Dinner Wednesday, 6-6-2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrs. T wanted swordfish tonight, and the supermarket stuff hasn't looked too good as of late, so I went to the pricey seafood shop down the road. So, so good.

Sides were white basmati with sun dried tomatoes and scallions, green salad.

Glad to see this TS...I recently bought some beautiful frozen swordfish steaks from Trader Joe's and I don't know what to do with them. Hints pleeeese?

Follow up. My leftover Blaze Pizza with pepperoni and shrooms was possibly even better re-heated in the oven at 350F.

If you don't have a Blaze Pizza near you. It is kind of like Subway sandwiches used to be. It has a NYC style, and you pick your own ingredients. They have some "prepared" menu items, that are easy to order if you don't know what you want. They cook it in a fake wood fired oven, same oven but gas fired. California Pizza Kitchen without the wood.

Blaze Pizza has a version of a Margherita pizza that would be good, if it wasn't wet and soggy. What can you expect from students who want to make a decent living while they go to college. They don't get the Margherita pizza right. They don't know how. Don't expect them to.

Today, I had a two-topping pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms, and it was fantastic. Thin, crisp crust, and good flavors. Very satisfying pizza.

It is what it is. But, it is pretty good. I certainly enjoyed my pizza today.

CD

looks and sounds great everyone... And cg our niece will be in williamsburg next month, i will pass along your tip ;)

We're still in the "island mode" i suppose you could say... I'm making an old standby that i make very often for us, even over here on the mainland … teriyaki chicken on the gas grill
steamed baby bok choy
korean style mung bean sprout salad (i forget the name of it)
steamed white rice with shoyu and furikake

dessert will be pecan kringle from trader joe's, that's if there's any left by that time ;)

IMG_3697.jpg

Glad to see this TS...I recently bought some beautiful frozen swordfish steaks from Trader Joe's and I don't know what to do with them. Hints pleeeese?

Kayelle, we always grill our swordfish. I coat it all over with mayonnaise, salt and pepper and it goes right on the grill.

... and CG our niece will be in Williamsburg next month, I will pass along your tip...
More tips: If they want to dine at one of the restaurants in the Historic District, our favorite has been Christiana Campbell's. Dinner there is elegant and refined. The same can be said for King's Arms Tavern's dinners, although we've also enjoyed lunch on their patio in the past. For a more light-hearted and fun evening meal, Chowning's had entertainment and "gambols" (games).

One suggestion for off-site dining? They should try to eat at "Food For Thought". It looks a little like an IHOP from the outside, but the interior and the food (and service) are very un-IHOP like. Excellent food, great prices, and an interesting setting. We enjoyed our meal there so much that if we are to return to the Williamsburg area, we will make a point of returning to that restaurant at least once.

I hope your niece has a great time in Williamsburg. One of my favorite places to visit.

My usual method is to let the swordfish sit in a bit of soy sauce and garlic for 30 minutes or so, then it goes on to an oiled grill. Sometimes I make a simple fruit salsa (small can of drained crushed pineapple, a few chopped scallions, sometimes a jalapeno and/or sun dried tomatoes) to serve with it. I haven't done it in a while, but I've also cooked it with cajun spices (but easy on the hots and salt so as not to overpower the fish), either grilled or blackened in a CI pan.

Grill temp is about 425, cooked until I can just get a dull dinner knife into it, so about 10 minutes per inch of thickness (Canadian method).

Don't use any kind of oil in a marinade, unless you like oily fish. I made that mistake - once.

If you don't know it, it's best to avoid the dark meat. Sword is a predator fish, and the nastys concentrate in the dark meat.

Last edited:
WP_20180606_18_24_20_Pro.jpg

Curried Prawns with Rice, from Great British Dishes the Healthy Way.

Used brown rice.

Served with a cucumber and onion salad which was delicious.

Not been on much lately as v busy and been ill with pancreatitis, have to reduce my fat intake to 20g or less.

My usual method is to let the swordfish sit in a bit of soy sauce and garlic for 30 minutes or so, then it goes on to an oiled grill. Sometimes I make a simple fruit salsa (small can of drained crushed pineapple, a few chopped scallions, sometimes a jalapeno and/or sun dried tomatoes) to serve with it. I haven't done it in a while, but I've also cooked it with cajun spices (but easy on the hots and salt so as not to overpower the fish), either grilled or blackened in a CI pan.

Grill temp is about 425, cooked until I can just get a dull dinner knife into it, so about 10 minutes per inch of thickness (Canadian method).

Don't use any kind of oil in a marinade, unless you like oily fish. I made that mistake - once.

If you don't know it, it's best to avoid the dark meat. Sword is a predator fish, and the nastys concentrate in the dark meat.

Thanks for all the info. I was careful to avoid pieces with dark meat, as something in the back of my memory told me that. My Dad loved swordfish, but I haven't eaten it since childhood, and sadly it's too late to ask him about it. I'm looking forward to grilling it soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom