"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Master Chef

Dinner Wednesday, 5-13-2015

I have a headache. Does anyone want to come over to my place and cook for me and Himself?

I have two options on the table. IF I feel better, I'll try a new recipe I saw in Cooking Light: Smoky Farro and Chickpea Soup. If this is getting made, I probably should start cooking farro soon. I don't have the pre-cooked the recipe calls for, so I need to make my own pre-cooked. Also, no Swiss chard, so I'll sub in spinach.

IF I bail on cooking, we have plenty of chicken from last night, and a piece of pork tenderloin from the night before. Some veggies leftover, too, but not enough for two. I'll only have to make a veggie or a salad.

What are you having tonight? I suggest you don't try the headache.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Master Chef

Refreshingly cold today so I baked a ham that I bought on special a couple of weeks ago. I broke it down and packaged some for the freezer, the bone is simmering on the back of the stove.

So tonight is ham, cauliflower and cabbage salad.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Made a deep dive into the freezer to pull out some German style hot dogs and some hot dog chili. Put together some angel hair coleslaw. Grated some cheddar. Oh, I called a lady about a pug puppy!
Old 05-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

The new Kroger opened today. Had to stop and check it out. Snagged some deals. Got 2 rotisserie chickens. We'll eat one tonight and I'll debone the other for another meal later. Have some red potato salad to go with it.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Our date night just got postponed to Friday so dinner plans are suddenly up in the air.

I have plenty of romaine and I bought (!) a bottle of organic Caesar dressing the other day. It tastes sweet as in sugary, not sure it should do that. I have to find my magnifying glass to read the ingredient label; and other fixin's for a salad. Maybe I will sizzle up a little seasoned ground beef and make a taco Caesar salad and douse it with enough salsa to kill the odd dressing effect.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

We had burgers on the grill tonight. I had mine with provolone cheese, genoa salami, bacon, pickled jalape˝os, onion, tomato and mayonnaise on a deli bun. It was outstanding!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

My daughter and grandson came by late this afternoon and we had a spread of all kinds of things, so I'm calling that dinner. We had a sandwich tray of tuna salad, and ham and cheese, with sides of deviled eggs, various pickles and olives, a bowl of SunChips , watermelon, mango, and strawberry ice cream for dessert.

I'll nibble on the leftovers this evening.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That looks good. I bought some farro and am trying to find things to do with it. I'd share our dinner with you if I could...

A rerun from last week, but it was soooo good. Neighbor dropped by another bunch of morels . I sauteed some them in (a lot of) butter, with some onion and (a lot of) garlic. Finished off with a little white wine, then cream and a handful of parmesan. All tossed with some rotini and leftover steamed asparagus.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
\

I have plenty of romaine and I bought (!) a bottle of organic Caesar dressing the other day. It tastes sweet as in sugary, not sure it should do that. I have to find my magnifying glass to read the ingredient label; and other fixin's for a salad. Maybe I will sizzle up a little seasoned ground beef and make a taco Caesar salad and douse it with enough salsa to kill the odd dressing effect.
Dinner change: I cooked a good size potato and mashed it. Made hamburger and onion gravy to top it. Salad with romaine, halved baby tomatoes, cukes, a little onion, kalamata olives, parm and a healthy sqweeze of lemon juice added to the Caesar dressing.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I had two of those sandwiches that I brought home from the Danish Club luncheon. One leverpostej (Danish liver pate) and one rullep°lse (Danish rolled sausage). They were yummers. Now I'm munching some of the leftover Indian food from my birthday.

Tags
dinner