred or defrocked or whatever they do to doctors who don't know anything beyond billing Medicare.

Yet a few years ago I got a craving for the hot dogs I remembered, and bought some. Why do dogs come 8 to a pack and buns 6 to a pack, or something like that? 10 and 8? Anyway I cooked a few on my grill and they were disgusting. Totally destroyed my memory of how good dogs could be.

Hot dogs and other processed meats are Y-U-C-K to me now. I'd eat one... if the alternative was starvation.

My dad used to make pretty good fried baloney sandwiches. That was the only thing I ever saw him cook in the kitchen, although he was a damned fine barbecuist! I don't want to destroy that good memory by trying to fry balogney myself. I'll keep the memory and pass on the baloney.

It's often said that sausages and politics are alike, in that you don't want to look too closely into what goes into either one.

Last edited:
well yaaaa... living on them? :ohmy:
Everything in moderation is best...so I have heard.
I wouldn't deprive myself of enjoying a great hot dog once in a while:yum:
PS. I love KimChee too! Your sandwich sounds great I'm gonna try that:>)
The KimChee Rueben (I like your spelling) was to die for...I love Ruebens and the corned beef was top grade (that's what comes from working with a catering company--the meat, fruit, and veggies are great). The bread was made by a local bakery that specializes in European breads...Wish I'd brought home the makings for more so I could have another one for breakfast!

Thank you for all who posted how much they do not like hot dogs.. it was really interesting to read..

Um, bacon is a processed meat :)

Bacon is not processed meat! It is Heaven in a strip shape. :)

By processed I mean like ground up so much you can't tell what it is. When you look at a strip of bacon you can see it came off a pork belly.

So what is in that hot dog anyway? Pork ears? Pork noses? Pork uteruses? Pork anuses? BTW I've seen the last two available in international markets, no lie!

My objection to processed food is because unprocessed food the contaminants are on the outside, in processed food the contaminants are ground up throughout the volume, so if there's anything live in there it can't be washed off or seared off. And also the chemicals they have to add to prevent that. And I don't know I'm no authority and maybe that's all wrong, but I've seen the scientific reports that link eating processed meat to all kinds of disorders. I'm not even good enough to decide for myself whether the reports are valid, but I'm not seeing any article decrying all the false reports that eating processed food is bad for your health.

My dog likes pig ears. Unfortunately cured pig ears are too expensive now, and my dog got old and I'm worried he might harm his old teeth eating something that hard.

I don't read package material on stuff I know I am going to eat. And I have Beans in my ears. I like Hot Dogs. Therefore, they are good.

(Although I admit I am more likely to buy hand processed 'dogs from my meat market these days than mass produced. )

Every once in awhile I discover a product that sneaks in High fructose corn syrup in the stangest least suspecting what should otherwise be a natural ingredient. Then I ask myself Why> And stop buying it. Not to mention all the other stuff that is compounded in there.

Hot dogs are just asking for trouble.

Now, Bacon. B-aaa-y cn. 3 syllables, one vowel. Mmm. Don't tell me. Because I don't want to know. It's bacon.

They add HFCS because the gummint makes it a cheap axx sugar by subsidizing corn production and passing on the tab to the taxpayers who are in effect you and me paying to put HFCS in products and harm people. Think about it. The gummint taps the taxpayers to boost corn farming even though it's bad for everybody in the long term. But it's good for the economy. The economy is more important to the gummint than our health. We people being healthy does not advance the goals of politicians or special interests such as corn farmers.

Quit tilting the market to help special interests at the expense of our health. Quit trying to make crops into fuel thus raising food prices to lower fuel prices. None of us can live without food, but living with little fuel can be achieved by public transit to some degree. The gummint is always sending mixed messages.

I have one message for the gummint: get your big thumb off the scales!

Back
Top Bottom