Do you batch cook in the Fall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I was just making a list today of what I have left in the freezer from my last batch cooking sessions and what I need to do now. I usually do this at the beginning of each month from September to May, but got a little behind during the last 5 months with Dad's and my health.

So far I have on my list
- Chilli
- Marinara, to freeze in batches and use in some of the other dishes. I make a huge batch.
- Lasagnas (made in individual foil containers and frozen; regular & glutenlactose free versions and I might to a vegetarian as well)
- Meatballs (regular and gluten free)
- Sausage (patties and loose meat)
- meat pies
- May make some more chicken and veal cordon bleu as Dad loves them

Sadly I have decided to forgo perogies this time because I am the only one that eats them and am trying to cut back on carbs. (The perogies aren't too bad but it is the bacon, butter and sour cream I add that kills it :ROFLMAO:)

What do you prep for your freezer?

I have never cooked food in large batches, but I do in the winter and fall cook several meals a week that make lots of leftovers. Then I freeze the leftovers for future quick meals. One of my friends was making marinara sauce and pesto to freeze for later last week.

I batch cook year round. I never did until I started living alone. Now it is just self preservation. I don't know how to make most things for 1 or 2. I try, but I just end up upping the pot size until I end up cooking for 8. So now I just freeze the rest for future use. I like just going to the freezer for a meal at times.

when i make lasagna, i make 2 - now that it is just 2 of home. i make bread pan size. I use one loaf pan and line it w/ plastic wrap and then use one for the oven make the lasagana and freeze the plastic wrap one. when it is frozen i take it out of the pan and put it in a freezer bag. then when ready to cook remove the plastic wrap and pop in the loaf pan pan.

Hint. I don't cook my noodles for the frezzer one, as when you thaw lasanga it tends to be lil watery so the uncooked noodled soak it up.

I do meatballs, tomatoe sauces, barbq sauce ,chili (in small containers for chili dogs, chili fries, or just chili-freeze cup cakes (not frosted) when i make a cake I bake in 2 pans
put one in the frezer. chix and beef stock is always on hand.
I buy tomato paste divide it into ice cube trays and when frozen pop out into freezer bag. also do with lemons when on sale - zest them all and place in ice cube trays and then juice them and put into ice cube trays. and again when frozen pop out and put into freezer bags. Just remenber mark your trays so don't get tomato tasting ice cubes for your beverages. I purchase a different color then my regular trays from our local Dollar store.

No batch cooking here...left overs? Sure, but it's rare to have to freeze any of them...
Sometimes I do BBQ 2 pork butts and freeze one.....

I usually cook extra helpings for work lunches on the weekend. Once in a while I'll cook an entree for one night during the week.

I do batch cooking all year. Large batches of tomato sauce with sausages and meatballs, chili, every kind of soups, enchiladas, pot pies, black beans, pulled pork, pot roast, cookies, cakes, all kinds of desserts.

Thanks, Andy, I forgot soups, home made stocks and broths - these are a huge staple around here.

Also, my friends know me all to well from my catering days and give me all their turkey, chicken, beef, even ham bones. With the ham bones I make split pea soup and stock for my baked beans.

And of course I freezer desserts and cookies. However, cake is something I only freeze while making wedding cakes (to make them easier to work with and it is only a day or two). Since I am making it all the time it usually never makes it to the freezer!!

I don't do a lot but I usually do chili (beanless) and Baked mac-n-cheese.For the mac I put the pasta sauce in an aluminum pan but I don't bake it until thawed at a later date.

when i make lasagna, i make 2 - now that it is just 2 of home. i make bread pan size. I use one loaf pan and line it w/ plastic wrap and then use one for the oven make the lasagana and freeze the plastic wrap one. when it is frozen i take it out of the pan and put it in a freezer bag. then when ready to cook remove the plastic wrap and pop in the loaf pan pan.

Hint. I don't cook my noodles for the frezzer one, as when you thaw lasanga it tends to be lil watery so the uncooked noodled soak it up.

I do meatballs, tomatoe sauces, barbq sauce ,chili (in small containers for chili dogs, chili fries, or just chili-freeze cup cakes (not frosted) when i make a cake I bake in 2 pans
put one in the frezer. chix and beef stock is always on hand.
I buy tomato paste divide it into ice cube trays and when frozen pop out into freezer bag. also do with lemons when on sale - zest them all and place in ice cube trays and then juice them and put into ice cube trays. and again when frozen pop out and put into freezer bags. Just remenber mark your trays so don't get tomato tasting ice cubes for your beverages. I purchase a different color then my regular trays from our local Dollar store.

Nice ideas, I'm going to the Dollar store. Especially the idea for lasagna!

Thanks!

Last edited:
... However, cake is something I only freeze while making wedding cakes (to make them easier to work with and it is only a day or two). Since I am making it all the time it usually never makes it to the freezer!!

SO is the cake lady here. We had cake for dessert for our dinner party last night. She made the cake earlier and froze it briefly then defrosted it and made a chocolate whipped cream frosting for it yesterday.

I collect the single serving microwave dinner trays from everyone at work and make up dinners for work on my days off. Soups, etc. there is always enough for the next day and something for work. Unless I get ahold of a large cut of meat, I don't do batch cooking. Don't have the freezer space!

We do a fair amount of batch cooking for the freezer and 'canned' E.G. lots of marinara sauce from this season's tomato crop and the rest for frozen tomato soup. Also have 5 or 6 meals worth of onion soup and some of tortilla soup.
then we do both shepherd's and cottage pie, mac & cheese, meat loaf on occasion, lasagna and LOL, more I can't recall at the moment.
One of my faves for freezing as they last beautifully is bacon, cheddar and chive scones, and add to that assorted cookies and muffins and think we're set for the winter!

Always tomatoes/ tomato sauces depending on the garden. A few years ago, I had so many tomatoes, i actually had to go out and buy a second freezer to freez abut 40 quarts of sauce/ stewed tomatoes. Lasted me til the next summer. This year only about 20 quarts. Pierogies just made last week ( about 48). Although I prefer fresh, sometimes ill freeze the exact amount of veggie ingredients ( for my vegetable soup) in containers. and when im ready to go, just create a base, dump the veggies in, and im good to go. eggplant parmesan also is one i cant just make a serving for two, so always divide it up for future use ( reheat, hero, on top of pasta...)

I freeze my stock the same way in ice cube trays and put them in freezer bags. This way if I need small amounts I have them on hand - beef, chicken, fish and vegetable stocks. I also freeze it them in larger quantities as well.

By the way, I have four freezers (plus the fridge one) so even keeping one reserved only for my cakes and other orders, I have lots of room!

I don't open a tomato paste can to freeze it, but when I open a can to use it in a recipe, I spoon the excess onto an oiled plate and freeze it in Tb. sized amounts then pop them into a Ziploc.

I do the same sort of thing with canned stock. I use what I need then pour the excess into a very small plastic storage container and freeze it for later use. I've never really felt the need for ice cube sized broth amounts.

I've never really felt the need for ice cube sized broth amounts.

I mainly use them when making gravies/sauces for DH. He needs them to be gluten and dairy free and I only make enough for him at a time. Sometimes I use 2 or three cubes, but I still find it very handy this way. He has a powdered tomato soup mix that he makes a cup at a time of. He can't use milk, it doesn't taste good with soy and the cubes work really well for him.

Otherwise I agree, there isn't a lot of calling for stock cubes :)

Back
Top Bottom