"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 06:40 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I have lived in my current town since 1995, and never went to this place before. It got a write up in D Magazine, so I gave it a try.

It is amazing to me how many good places to eat are right under my nose, and I don't know it. You have to seek them out.

CD
How true that is... Seeking them out has really curtailed my cooking at home lately..
Today we are off to a little town with a large showroom of old cars for sale.. The town also boasts of two local diners..

Might be an interesting day..

Ross

Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Grab a BA from the mid 90's and one from a year ago and compare the recipe index. That mag has gone to crap.
You mentioned that once before - I'm thinking now that so many people can get the recipes for free on the 'net that they are not selling enough magazines. Perhaps that is why they have had to up their ads to pay for it. ??

I'm not horribly impressed with the latest edition of Cook's Illus. I can't quite put my finger on it but it is different and I was not impressed.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Yesterday went up to the cottage to visit with my son on vacation and meet his new in-laws.

Brought along a Chicken Salad Pie, Watermelon and Italian Sausages for "lupper" (that our newly coined word for lunch and supper). I also made dessert: Strawberry/Blueberry Cookie.

Both Pie and Cookie were super delish but not easy to serve.... hmm.. a work in progress, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_144657.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	30950  
Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
You mentioned that once before - I'm thinking now that so many people can get the recipes for free on the 'net that they are not selling enough magazines. Perhaps that is why they have had to up their ads to pay for it. ??

I'm not horribly impressed with the latest edition of Cook's Illus. I can't quite put my finger on it but it is different and I was not impressed.
I’ve noticed the e-mails I get from ATC have also been more about selling their products, or their sponsor’s products than they’ve been about ingredients, techniques and recipes.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:55 AM   #25
Head Chef

I ended up having a bowl of Very Berry Cheerio's and some cantaloupe for supper. Mom had the rest of her soup.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Iíve noticed the e-mails I get from ATC have also been more about selling their products, or their sponsorís products than theyíve been about ingredients, techniques and recipes.
I thought the whole premise was they didn't have sponsor's "per se" but I have come to believe that their 'product reviews' are thinly veiled ads. As a side note - I also find most of their reviews don't really apply to Canadian products - food or otherwise. More than half of which I have never heard of and I'm geographically not that far from them.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I thought the whole premise was they didn't have sponsor's "per se" but I have come to believe that their 'product reviews' are thinly veiled ads. As a side note - I also find most of their reviews don't really apply to Canadian products - food or otherwise. More than half of which I have never heard of and I'm geographically not that far from them.
They don't have sponsors. That doesn't mean they can't promote their own products. They moved to a large new location a year or two ago and expanded their staff, so they need to make money somehow. Subscriptions certainly won't cover those costs.

No, the product reviews are not ads. Advertising is required by law to be disclosed as such.

It's an American magazine, so I wouldn't expect it to cater to Canadians.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night we had the leftover steak from the night before with salads and caprese salad on top.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0808182026a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	30951
Old 08-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They don't have sponsors...
I have had an issue with this statement from PBS for sometime. For two and a half minutes before the actual programming starts and for about five and a half minutes after it ends, you hear the names of companies and their products that "support" PBS. I see that as a sponsorship. The real difference is in where they put their "ads".

The actual time for content in a half hour show is about 22 minutes. Same as network TV. So you're getting about 8 minutes of supporter/sponsor ads and ads for other programming. Same as network TV.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Besides that, Andy, network TV doesn't do a fundraising event once a year month week nearly constantly. PBS has their hand out a lot. Himself and I know that when GBH is running some exclusive concert of old rockers, it's going to be a fundraising kind of day.

Tags
dinner, zucchini