Dinner Wednesday, 5-27-2015 ~ Hump-day Hungries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Anyone have plans for dinner tonight? I usually have plans, just don't always execute them...:ermm:

We should be having a ham steak on the grill, twice-baked potatoes, and Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and mushrooms. Maybe salad, maybe not. Depends on how much room I'll need before shopping for fresh veggies tomorrow.

What will you be having?

The plan is for chicken quesadillas with roasted red peppers and Monterey Jack cheese,topped with cilantro-lime sour cream and salsa. Guacamole on the side.

Our plan is Top Sirloin on the indoor grill pan, deli style mac & cheese & sliced, sautéed tomatoes.

Simple, yet delicious. :chef:

I got my Penezy's spice order and they included a free jar of "Bangkok Blend". Has anyone else used this? I decided to sprinkle a couple of teaspoons onto some cut up chicken thighs, and later on I'll be doing my Chicken Adobo with coconut milk and spinach. I haven't decided yet if it will be over lo mein noodles or Jasmine rice.

Homemade Italian sausage w/ pepper's & onion's...

img_1423529_0_9ebf67c2f000ea2fb410a7f2cec2f194.jpg

img_1423529_1_2406e56f8f2f21a611203d8c160a9e1a.jpg

Looks good, Joey. Am I seeing a knife slot in your stovetop? I've never seen that before.

I'm having a steamed artichoke for dinner, and a watermelon/mango/apple fruit salad on the side.

Everyone's dinners sound really good. :yum:

Looks good, Joey. Am I seeing a knife slot in your stovetop? I've never seen that before.

I'm having a steamed artichoke for dinner, and a watermelon/mango/apple fruit salad on the side.

Everyone's dinners sound really good. :yum:

Yes, so handy. Between my stove and counter. Next to a cutting board. 14 knife's at the ready.

I'm still laffin....I asked the Sous Chef to be in charge of the rice noodles for tonight, and I wanted about a third of the package. He had to weigh it on his postal scale (naturally) and when I asked him what he was doing he said "I'm boiling water, the baby's coming". Lowrdy, he's fun to cook with.

I found some organic pork loin chops at the health food store. I made a variation of http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...shrooms-in-cream-sauce-92943.html#post1421317. I wanted to make something familiar, so we could really tell any difference in the chops. It's not a lot different from http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/tnt-pork-with-mushroom-herb-sauce-68116.html#post934920. I like the way it turns using cream instead of flour and milk. We had it with boiled potatoes and roasted vegis. I'm still surprised by how tasty roasted vegis are.

BTW, the organic pork was a bit more flavourful than supermarket pork.

Last edited:
Pirate made a Quaker Oats meatloaf tonight. It was perfect. He took my last Vidalia onion and diced it up small. Baked potato and gravy. He also cooked up a medley of vegetables. This was the first time he had tried meatloaf. Surprisingly, it was very good. He is turning out to be a good cook. :angel:

What do you do when you're desperate for that just-right salad dressing to top a great taco salad, and you don't have any of the regular suspects sitting in the fridge? you improvise.

All I had was ranch, raspberry-vinaigrette, and Caesar Salad Dressing, none of them right for an epic taco salad. Here's how I solved my problem.

In the fridge door sat a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, and a bottle of Rooster Juice (Sriracha). The first was too sweet, and the 2nd had only one note. So I combined them in a bowl, a little of each at a time until it tasted like it would work. Then, I added a bit of chili powder and stirred it well. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so while I made the salad, including browning the ground beef. Yep, it worked. I am now a happy man again.:rolleyes:

You know, that combination might make a good rib sauce.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm still laffin....I asked the Sous Chef to be in charge of the rice noodles for tonight, and I wanted about a third of the package. He had to weigh it on his postal scale (naturally) and when I asked him what he was doing he said "I'm boiling water, the baby's coming". Lowrdy, he's fun to cook with.
All kidding aside, it was delicious, but those noodles had to cook a lot longer than the package said.
The reason they have the father boil water is to get him the heck out of the way! LOL

I bought El Pollo Loco chicken tonight. I don't have a grill (condo) and tried the copycat marinade for it and cooking it in the oven. It wasn't the same, needless to say. Not even with my foil method. :(

Last edited:
I cooked the roast I didn't do yesterday and it was a small one - I almost charred the poor thing but caught it just in time.

I had steamed veggies while TB had greek salad and gluten free gravy!

I spent the day making Summer Vegetarian Lasagna, Quick Gnocchi with Lamb Ragu, Ginger Teriyaki Flank Steak, and another pasta dish with smoked chicken, peas, and fava beans. The sides for two of the dishes were salads I "contrived." We had lots of food left over. Since I'm not a big pasta fan, I passed on the pasta, brought home some of the teriyaki flank steak and a 4l Mayonnaise pail of salads. I ate salad topped with teriyaki flank steak. For the dressings on the salads I did a lime juice-lime zest-Persian Lime EVOO on one and the other one was with espresso vinegar, maple syrup, and EVOO. Both salads got a big thumbs' up and the
"recipes" will be in the meal kits in June. I put "recipes" in quotes because I wing making salads and find it ironic that one needs a recipe for a tossed salad at this time of year when fresh from the farm produce is available.

Back
Top Bottom