Dinner Wednesday, 4-22-2015 ~ It's Hump Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I decided after all the time I spent making yesterday's darned dumplings that Trader Joe was going to feed me today.:LOL:

We will be trying the Steak And Ale pies we picked up on our last trip. Kayelle seems to have recommended them so many times we need to have them! I may make a salad, or just be happy with quickly steamed broccoli. Since the oven is going to be on, I will probably toss in a pan of Grands biscuits. (I probably shouldn't use the toaster oven, right Kayelle?)

What's your Wednesday meal plan?

I'm feeling pretty good today, so DH and I are going out for my first dinner at a restaurant since my surgery last month. It's a wonderful Mexican-inspired place that we really enjoy. Unless there's a great-looking special, I'll have the beef tamale. And the house margarita on the rocks with salt :)

Hey, if your toaster oven is big enough, why not? I hope you like those pies CG!

Hump day is right..we're washing clothes and packing, leaving on a jet plane Friday across the Pacific to dreamy Kauai.:flowers:

Tonight will be easy Taco Salad made from last night's leftovers and more lettuce.

Thanks, Kayelle. Which oven to use will now be determined by whether or not I make the biscuits.

Have a great time in Kauai! Make sure Souschef gets pictures and story up on the blog so we can all share your trip.

Bon Voyage Steve and Kayelle. take good pics and have a wonderful time!

After reading yesterday's dinner thread and getting advice this a.m. I grilled up some of Aunt Bea's and Cheryl J's methods for Green Chili Burgers. I chopped some canned chile peppers and mixed in the burger. Bought some Wh/wheat buns, burger and Pepperjack cheese at the store, along with an onion and an avocado to top the burgers. Mixed a little of the chili pepper in some leftover cranberries, well it's good with jalapenos, it's good this way too. Doesn't go with the burgers so much, and it didn't go any better or any less spooned over the avocado half that didn't go on the burgers. I will call that Salad. I heated up a spoonful or two of leftover scalloped potatoes too. I only ate one burger, so the other can be lunch or more likely a midnight snack.

Love Kauai! Sigh. Kokei State Park, Grand Canyon of the Pacific, snorkeling at Koloa Landing. Sigh.

Anyway, I defrosted some ham and had it with cauliflower salad. DH has a "business meeting" at the local country club. He's excited that they now offer sushi.

DH was over on the west coast of Florida today and so since end of stone crab season is quickly approaching, he called and asked if he should pick up some from our preferred supplier (freshest product ((own boats, docks in back of storefront)) and best prices). We ended up with a copycat of the classic meal from Joe's Stone Crab, minus the creamed spinach. Used recipes we just found for the hashbrowns and coleslaw, different but pretty darn good. We've had the copycat mustard sauce for years and years.

Best of all, we didn't have the nightmare drive down there or the nightmare of parking (besides the exorbitant prices they charge!)

37240-albums1008-picture6209.jpg

Last edited:
Cod baked with mushrooms, onion and garlic. Served with fresh tartar sauce/relish and cabbage salad.

Not very colorful! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Have a great night out GG..I'm so glad you're feeling well enough! Is this the place you've talked about with the corn in the masa for those tamale's? Have at least two of those margarita's, you deserve it!!

Thanks for the trip good wishes guys! We like to cook some at the condo so I'm packing up stuff I missed having last time, like a good knife in a self sharpening sheath and various spices in baggies. We'll be stopping near the airport at Costco for some steaks and naturally, a rotisserie chicken. I'll bet that bird isn't $6.00 in Hawaii! :LOL:

That meal looks fabulous MT!

Last edited:
Have a great night out GG..I'm so glad you're feeling well enough! Is this the place you've talked about with the corn in the masa for those tamale's? Have at least two of those margarita's, you deserve it!!

Thanks for the trip good wishes guys! We like to cook some at the condo so I'm packing up stuff I missed having last time, like a good knife in a self sharpening sheath and various spices in baggies. We'll be stopping near the airport at Costco for some steaks and naturally, a rotisserie chicken. I'll bet that bird isn't $6.00 in Hawaii! :LOL:

That meal looks fabulous MT!

A knife and bags of "spices". the TSA folks will have fun with you! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Have a great trip!

Thank you. It was very good.

Have a great time in Hawaii. I've always wanted to go there. My parents lived there when daddy was stationed there for the Navy. Maybe 1 day.

Kayelle and Souschef, have a great time.

I always take some knives, a steel, tongs and such to Aruba. Never had a problem. Every couple of years I get a tag in the bag saying they hand inspected it.

We had pork in butter chicken sauce (from East India Company) with brown basmati rice. It was really good. Lots of subtle flavours.

I usually get a reaction from the guys that man the X-ray machine at the airports, because I bring one of these:

bialetti-sixshot-stovetop-mocha-pot-espresso-maker-21240946.jpg

I'll probably just nibble a little later, maybe a bowl of cereal or a little fruit.

Daughter came over this afternoon and we had a late lunch - I made grilled ham and Havarti cheese sandwiches on sourdough, and we had those along with chips, olives, and pickles. :yum: I'm still full. :)

Kay and Souschef, have a wonderful time in Kauai!!

Last edited:
I wanted to try a new flavor of chicken wings for us but SO commented that she hates it when I experiment, so we had buffalo wings and a salad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom