"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-26-2006, 12:58 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I think the shows on PBS are better.

Lidia. Rick Bayless. Ming. Jacques. Julia. Mary Ann Esposito. America's Test Kitchen. Johnson and Wales. Everyday Food.

Everyday Food is the TV show from the Martha mag. Its fantastic -- a less glitzy 30Min Meals.
i completely agree with jenny, again. pbs's shows blow food tv out of the water. and i love everyday food. no bs, just cooking info. i particularly like the left handed guy, and the cute babe with the blue eyes and long nose.
another recent fave is jacques' "fast food". lidia bastianich also rocks.
thanks for reminding me about mary ann esposito, i don't catch enough of her shows.

also, i agree with (our) iron chef. his assesments are dead on, imo.
and i cannot watch even 1 minute of "contessa", partly from envy, partly from the slobber, lol.

i still watch many food tv shows to see if they're making something that piques my interest, including iron chef tos (japan), mario, emeril, giada, rr (always with the sound muted), and alton (unless i'm in a bad mood. then i throw things at the tv when he does those dumb skits).

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That's funny Bucky...Paul watches rr with the sound off too...

Old 01-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #33
Sous Chef

I was just thinking about this... cooking shows are actually a very nice link between cultures and languages. I've heard of people learning languages better from such programs than any other way. Not the glitzy, Emril-like entertainment shows, but the REAL cooking-to-teach-you-something shows, like they had on PBS back in the day. Anyone remember "Cooking with Caprial"?

My MIL, who spoke no English, would enjoy watching PBS cooking shows when visting the US back in the early 90's. She didn't UNDERSTAND the words, but she UNDERSTOOD and was entertained by the food preparation. Managed to retain some English from them, too. Same for me in German - OST (Austrian TV) has cooking shows that I would never UNDERSTAND no matter how long I watched (because of the language), but I still enjoy it and yeah, I probably know some Austrian German now. Just goes to show you how universal the language of FOOD is.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

velochic, ja, stimmt, und ich verstehe. (sorry if my deutsche ist crappy)

i watch a lot of spanish tv and have learned a lot, especially from the weather reports. i mean, weather reports are graphic intensive, with lots of text (tormenta, bajo, alta, etc.), and the weather girls are easy on the eyes.

i'm not sure if i could watch finnish tv for any effect, tho. and who the heck edits finnish cookbooks??????
talk about spell check...
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #35
Head Chef

velochic sorry about mistyping your screen name. This is what happens when you go fast and change uppercases and lowercases and mix everything up to invent something new.

I remember cooking with Caprial. I did enjoy Chef Caprial Pence and how she demonstrated every little step. It was indeed like a cooking school. I learned how to make Hollandaise sauce from her.

I am glad to see a lot of folks on this forum remember PBS.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
velochic sorry about mistyping your screen name. This is what happens when you go fast and change uppercases and lowercases and mix everything up to invent something new.
Oh, no... I loved it. I'm sure my family thinks I spend too much time on my bicycle and Veloholic is quite accurate!!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #37
Executive Chef

As I've said before, we don't get many of the American chefs on our TV screens - I suspect that the different measurement methods may have something to do with this... but also suspect it is because we have LOADS of chefs and cookery programmes of our own! A list, although others may be able to add other favourites! most of their series were made by the BBC and may have been available for PBS in the States.

Nick Nairn
Nigella Lawson
Anthony Worrall-Thompson (not too keen on his stuff)
Jamie Oliver
Jean Cristoph Novelli
The Roux Brothers (and the son of one of them - he's GREAT)
Gordon Ramsay (He ll's Kitchen - I seem to recall that he did an American copy of the UK series)
Locatelli
Anton Mosimann
Claudia Roden - for mediterranean and foods from Lebanon, Egypt and other 'Near East' countries
Madhur Jaffrey
Delia Smith (although she seems to have 'retired' from cookery programmes)
Darina Allen (Irish)
John Torode
Sean Hill
2 Hairy Bikers
2 Fat Ladies (now only Clarissa Dickson-Wright)
Brian Turner
Hugh Fearnley-Whttingstall (or 'Huge and eats it all' as he's known!)
Old 01-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
(For better or worse ...) We don't have a TV. It's been that way the whole time in Ireland, but in days of yore I kept cooking shows on the tube at least 50% of the time. On a host of different channels, even Super Station's "Dinner and a Movie" could be cute at times. And who could forget the classic, enduring show "The Galloping Gourmet", for that alone PBS's cooking shows are worth watching.

Some of my top favs (I'm not sure if they still run these all)

-A Cooks Tour (lol, as I've elluded to in other posts, I have a *fondness* for Anthony Bourdain )

-Gordon Ramsey

-Nigella Lawson

-Good Eats (how good anyone on earth whose into cooking not dig this awesome show!)

-Unwrapped and Top Five (love food fact shows!)

-Food 911

-Door Knock Dinners

-Canadian Living Cooks

-Dolce Vita with David Rocco (major Italian eye candy!)

-Sugar with Anna Olson

-The Surreal Courmet (you have to like a chef who drives around in a giant silver toaster)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
I see today's schedule indicating 11:30 to 7 is pure cooking shows. Good Eats includes cooking, so it's not just reality/etc... Emeril Live takes up a block between 8 and 9. Heck, it looks like the majority of their shows, other than Unwrapped, at least on Wednesday, involve actual cooking or explaining how to cook.

A lot of people at at work from 11 to 7 though.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
I remember cooking with Caprial. I did enjoy Chef Caprial Pence and how she demonstrated every little step. It was indeed like a cooking school. I learned how to make Hollandaise sauce from her.

I am glad to see a lot of folks on this forum remember PBS.

Who was the guy Caprial cooked with on the show that isn't on anymore?

And does anyone remember the show with those brothers from Dallas who made Italian food?