"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
... However, cake is something I only freeze while making wedding cakes (to make them easier to work with and it is only a day or two). Since I am making it all the time it usually never makes it to the freezer!!

SO is the cake lady here. We had cake for dessert for our dinner party last night. She made the cake earlier and froze it briefly then defrosted it and made a chocolate whipped cream frosting for it yesterday.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I collect the single serving microwave dinner trays from everyone at work and make up dinners for work on my days off. Soups, etc. there is always enough for the next day and something for work. Unless I get ahold of a large cut of meat, I don't do batch cooking. Don't have the freezer space!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Head Chef

We do a fair amount of batch cooking for the freezer and 'canned' E.G. lots of marinara sauce from this season's tomato crop and the rest for frozen tomato soup. Also have 5 or 6 meals worth of onion soup and some of tortilla soup.
then we do both shepherd's and cottage pie, mac & cheese, meat loaf on occasion, lasagna and LOL, more I can't recall at the moment.
One of my faves for freezing as they last beautifully is bacon, cheddar and chive scones, and add to that assorted cookies and muffins and think we're set for the winter!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Head Chef

Always tomatoes/ tomato sauces depending on the garden. A few years ago, I had so many tomatoes, i actually had to go out and buy a second freezer to freez abut 40 quarts of sauce/ stewed tomatoes. Lasted me til the next summer. This year only about 20 quarts. Pierogies just made last week ( about 48). Although I prefer fresh, sometimes ill freeze the exact amount of veggie ingredients ( for my vegetable soup) in containers. and when im ready to go, just create a base, dump the veggies in, and im good to go. eggplant parmesan also is one i cant just make a serving for two, so always divide it up for future use ( reheat, hero, on top of pasta...)
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I buy tomato paste divide it into ice cube trays and when frozen pop out into freezer bag. also do with lemons when on sale - zest them all and place in ice cube trays and then juice them and put into ice cube trays. and again when frozen pop out and put into freezer bags. Just remenber mark your trays so don't get tomato tasting ice cubes for your beverages. I purchase a different color then my regular trays from our local Dollar store.
I freeze my stock the same way in ice cube trays and put them in freezer bags. This way if I need small amounts I have them on hand - beef, chicken, fish and vegetable stocks. I also freeze it them in larger quantities as well.

By the way, I have four freezers (plus the fridge one) so even keeping one reserved only for my cakes and other orders, I have lots of room!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't open a tomato paste can to freeze it, but when I open a can to use it in a recipe, I spoon the excess onto an oiled plate and freeze it in Tb. sized amounts then pop them into a Ziploc.

I do the same sort of thing with canned stock. I use what I need then pour the excess into a very small plastic storage container and freeze it for later use. I've never really felt the need for ice cube sized broth amounts.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've never really felt the need for ice cube sized broth amounts.
I mainly use them when making gravies/sauces for DH. He needs them to be gluten and dairy free and I only make enough for him at a time. Sometimes I use 2 or three cubes, but I still find it very handy this way. He has a powdered tomato soup mix that he makes a cup at a time of. He can't use milk, it doesn't taste good with soy and the cubes work really well for him.

Otherwise I agree, there isn't a lot of calling for stock cubes

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote