Dinner Wednesday, 4-30-2014 ~ Middle-of-the-Week Meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
My SIL is down in FL doggy-sitting for their daughter's two weimaraner and her hubby is on his own. He'll be coming over for dinner tonight. I'm making roast beef, roasted butternut squash, steamed broccoli, and mashed potatoes for mushroom gravy. I might not have enough potatoes for mashing, so I'll also add either a pan of cut-up and seasoned reds to the oven or make a pot of seasoned rice. I'm planning on making a garden salad too, so I'd better get a move on!

Sounds good, CG. I bought some nice sea scallops yesterday, so I'll pan sear those and probably have a salad with it.

I'm defrosting a meal of hot and sour soup. SO will pick up some egg rolls and something else to go along with the soup to make our dinner tonight.

Biscuits and sausage gravy. Over easy eggs and home fries.:yum:

mmm, scallops sound good, Cheryl.
I think I'm going to do the breakfast for dinner thing.

I think we're going to get a visit from Pizza Hut tonight. I have a dr.'s appointment in the afternoon and don't want to worry about shopping for dinner stuff.

Too busy with tax returns to make supper. Stirling went to the dentist and stopped for lunch at Dagwoods. He picked up a roast beef on wholewheat for me. I had the first half for lunch and I'm having the other half for supper. The Beef

I like a sandwich that doesn't skimp on the cheese.

I decided on a frittata.

Came back to tell you this was a winner! The lamb chub had the perfect flavor of an authentic Gryo, and I was surprised at how thin it sliced without crumbling.

Lucky girl, Kayelle! I looked all over Costco last week for ground lamb, none to be found.

Thanks for posting back with such a positive review, Kayelle! Good to know. :yum: Steve's Gyro recipe is certainly on my to-make list.

Taxy, I love sandwiches and that beefy one from Dagwood's looks so good.

I decided to put off the scallops until tomorrow. I was too tired tonight. They are still pretty frozen, so I'm sure they'll be OK tomorrow. Never killed me before. :LOL: I ended up nibbling on some Trader Joe's eggplant hummus on pita bread, and some celery and carrot sticks.

Just leftovers for me, scrounged a chicken thigh, stuffing and creamed mixed vegetables from the fridge. DH went to the big town straight from work and will pick up a few groceries. He will probably have something to eat at Costco ;)

Lucky girl, Kayelle! I looked all over Costco last week for ground lamb, none to be found.

Dawg, I've never seen ground lamb at Costco although their loin lamb chops and boneless leg of lamb are spectacular.

Ground lamb is hard to find in these parts too, and it's quite expensive but worth it. We have a large supermarket chain here called Von's and only some stores have it. You might try calling a big chain store in your area and maybe they can special order it if they don't regularly carry it.

I buy lamb in bulk, which reduces the cost to around $4.50 a pound. With the package I buy, there's usually a dozen or so pounds of ground meat. But our local grocer, Cub Foods also carries it for $8-10 /lb.

With the gyros recipe, I think you could easily substitute beef or veal, and it would still come out fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom