Dinner Wednesday, 8-5-2015 ~ Stop? Or Go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
On this day 101 years ago, the first electric traffic signal was installed in Cleveland, OH. The next time you're stuck in traffic, blame. Garrett Morgan. ;)

Since it's a clear, sunny day here, we'll be grilling - full steam ahead! I'm trying out another newbie, Lemon-Herb Chicken Skewers with Blueberry-Balsamic Salsa. So happy the recipe says that cilantro is "optional", since my option is always to omit it. :LOL: Also subbing a chicken breast for two thighs - me no likey dark meat.

The skewers will go on a bed of couscous. I'm also making skewers with cherry tomatoes, red onion, zucchini, and Halloumi cheese. Just might steam up some asparagus too, since it's been in the fridge a couple of days.

What meal plan has you going today?

We will finish off the leftovers of the superb low carb lasagna of last night and will go out right now and fetch some veggies for a side salad.

Leftover night!

Chicken and green beans. Not sure if I will heat and eat or make them into a salad of sorts.

If you live near a Wegman's try these extra fine green beans. In my area they are a pound for a dollar, an excellent value!

Nothing like the green beans that the school lunch ladies used to serve up! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

077890329207.jpg

Stir fried carrots, celery, and onion, with leftover brown rice here. Need to dig the ginger root out of the freezer.

Back in the day, we were lucky to have some of the world's best lunch ladies! Those gals knew how to cook!

Last edited:
Back in the day, we were lucky to have some of the world's best lunch ladies! Those gals knew how to cook!

I grew up with lunch ladies that still cooked to the extent that the government allowed them to. In good weather they would sit outside the kitchen door peeling apples or potatoes and inside they cooked what they could from scratch. The green beans however came in giant cans and were cooked to death until they developed a sort of blue gray color.

I still have food memories of a cherry crumb bar they used to make for us using canned sour cherries on a sandy crumbly cookie base with additional crumbs sprinkled on top. I would love to find that recipe.

I really should not have maligned the lunch ladies of the world in my post.

Tonight we revisit the pulled pork I made a while back. Dinner will be PP sandwiches, baked beans and a salad.

I grew up with lunch ladies that still cooked to the extent that the government allowed them to. In good weather they would sit outside the kitchen door peeling apples or potatoes and inside they cooked what they could from scratch. The green beans however came in giant cans and were cooked to death until they developed a sort of blue gray color.

I still have food memories of a cherry crumb bar they used to make for us using canned sour cherries on a sandy crumbly cookie base with additional crumbs sprinkled on top. I would love to find that recipe.

I really should not have maligned the lunch ladies of the world in my post.

My great aunt was a phenomenal cook, and also a lunch lady!

DH, with his Penn Dutch roots, prefers his green beans cooked to death. Not even close to green. Never figured that one out.

Last edited:
Getting together with my daughters, SIL's and 5 of the 6 grands. They should all be here around 5, then we're going out to dinner. Not sure where, but since there will be 5 kids ages 2-9 it'll be a family style restaurant. LOL :wacko::LOL:

DH is preparing to repaint our small guest room and we're going to pick out the paint tonight. We'll pick up pizza on the way home. I'm also going to make a tossed salad with garden tomatoes, bell peppers and cucumbers.

I got meself out of a bit of a pickle tonight. about 2 wks back I picked up some domestic fresh never frozen farmed rainbow trout filets. the ones that are ever so neatly V-notched down the middle. . . our local Giant does such a lousy job with seafood I have to alter all plans if something good shows up.

so I did some russets - sliced thick, parboiled 5 minutes, cooled. then pan fried to psuedo-french fry status with a smidge of finely diced onion thrown in.

the fish got - one hr prior - lightly salted, olive oiled the skin side, spritzed with fresh squeezed lemon juice. then at chow time, into a really hot fry pan with double depth oil for not quite three minutes. the skin edges got lightly browned; then 5 minutes in a 250'F oven to finish.

DW was all a twitter about it; and this AM she pronounced I shall redo as last.
well, accidents happen - making it same-same again, that can be dicey. . . . especially if you're cooking with wine. besides, it never tastes as good the second time around. there's a taste bud associated with "newness" - not sure which one tho.

anyway, apparently it worked; pronounced just as good as before.
actually I thought it was a bit better - last time I (ssssssssh!) overcooked the fish a bit....

the fish part is fast and pretty easy; pan frying the potatoes, spread out single layer, flipped, crusty on both sides.... that's a bit tediously.

I made some that tomato soup that Dawg linked to. I ate two bowls of it so far and I intend to do some open-faced grilled cheese in the toaster oven later. That soup is really good.

:)

It is good! Glad you liked it too, Taxy!

Last edited:
DH picked a bunch of zucchini ad didn't think about what to go with, so when I got home I tossed a frozen Trader Joe's salmon fillet in the sous vide.

Fried up the zucc with some onion, (lots of) garlic, leftover corn on the cob, tomatoes and a package of roasted Hatch chilies we froze last year. Topped it with some cheddar and dumped it over the fish.

It seems like it's always the thrown together dinners that are the best.

I made some that tomato soup that Dawg linked to. I ate two bowls of it so far and I intend to do some open-faced grilled cheese in the toaster oven later. That soup is really good.
I had another bowl of soup and that grilled cheese. Then I had homemade lemon sherbet for dessert. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom