"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Do you ever order "The Usual"?

By my office lunch choices are pretty limited if you don't eat fast food. There are a handful of places to eat, some of which are very good, but not enough that I can go a long time without hitting the same places. Because of this I have become somewhat of a regular at some restaurants. very rarely do I order the same thing every time I go somewhere, but at the local Thai place I have been ordering the same dish prepared the same way every time I go there. It has gotten to the point that one of the waitresses, who I usually get, now just asks me "the usual?" when I sit down. I have always seen that on TV, but never experienced it myself. i kind of like it. Have any of you ever had the same situation?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Yup - I have a local take out place in my town that has great Korean food. I often call and order a number 44 and a number 10. They almost always ask if "this is Janet....."

Old 01-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Head Chef

I used to, at a Mexican Restaurant, before it closed...
Beef Burrito, enchilda style and a plate of refried beans.

these days, I try to vary things, but the above was Mexican perfection!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Sort of. The local chineese take away makes a decent roast pork lo mein that I alway order.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I guess my question was not so much if you order the same thing every time, but more if you or the waitstaff actually say "the usual" and know what that means for you.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I lived in an itty bitty town and was a block away from our local diner, I could see the shop front from my doorstep. If I wanted something else for breakfast I couldn't turn on my porch light. Once the porch light came on I was having 2 eggs up, ham and hashbrowns with sourdough...it hit the table by the time I sat down. This began happening about two weeks after I started eating breakfast there. But, the waitress nor I ever got to say, "The Usual."
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

That is pretty damn cool PF60.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Everymom

Theres a restaurant in town here that has one entree titled "the Usual" heeeheeeheee! I think thats funny.

The only place I had anything "usual" was the local Rose and Crown pub. My friend and I went every Saturday night and always had the same drinks. It got so that they even knew which of us was the DD that week!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That is pretty damn cool PF60.
Yeah, it was. I was sad when we moved away. Of course in the coffee shop I visit I don't have to say a word or even grunt for my coffee. It's just ready for me when I hand over the money. I guess I do get stuck in a rut with some things. But, I only buy what I really like!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

Well, GB, the waiter at this one Italian Restaurant when I worked in Vancouver didn't actually say "the usual", but he might as well have. I would look at the menu and listen to the specials and say that sounds good or what's in that and he would answer and nod and then say "so Tortellini Alfredo with mushrooms"? and I would nod and say yeah, I'll try something new next time, to which he would reply as he walked away "sure you will!".

About 6 years later I went with my husband to another Italian Restaurant and my previous waiter was the maitre d' there. He smiled when we came in and asked how I was as he took us to the table. I then saw him talking to the waiter. The waiter came to the table as we were still looking at the menu and said to me "Ma'am, your usual is not on the menu but I am sure the chef will make it for you...(not stopping to let me say a word) sir, what will you be having?" I still have my tortellini Alfredo with mushrooms, though I am usually making it myself these days.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote