"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #61
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I think the overwhelming answer is yes to everyone. Cheat meaning taking a short cut has almost a negative conotation. To some using instant mashed potato mix would be cheating. But if you didn't grow the potatoes, milk the cow and and churn the butter and after having did that distilled the water to make your own salt....is that not cheating? We all like what we like whether it's cheeze wiz, instant potatos, bologna sandwhich with Miracle Whip. We all like convenience but strive to find the proper balance that yields the result we are looking for. I have to go now and crush some cane so I can have a little sugar for my tea.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #62
Senior Cook

I don't use a lot of prepared stuff like instant Mashed potatoes but I don't make my own mustard or catsup except when it has some important reason [lets face it- a tuna or turkey sandwich fills but usually I'm in more a rush than caring about gourmet foods for a lunch sandwich that I'll often eat on my way to my next appt.].

I think that instant mashed potatoes are nearly a necessity in my pantry as a thickener. They , used properly, are a fine thickener in that they do their job and add nothing to the taste. I have eaten them straight and they remind me of nothing. They are nearly tasteless.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #63
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP
... I have to go now and crush some cane so I can have a little sugar for my tea. Merry Christmas, JDP

Yeah, but I'll bet you didn't grow the sugar cane...
Old 12-19-2006, 04:54 AM   #64
Senior Cook

Ayrton - "Ah, time to play "fun with foreigners" Philso?! (This may be the first and last time in history that "The Three Stooges" and "Jean-Paul Sartre" were mentioned in the same sentence.)"

this may have been the first time in history they've been mentioned together, but don't count on it being the last. wait till you read my forthcoming novella, "Lady Chatterbrane's Lubbers", in which our 3 heroes confound both satre and nietzsche at their own game, with the anachronistic help of euripedes. it's sure to please.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #65
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Quote:
Originally Posted by philso
Ayrton - "Ah, time to play "fun with foreigners" Philso?! (This may be the first and last time in history that "The Three Stooges" and "Jean-Paul Sartre" were mentioned in the same sentence.)"

this may have been the first time in history they've been mentioned together, but don't count on it being the last. wait till you read my forthcoming novella, "Lady Chatterbrane's Lubbers", in which our 3 heroes confound both satre and nietzsche at their own game, with the anachronistic help of euripedes. it's sure to please.
I'll take very obscure references for $1000 Alex.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #66
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP
I'll take very obscure references for $1000 Alex.
LOL!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #67
Master Chef

I'd guess my big cheat is to use canned chicken. It comes like canned tuna and when I'm in a hurry it can be mixed with mayo for sandwiches or added to rice or noodles for a quick main dish. A lot easier than dicing up chicken breasts. (did I mention I hate dicing?)
Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #68
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
auntdot, I couldn`t agree more :)

the Though behind this thread is quite simple, I made a little too many bread crumbs for tonights dinner, and so i thought of making Fish Cakes for during the week and considered posting my recipe for them, but then thought it through and realised that I actualy use packet mash as the the potato part and figured "Naah, I can`t post that, they`ll think I`m cheating" and it would be looked upon dimly.

then I got to figuring, I wonder how many of these chefs and cooks actualy "Cheat" also? maybe it ISN`T just me...

I never thought of instant mashed potaoes in a recipe was exactly cheating. Lol one Thanksgiving, I made mashed potatoes in a crockpot and they turned out runny because of the excess water trapped under the lid. My mom fixed my problem by adding instant mashed potatoes to the real and nobody noticed.
the rest is history :)
My husband won't let me use instant mashed stuff because for him it's a sacred thing. To save time however, I'll wash my potatoes really well and then chop them up without peeling them. I'll mash the potatoes skins and all. The only time I'll peel potatoes is for company. Also if you use a ricer to mash your potatoes. You can put your cooked unpeeled potates in the ricer and it will push the potato flesh though leaving the skins behind. Just throw away the skins and you still won't have to peel anything. Add some butter and some buttermilk and you have some really good 'taters.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #69
Head Chef

Well, as I think about what we're going to eat tonight, it occurs to me that I left out my very big cheat - curry sauces from Pataks and Sharwoods in jars. Hang my head in shame... On the other hand, they're a great way to turn out a tasty dinner in no time at all.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Wink

I don't use instant Mashed potatoes but I do have sliced frozen potatoes in my freezer ... from time to time I also buy sliced (and cleaned) mushrooms, if they are not available I might buy sliced frozen mushrooms...

I never make my own pasta I buy it either fresh or dry.

That was my confession