"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
auntdot, I couldn`t agree more :)

the Though behind this thread is quite simple, I made a little too many bread crumbs for tonights dinner, and so i thought of making Fish Cakes for during the week and considered posting my recipe for them, but then thought it through and realised that I actualy use packet mash as the the potato part and figured "Naah, I can`t post that, they`ll think I`m cheating" and it would be looked upon dimly.

then I got to figuring, I wonder how many of these chefs and cooks actualy "Cheat" also? maybe it ISN`T just me...

the rest is history :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I'm one to eat out if I don't have the time to cook (a good 50% of the time unfortunately).

Either that, or I eat simple stuff. I'll buy a baguette in the AM, and just eat hunks of it with some butter and jam. Sometimes I'll grab one of those rotisserie chickens and eat the legs/thighs. Usually the breast meat is way overcooked though so I just chuck that (or save it for soup if I know I'll have the time the next day).

Oh, definetly one area I cheat in 90%+ of the time is "Bag o' Lettuce". I buy tons of the stuff. My favorites are the Butter Lettuce mixes from Fresh Express. The "Riviera" mix is good too. I usually have to pick the hard ribs of romaine out of the latter though. I'll make a batch of vinaigrette early in the week and keep it in the 'fridge. A common meal for me is a pile of baby greens lightly dressed with a vinaigrette, a chicken leg/theigh, and a piece of baguette.

As far as fast-food goes, I'm a frequent customer for Subway's BLT without the T, and loaded with veggies. I'll pick up a footlong, eat half for lunch, and bring the other half into work at night. I normally order it "dry" and add my own oil & vinegar or dijon when I eat it.

And for the real dirt, every once in a while I get a craving for Manwich's and tatertots... my favorite processed meal growing up. I feel dirty having said that. Usually I feel sick after eating it though - especially the tatertots... I think theres something in'em that doesn't jive with me. Maybe some heavy metal that I overdosed on as a child and now my body flat out rejects it. Then theres the seizures... (j/k)

Old 12-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Read my signature and take it to heart. We all cheat.

I use canned broths and make my own. I buy puff pastry. never made it in my life and don't intend to.

There are very good prepared foods on the market and I use them. I see nothing wrong in that and also do not consider it cheating.

Instant mashed potatoes is not one of the prepared foods I buy but they are OK. When I first started cooking fo myself, I used them and enjoyed them.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #14
Head Chef

To me using some of these are not "cheating" (even if some don't admit to using them); I call it being practical when time and/or money won't allow you to make from scratch. I have seen many really good recipes on here that use many of these "convenience" items that turn out pretty darn good!!!! If you have children, are either the Mom or Dad that works outside the house (or even if you are stay-at-home); there are going to be many times that some of these are a life-saver when you have hungry people and not a lot of time!!!! So yeah, I am one that has done this when I needed to.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I tend to use those boil in a bag rices rather than the rice that takes 45 minutes to cook. Sometimes use canned vegetables and gravy.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
well thnx each, ya know.... I don`t feel half so bad now sharing any recipes that might use pre-packaged Cheat-Mode stuff now :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
well thnx each, ya know.... I don`t feel half so bad now sharing any recipes that might use pre-packaged Cheat-Mode stuff now :)

Go ahead and share. We can't think less of you than we already do
Old 12-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I guess canned/concentrated broths/demis would be my home cheat method. I don't think I've ever made broth or stock at home. Don't have the time.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #19
DC Grandma

Pre-packaged foods are a blessing for me..especially now.
Costco has good instant mashed potatoes.
I do add the packaged gravy mix to pan drippings ..

Post any and all of your recipes YT and please don't ever be embarrassed about the "quick" food items.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #20
Master Chef

I use prepared foods when it is convenient and I don't have time to make my own like tortillas, chili, broth, potatoes, gravies, etc. The one thing that I cannot bring myself to use it instant rice. It is just not the same. I just cannot give up my jasmine long grain rice.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote