Dinner Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I know it is early, but I had to thaw the grass-fed beef liver--I haven't eaten liver for years. Tonight I am making liver the way we used to make it once a week when I lived in Germany. It involves seasoned flour, beer, apples, onions, and raisins. Basically, you pat the liver dry, dredge it in flour, toss it in a hot pan with some fat (we used goose fat), brown it, pour in a bottle of beer, add onions, raisins, and apples. Cover, turn the heat down to medium low and let it simmer until the "gravy" is thick, onions and apples are soft. I might plump the raisins in beer first. Don't know if I'll make potatoes or beets to go with it...we'll see.

Today is SO's birthday and she requested a shrimp dish so that's what's for dinner tonight.

I'll make a shrimp scampi type dish with shallots and roasted red peppers over pasta.

I've narrowed it down to two choices. If my shrimp thaw out enough, we'll have Kayelle's Egg Foo Young, otherwise dinner will be kielbasa, homemade sauerkraut, and Brussels sprouts. Whatever we don't have tonight will be tomorrow's meal.

I've narrowed it down to two choices. If my shrimp thaw out enough, we'll have Kayelle's Egg Foo Young, otherwise dinner will be kielbasa, homemade sauerkraut, and Brussels sprouts. Whatever we don't have tonight will be tomorrow's meal.

Here's how I thaw shrimp quickly for a recipe. Place the frozen shrimp in a bowl and put hot tap water in the bowl to cover the shrimp by an inch or so. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Result, cold water and thawed shrimp. I don't have a concern with using hot water as the exposure is for such a short time.

New Mexico Chicken Enchilada

Tonight was an easy supper, New Mexico Chicken Enchilada
New Mexico Chicken Enchilada Dinner 001.JPG
Start with Hatch chiles, chopped,
Hatch Green Chile sauce
Shredded Cheese
New Mexico Chicken Enchilada Dinner 003.JPG
Shred some chicken mixed with
some of that lovely Hatch Green Chile sauce
and chiles; dollop that into a flour tortilla
and cheese it inside, roll,
New Mexico Chicken Enchilada Dinner 007.JPG
more sauce & chiles on top
with even more cheese, repeat
New Mexico Chicken Enchilada Dinner 002.JPG
2 or 3 should do the trick, place under the broiler
(on an oven/broiler safe plate of course)
to melt the cheese,
and dinner is on the table,
carefully though, that plate is hot
(I place a trivet in front of each dinner)

We had brined and fried pork loin chops with mushroom asparagus orzo risotto. I forgot how well the last of the cranberry sauce goes with pork. I think I'll make some more to keep on hand in the freezer.

Last edited:
I'm having simple to make Sweet 'N Sour pork again. The packet mix method actually turns out pretty good. What I want to try next is to make fried "battered pork strips". Right now I merely coat the pork strips in cornstarch mixed with soy sauce and a bit of water, then fry them in a little oil. They turn out OK, but I'd like to try frying the pork strips in a thicker batter so they fry up like restaurants make them. Fluffy coated. And yes, until I've got a recipe down pat and memorized, I put the ingredients into little dixie cups. Also, I'm halving the ingredients the packet calls for, so, putting them in dixie cups simplifies things for me. One more thing. I buy bone in pork loin chops and cut the meat off them into strips. I tried using boneless pork loins, but the pork strips came out tasting like blubber. Bone on pork loin chops have more flavor if you ask me.

sweet_n_sour.jpg

Last edited:
Happy birthday to your SO, Andy. :flowers:

kgirl, good looking pics! I never get tired of enchiladas. Everyone's meals sound so good, as always. :yum:

Nothing special here tonight. I had breakfast for dinner - scrambled eggs with spinach and onions, and a slice of toasted rye with fig jam.

Last edited:
Andy, hope your SO had a wonderful birthday.

Mostly rummage tonight, due to the fact that I spent part of the evening looking for the truck that ran me over. I can't get sick! We have tickets to a local community theatre production on Friday and I don't want to miss out. I made quick salads, Himself heated some of the leftovers. Later, I had a half-can of soup, a slice of toast...and a hot toddy. Gonna chase the germs out either with chicken soup or Boubon! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom