"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Joey, that looks yummy. You have such great looking suppers.

Thank you very much, so nice to hear.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
Master Chef
I'm still laffin....I asked the Sous Chef to be in charge of the rice noodles for tonight, and I wanted about a third of the package. He had to weigh it on his postal scale (naturally) and when I asked him what he was doing he said "I'm boiling water, the baby's coming". Lowrdy, he's fun to cook with.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I found some organic pork loin chops at the health food store. I made a variation of Rocklobster's Pork Tenderloin w/Mushrooms in Cream Sauce. I wanted to make something familiar, so we could really tell any difference in the chops. It's not a lot different from TNT Pork with Mushroom Herb Sauce. I like the way it turns using cream instead of flour and milk. We had it with boiled potatoes and roasted vegis. I'm still surprised by how tasty roasted vegis are.

BTW, the organic pork was a bit more flavourful than supermarket pork.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Pirate made a Quaker Oats meatloaf tonight. It was perfect. He took my last Vidalia onion and diced it up small. Baked potato and gravy. He also cooked up a medley of vegetables. This was the first time he had tried meatloaf. Surprisingly, it was very good. He is turning out to be a good cook.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
Master Chef
What do you do when you're desperate for that just-right salad dressing to top a great taco salad, and you don't have any of the regular suspects sitting in the fridge? you improvise.

All I had was ranch, raspberry-vinaigrette, and Caesar Salad Dressing, none of them right for an epic taco salad. Here's how I solved my problem.

In the fridge door sat a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, and a bottle of Rooster Juice (Sriracha). The first was too sweet, and the 2nd had only one note. So I combined them in a bowl, a little of each at a time until it tasted like it would work. Then, I added a bit of chili powder and stirred it well. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so while I made the salad, including browning the ground beef. Yep, it worked. I am now a happy man again.

You know, that combination might make a good rib sauce.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm still laffin....I asked the Sous Chef to be in charge of the rice noodles for tonight, and I wanted about a third of the package. He had to weigh it on his postal scale (naturally) and when I asked him what he was doing he said "I'm boiling water, the baby's coming". Lowrdy, he's fun to cook with.
All kidding aside, it was delicious, but those noodles had to cook a lot longer than the package said.
The reason they have the father boil water is to get him the heck out of the way! LOL
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #17
Master Chef
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #18
Head Chef
I bought El Pollo Loco chicken tonight. I don't have a grill (condo) and tried the copycat marinade for it and cooking it in the oven. It wasn't the same, needless to say. Not even with my foil method.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:19 AM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac
I cooked the roast I didn't do yesterday and it was a small one - I almost charred the poor thing but caught it just in time.

I had steamed veggies while TB had greek salad and gluten free gravy!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:31 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
I spent the day making Summer Vegetarian Lasagna, Quick Gnocchi with Lamb Ragu, Ginger Teriyaki Flank Steak, and another pasta dish with smoked chicken, peas, and fava beans. The sides for two of the dishes were salads I "contrived." We had lots of food left over. Since I'm not a big pasta fan, I passed on the pasta, brought home some of the teriyaki flank steak and a 4l Mayonnaise pail of salads. I ate salad topped with teriyaki flank steak. For the dressings on the salads I did a lime juice-lime zest-Persian Lime EVOO on one and the other one was with espresso vinegar, maple syrup, and EVOO. Both salads got a big thumbs' up and the
"recipes" will be in the meal kits in June. I put "recipes" in quotes because I wing making salads and find it ironic that one needs a recipe for a tossed salad at this time of year when fresh from the farm produce is available.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote