"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #21
Head Chef

I see today's schedule indicating 11:30 to 7 is pure cooking shows. Good Eats includes cooking, so it's not just reality/etc... Emeril Live takes up a block between 8 and 9. Heck, it looks like the majority of their shows, other than Unwrapped, at least on Wednesday, involve actual cooking or explaining how to cook.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
Food Network's viewership has gone through the roof since they changed their format, FWIW.
The only reason for that is because now most of their shows appeal to a different type of viewing crowd. That's not to knock anyone, but for a lot of people including myself, that's just not their thing. I understand that as a pure business decision, it was a great move because the more that you can appeal your product to the masses, the more profitable you'll be.

For me, I don't want to see the Barefoot Contessa or Paula Dean slobber around in their kitchens, but many people now tune in for the show itself, rather than the food. That's the only explanation that I can think of because hardly anyone on that channel does anything new. To be honest, the only two shows on FoodTV where I actually learn anything is from Molto Mario and Iron Chef. Molto Mario I've watched from when I first discovered FoodTV, back in around 1996. That's when I actually enjoyed watching Emeril, before he went live. FoodTV used to about learning, showcasing new ingredients, techniques, and chefs. Now it's about attracting as many viewers as possible and like I said, there's nothing wrong with that. I understand completely. But on average, I probably watch that channel now about 3-4 hours a week. I used to watch it that much or more every day.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
I see today's schedule indicating 11:30 to 7 is pure cooking shows. Good Eats includes cooking, so it's not just reality/etc... Emeril Live takes up a block between 8 and 9. Heck, it looks like the majority of their shows, other than Unwrapped, at least on Wednesday, involve actual cooking or explaining how to cook.
Like I said in my other post, it's not a matter of them not doing any actual cooking on the shows, it's more a matter of learning, innovating, and teaching. It doesn't happen anymore. I mean seriously, if you really need to watch Alton Brown for 30 minutes to learn how to make toast, something's amiss.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I enjoy some of the shows that show how to actually do the preparation and cooking. I don't like the ones that try to be too entertaining. I learn a lot from Sara Moulton, even if I don't cook the same things. I like Everyday food and Americas Test Kitchen. I sometimes watch Ina - she does show things I want to learn. I watch Paula, but she has become quite repetitive - in procedures and also the food she cooks. I'm not crazy about Sandra Lee - that doesn't appeal to me and I couldn't redo my kitchen according to what meal I'm making - or get an outfit to match. I think it is time for some new chefs or cooks or whatever - but with new ideas, new techniques - not reruns of what we already have seen.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I LOVE Ready Steady Cook, but no longer get BBC. Food Network had a variation on it -- Ready Set Cook, which was ok until people kept bringing in impossible ingredients, like octopus, rhubarb and molasses cookies.

Emeril is not at all a bad chef, but his showmanship does get in the way -- in a major way, IMO.

I think you refer to The Two Hot Tamales -- Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Fenigar who were fantastic cooks with a great show.

And Cat Cora and the Indian lady were on Melting Pot, which was, IMO, one of their best shows.

Sara Moulton is also a terrifically accomplished chef who was a great teacher.

FTV, IMO, has taken a turn for the worse by pulling some of the best shows (see all of the above but emeril) about food and cooking and replacing them with pith. It is telling when they tout Saturdays as "FOOD NETWORK IN THE KITCHEN" as though they are reserving a special day to broadcast shows about actual cooking. SOme of the shows demonstrate a disrespect for food and cooking that has turned me off completely. I hardly watch it anymore.
Thanks for the reminders of names. You pegged them all!!

I feel very differently about this Emeril guy, though. In one show that I was forced to watch he said something about this mussel that (precooked) was slightly opened and that it was O.K. because it would open when it was steamed. Uh... WHAT!!!???!!!! In the other one he said that a peanut was a treenut. Ummm... no it's not. It's a legume. He gets heating times wrong, he gets terms mixed up. Ugh. I can't believe this guy is such a sensation in the US. I feel like it's about the entertainment and not the context.

Also wanted to mention that when I happen across it... Nigela Lawson is always a joy to watch. So down-to-earth and real. I have kids, too, so it seems like she's in touch with life.

Very tired... must go to bed... :)
Old 01-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Veloholic, thanks for reminding me about BBC. I don't get BBC at home but I love the link I have to their site that have some great recipes.

I forgot about Jamie Oliver. I really enjoyed his recipes and tried some of them as well.

For the Indian gal - her name is Padma Laxmi and although she was charming she is a model/actress and not a culinary expert by any means. She is married to Salman Rushdie the controversial novelist and resides in U.K.

I like Julie Sahai and her books although I have not seen her on many cooking shows except epicurious which airs on the Travel Channel.
Well, as a lover of but not an expert on Indian food, it's nice to get some recipes at least. The recipes probably aren't even her own, but she presents them well. I've not been back to see the show for a while, though. I DID NOT know that little tidbit of trivia about her. How very charming and mysterious of her. Good for her.

I don't know this Julie Sahai... could you tell us more about her?

Oh, and I just have to say that I loved what you did with my user name... Veloholic is probably more appropriate!!
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #27
Head Chef

Many Food Network fans remember David Rosengarten's show with great fondness.

David Rosengarten now puts out a gourmet food newsletter.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:55 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I like America's Test Kitchen, Everyday Italian with Giada DeLaurentiis and Paula Deen (her recipes are great, but if you ate them on a regular basis your cholesterol would be in 4 digits). I also enjoy watching Sara Moulton if the recipes aren't too foofoo Gourmet. If I'm really bored I can struggle through almost any show except for Mario Batali.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #29
Master Chef

Thumbs up

FoodTV ROCKS!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #30
Sous Chef

YES. Usually, no one gets hurt or murdered! Sandyj