"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
...It is amazing to me how many good places to eat are right under my nose, and I don't know it. You have to seek them out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
How true that is... Seeking them out has really curtailed my cooking at home lately...
When we moved from OH in 2000, most of casual family restaurants were chain ones back there. We were amazed at how many stand-alone (or small, local chain) restaurants we found in MA. I think we went out to eat four times a week practically every week for months after we settled in. As our waists got thicker and our wallets got thinner, though, I decided to start cooking again. Now we eat at home most of the time because we don't like most restaurants meals anymore.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #32
Master Chef

I spend time going through trip advisors lists of restaurants in any given community..most of them are on there with some sort of description..I don't care much about the reviews unless it gets a really low rating...

Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They don't have sponsors. That doesn't mean they can't promote their own products. They moved to a large new location a year or two ago and expanded their staff, so they need to make money somehow. Subscriptions certainly won't cover those costs.

No, the product reviews are not ads. Advertising is required by law to be disclosed as such.

It's an American magazine, so I wouldn't expect it to cater to Canadians.
Having worked for three different magazines over the years, I know a little bit about them. An article does not have to be disclosed as advertising if it promotes a product or brand. We published articles all the time that said good things about our advertisers, and potential advertisers. 100-percent legal.

Subscriptions don't pay the bills. Period. We had to have advertisers to make money, and they expected good ink from us. We did that, as much as we could, without being dishonest or deceptive. It is a balancing act.

I've never seen a Cooks Illustrated magazine, but have watched ATK. I don't know what their financial model is, but giving a positive review of a sponsor's product would not be illegal -- or unusual.

CD
Old 08-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When we moved from OH in 2000, most of casual family restaurants were chain ones back there. We were amazed at how many stand-alone (or small, local chain) restaurants we found in MA. I think we went out to eat four times a week practically every week for months after we settled in. As our waists got thicker and our wallets got thinner, though, I decided to start cooking again. Now we eat at home most of the time because we don't like most restaurants meals anymore.
I'm pretty certain that this is just a phase.. I do know that if/when I gain 5 lbs, it will come to an end.. I enjoy food too much to allow dining out to spoil it with weight gain..

Ross
Old 08-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Having worked for three different magazines over the years, I know a little bit about them. An article does not have to be disclosed as advertising if it promotes a product or brand. We published articles all the time that said good things about our advertisers, and potential advertisers. 100-percent legal.

Subscriptions don't pay the bills. Period. We had to have advertisers to make money, and they expected good ink from us. We did that, as much as we could, without being dishonest or deceptive. It is a balancing act.

I've never seen a Cooks Illustrated magazine, but have watched ATK. I don't know what their financial model is, but giving a positive review of a sponsor's product would not be illegal -- or unusual.

CD
Interesting. It seems like that practice would be inconsistent with professional editorial guidelines and FTC regulations, if not the law. I would certainly consider it unethical to promote a product that someone is being paid to promote without disclosing the financial arrangement.

Quote:
Print and digital advertisements that resemble editorial content should be identified as advertising in compliance with Federal Trade Commission regulations. 73 FTC 1307 (1968) states that when a marketing message “uses the format and has the general appearance of a news feature and/or article for public information which purports [to be] independent, impartial and unbiased . . . the Commission is of the opinion that it will be necessary to clearly and conspicuously disclose it is an advertisement.”
http://www.magazine.org/asme/editorial-guidelines

The magazines are separate from the TV shows and don't accept advertising. The TV shows have sponsors. The company makes money from sales of books, videos, online cooking classes, etc.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Interesting. It seems like that practice would be inconsistent with professional editorial guidelines and FTC regulations, if not the law. I would certainly consider it unethical to promote a product that someone is being paid to promote without disclosing the financial arrangement.

Editorial Guidelines | ASME
Thanks for, yet again, quoting the internet to "educate" us all. You didn't spend any time thinking about my post, did you? You just made a mad dash to Google so you could tell me that I'm stupid and you are smart.

Advertorials are ads that look like articles that are provided by the advertiser, and the advertiser pays for the page space for them. They BUY space in the magazine, and provide the content. Those are disclosed as advertising.

When a magazine publishes an article, independently, that is complimentary to an advertiser, it is not the same thing. The magazine provides the content, and they use their unpaid pages to publish it. Like I said before, and you probably skimmed over, It is a balancing act. You want to be complimentary of the product/brand, but you can't lie about it. If Aston Martin wanted us to say their new car can fly, it better be able to fly, or we were not going to say it does. When I wrote an article about a car, EVERY word was 100-percent true, even if it was intentionally complimentary. If a car was a piece of crap, I didn't write an article trashing it, I just didn't write about it at all. We just didn't publish that kind of article.

As for transparency, news and editorial are not the same. If you are reporting the news, you are held to a higher standard than if you are publishing an article that is clearly opinion, like a review of a new car (what we did).

CD
Old 08-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I should have known it was a mistake to engage with you Too bad you're unable to Discuss something with me without belittling and making personal attacks.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
I should have known it was a mistake to engage with you Too bad you're unable to Discuss something with me without belittling and making personal attacks.
Not a personal attack. For the most part, I like you. I appreciate MOST of your posts, and if you look back, I have agreed with you more than I have disagreed.

But, there are occasions, albeit rare occasions, where I actually know what I am talking about, not because I read it somewhere, but because I have lived it. I don't see your posts to me on this thread as "engaging." I see them as a spanking, which you do to other forum members, too.

If we were to meet in person, and cook together, we'd probably have a good time. So, this isn't personal. I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at what you sometimes do.

If you are ever in Dallas, let me know, and I'll hook you up with some good places to eat... maybe.

CD

Tags
dinner, zucchini