DO PEOPLE OVER 60 Eat differently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Is there such a thing where folks over 60 eat differnetly than others? Im not talking for medical reasons. What do you guys think.
72.gif

Hmm, well, my father started to eat healthier due to health reasons, but my mom started to eat much smaller portions and more frequently but was a lover of junk food and unhealthy foods in general, and you couldnt keep her away from candy. I'm 42 and was raised on basically homestyle cooking that wasnt exactly healthy. I still love alot of that stuff but eat much healthier, very rarely eat junk food, dont go to fast food place like McDonalds unless I have a major craving for junk which is rare, dont drink soda, rarely have coffee ( I used to have two cups a day), nothing with caffeine except an occassional piece of chocolate. I didnt change my eating habits for health reasons, it was just my preference.

I think we change the way we eat many times during our lives. My mom told me that our taste changes about every 7 years, and it has really held true for me. There are things I used to eat all the time but hardly ever even think about now, and there are foods I will try now that I wouldn't have when I was younger. I can't answer your question from personal experience yet, but when my dad hit his 60s he just kind of lost interest in a lot of foods.

:) Barbara

Interesting! 7 years sounds about right. Just last year I went through some fort of transformation. I used to enjoy sauerkraut and now I can't stand it! Figger that one out! :?

I have noticed a big change in my dad, who is now 80. He has always been a reasonably big eater, a big breakfast, medium lunch, and a big dinner. He tends to still eat a good breakfast, but smaller than he used to, a tiny lunch and quite a small dinner, he snacks more too. When eating out he often now only has an entree instead of a main meal.

His tastes haven't seemed to have changed, he still loves red meat and seafood, and isn't a sweet eater.

One thing I thought was weird is that he doesn't drink hot drinks at all now and used to be a huge coffee and tea drinker, which is a shame. He is an alcoholic, so the the coffee and tea in a morning used to stave off his first drink of the day.

DampCharcoal said:
Interesting! 7 years sounds about right. Just last year I went through some fort of transformation. I used to enjoy sauerkraut and now I can't stand it! Figger that one out! :?
Kind of weird, huh? When I was a little kid, I hated any kind of egg. By the time I was 14, I liked scrambled, egg salad, and deviled eggs, but I couldn't stand fried eggs. By 21 I loved (and still do) eggs cooked any way at all!

:) Barbara

I heard that your allergies change about every 7 or 8 years. It was true for me. all of a sudden when i was about 6 or 7, i started getting allergic to chocolate, and i am just now starting to be able to eat it now. thats about 7 years

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Is there such a thing where folks over 60 eat differnetly than others? Im not talking for medical reasons. What do you guys think.
72.gif

Discounting changes made for medical necessity, I don't think age changes what a person eats so much as how much you eat.

As I get older, I find I can no longer eat the huge quantities I used to eat. I still like the same stuff, I just can't eat as much of it.

I think it has to do with your metabolic rate, which "peaks" around 27 for men, and thence diminishes, gradually...(it "starts" high gear as you hit puberty)...

I believe for females, the "peak" is reached around 36-40 years (where's Audeo when you need something definitive?) and I think they "start" around 20...

If you cannot "process it" at the fantastic rate that simple metabolism gives you (of course this is greatly assisted by physical activity), then you tend to lose the appetite...

As for "allegies", with our four, we had a gamut of them, and were fortunate to be seconded to a good allergist that tested each of them (expensive...thank God for being a Canuck with Public Healthcare to pick up the costs!)...

Amongst those "discovered" were: dogs, cats, milk, food colouring peanuts, nuts, soy products, corn (and all corn derivatives), peas, apples, fish, tomato paste, etc etc...

A merry mess!

With the oldest, I was about to the point of wanting to "drive her through the wall", when we finally got this diagnosis....when she was "dried out" (14 days abstinence) (it was Christmastime, many years ago!) and we sent her back to school, within 20 minutes, the Principal was on the phone, asking if we had put her on Redelin, or some like drug...she was positively "normal"...

as the "tests" are non-specific, you are supposed to "dry out", then "test" each food item in small quantity (once!) and observe "reaction"...she came home from school, ate a 3/4" cube of medium cheddar, as was an idiot for seven long days....(this was the one with peas, corn products, apples, tomato paste...quite a "challenge"

Allergies do "fade" with time, tho' I'm not anxious to "test" Dougie with his peanut/soya/fish/nut allergies, as these are potentially "deadly"

Other things are simply "acquired" tastes...

Or so I have come to "believe"...

Lifter

wow, that would suck not eating chocolate.

hmmm, i thought about the 7 or 8 year thing, and it hasn't seemed to happen to me. i don't think i've ever stopped liking a type of food or dish. in fact, every few years i make another personal discovery of another type of food i love. there's been sushi, thai, german, brasillian, carribbean; every few years i run across something new (to me), and it just adds another page to my love of food.

Don't think my tastes have changed very much since I was 16 or so.

Except for eggs.

As a tadpole, my mom would give me a hard boiled egg every morning.

Would gag down the yolk, and could never deal with the white.

I guess she finally realized I could not stand the stuff and stopped cooking them (by the way, she was a fantastic mom, just think she believed an egg a day was good for a kid).

Shunned any egg dish for years.

Then on a fishing trip I was given fried eggs, and WOW, an epiphany.

Now will eat eggs any way except boiled, I still cannot stand those suckers.

As I get older however, I find I like spicy food more.

We go through tons of hot sauce here.

My DH ( 74) eats very little now..doesn't care if he eats or not. Doc says his electrolytes are off and his sodium is low (taken off salt..?..) Until they straighten him out he will have a loss of appetite. It is hard to try to get him to eat and then I eat foods I shouldn't have being a diabetic..trying to put weight back on him ( he is down to 127 from his normal 160) I gain a few and he still looses..Taint fair! I stay hungry all the time ( normal for a diabetic) and he won't eat.

Also as you age (can't believe I said that) you are not as active so you can get by on less food. At least that is what they say...... :?
Dove

I'm not 60 yet, but I have noticed that as i've gotten older the foods I eat have a more direct line to making me feel a certain way. What a complicated way to say something that is really simple!

If I eat sugar it makes me feel really strange. If i eat too much fat ditto.

i have to eat plenty of veggies or I don't feel right.

This from somebody with a so called iron constitution.

My two glasses of wine each evening are important to me, but try not to go over.

Pam

I still love all kinds of foods and I am over 60. Still love to cook, drink wine, and eat just about anything with few exceptions. The things I don't care for, I've never cared for. Hope this doesn't change anytime soon. Good food is such a pleasure. :)

Back
Top Bottom