Dinner Wednesday 9-25-2013 ~ Hump Day Home Cookin'...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing exciting, I had a frozen dinner that was okay, Shrek had a peanut butter and honey sandwich with home made tapioca pudding.

This sounds very good!

Your friend,
~Cat

Thanks Cat. Your steak dinner sounded lovely!

I thought we had more potatoes, I looked in the bag, we had two.....It was enough for me to split the dish, but DH was still hungry. So he had some cheese and crackers as well.

Last edited:
Yum! Is there any better combination than potatoes, onion, cream and butter? :yum:

(Actually, thinking about it, and I think Pac may agree with me here, the only thing that would add to that wonderful dish - is some bacon!) ;)

Thanks Katy! No bacon :(

Love tapioca pudding. Will have to try some in the CP.

I made it to take to a pot luck at work today, I saved some out for Shrek, it's a favorite. Most of those eating it today had never had home made, from scratch, tapioca. It is now on request for the next pot luck.:rolleyes:

Interesting that several people have mentioned "redskin" potatoes.

I am a fan of "Desiree" potatoes (which are red-skinned). But obviously there are many variations of potato in existence.

When you guys say "redskin" is that a particular variety, or a general term?

They're a red thin skinned potato, unlike a thicker skinned Russet. Pretty generic here, they could be anything. Often, little new potatoes are redskins. What's nice is that they don't need to be peeled before cooking.

Costco sells a nice bag of fingerlings in all different colors, some redskins, some purple. Will have to put them on the Costco list!

I made it to take to a pot luck at work today, I saved some out for Shrek, it's a favorite. Most of those eating it today had never had home made, from scratch, tapioca. It is now on request for the next pot luck.:rolleyes:

Recipe please?

I am a fan of "Desiree" potatoes (which are red-skinned). But obviously there are many variations of potato in existence.

Katy, I really don't know what kind of "redskin" potatoes I have, sometimes there is a name at the grocery store other times not. I was using the term "generically". We like all kinds of potatoes! I will look for Desiree.

Last edited:
Katy, I really don't know what kind of "redskin" potatoes I have, sometimes there is a name at the grocery store other times not. I was using the term "generically". We like all kinds of potatoes! I will look for Desiree.

I like all kinds of potato too! (It's the Irish ancestry I guess) :)

Though most of my Irish family prefer the white "floury" potatoes - good for stews and mash.

Good thing you included dining out and carry out, CG, as so many of our members lead busy lives when it comes to home cookin'.

Me, I have no life, so it's home cookin' here. I plan on making the dinner I was going to make last night tonight, only tonight....
Well sometimes we go out, but I've gotten to the point where I like my own cooking a lot better that what passes for restaurant food these days. I can cook a half-week worth of meals at home for the same cost of the dinner for two out. I do make exceptions for Broasted Chicken from the restaurant in the town next door. Carry-out, of course. ;)

And I also have no life. Alas, I'm also slow as molasses so there was no pie tonight. Too bad too, since Himself said he could swear he smelled a pie baking while he was cutting part of the yard. He made himself feel better by saying someone might have been toasting an apple pop-tart. :LOL:

I made another batch of chop suey tonight. I've got 3 2 serving containers. Plenty of meals for later. 2 containers for the freezer and 1 for the fridge.

Hope you feel better soon, Taxy!

I don't think I've ever seen a name attached to the redskins found around here. Just redskin.
They are a creamier potato than russets or white potatoes and hold up better in cold potato salads.

It's one of my favorite uses for leftover chicken, GG. It was just missing the peas.

Back
Top Bottom