"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Master Chef

Do I have enough food?

DH owes me big time! A couple of days ago he said that some of his old co-workers were coming into town today for a meeting and that he wanted to have them over for dessert and drinks (OK, he gets points for knowing I'm not up to throwing dinner parties these days).

Well, he and I have a fundamental difference in what equates "a couple." He invited 10 people--and they'll all be here at 7 tonight!

So knowing they are having dinner before coming here, I think I have enough food but want to make sure.

I made a cranberry pecan cheese spread to serve with crackers and I'm making a molten chocolate cake that actually cooks in the crock pot. I've never made it before so I hope it turns out well. It's supposed to serve 6 and I'm doubling the recipe. I'll offer it with their choice of vanilla or espresso ice cream and fresh whipped cream--regular or spiked with Bailey's. I'll put out a dish of nuts and a bowl of pretzels or pop corn.

For drinks we have red and white wine, beer, and a wide assortment of sodas, ice tea and juices.

Is that enough for so many people?

Hubby is in charge of clean up!

Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Everymom

I think you almost have it covered, I would add a fruit plate with either a light dip (yogurt/cool whip works well) or some cheese to please those that ate heavily at dinner and don't want too much dessert. Just my thought though.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh yes! I would say that it is.

Have fun!!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I am with Alix. A little bit of fruit and cheese is a good idea. I think you would probably be fine without it too, but it couldn't hurt to have.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks everyone! I have the cheese spread I made but I'm not sure if I'll make it out to the store again to get anything else. DH just called to say he'll be late (of all nights! ) so I may have to stick with what I have.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
Head Chef

thinking of you, pa! you're a good wife!!! make sure hubby cleans up while you put your feet up!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Pa, I'll wager that you have plenty, the men will eat and most of the women will profess to be to full from dinner..Women do tend to eat like birds when other wormen are there to see

Relax, have a good time, I just know what you've made will be perfect and plenty...
kadesma
Old 09-08-2005, 08:23 AM   #8
Master Chef

Thanks everyone! It ends up that all of the guests ate dessert and the rest of the stuff was just picked at slightly. They said they miss working with Nathan because they don't get to eat the goodies I bake anymore. The cake recipe turned out really well. I'll post it in a bit.

Hubby was appreciative, did a good job cleaning up, and I got to rest!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Well I can imagine a whole bunch of happy faces and happy bellies with what you concocted with such a short notice!! I would have gone into an absolute panic mode in such a situation, I can see you are quite an expert!! Hats off!!

Licia