"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Just at Weekends - Professional Working House

To be honest, when the girls were growing up and still at home, of course, yes.

We are both professionals and not home during day, so we do make a breakfast list and a weekend list and a list for necessities: toilet paper, laundry detergent etcetra ...

However, we live in Madrid, and 2 wines each and tapas during the evening, are the norm, and actually cheaper and less time consuming than eating a full dinner at apartment. Another point, is that in Madrid, we eat 20.30 hrs - 21.00 hrs. and real light --- very little ...

At the wkends, I prepare Saturday´s lunch and he likes to prepare Sunday´s though it depends on our social calendar too ... and we like to get away for wkends too when we both can. He works on Saturdays as he is a Vet and I do alot of writing & re-edit at wkends.

As we are both very urban, this is our chosen lifestyle.

Good question.

Margi.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
As with Craig, a lot of our shopping is from our freezers. We have two zero-degree freezers, plus a rather large one at the bottom of the fridge.

Based on our shopping list, we remove what we need from the deep freezers and transfer it to the under-fridge one. Then we make a point of transferring the next day's (or, depending, the day after that's) stuff to the fridge to defrost.

Not all our meals are made new, either. Although there's just the two of us, I make full recipes of everything. This gives us 4-8 servings, depending on the dish. We have the meal when it's first made, then I put up the balance as our own "TV" dinners, which get defrosted in the fridge and reheated in the nuke.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not really. I live alone so I decide no more than 24 hours in advance. If I have a dish I'm getting hungry for I make sure I have all the ingredients. Leftovers often go in the freezer for easy meals later. When the freezer starts getting really full I'll have a freezer week, using meals prepared earlier, and enjoying a cleaner kitchen for a few days. Freezer meals also have the advantage of the "better the next day" flavors.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
To be honest, when the girls were growing up and still at home, of course, yes.

We are both professionals and not home during day, so we do make a breakfast list and a weekend list and a list for necessities: toilet paper, laundry detergent etcetra ...

However, we live in Madrid, and 2 wines each and tapas during the evening, are the norm, and actually cheaper and less time consuming than eating a full dinner at apartment. Another point, is that in Madrid, we eat 20.30 hrs - 21.00 hrs. and real light --- very little ...

At the wkends, I prepare Saturday´s lunch and he likes to prepare Sunday´s though it depends on our social calendar too ... and we like to get away for wkends too when we both can. He works on Saturdays as he is a Vet and I do alot of writing & re-edit at wkends.

As we are both very urban, this is our chosen lifestyle.

Good question.

Margi.
I keep hearing that in many countries like Italy and Spain, many shop on a daily basis for the main meal. Is this accurate?

I live in south Florida, where there is a very large Cuban population. I have noticed that many families will have 3 generations living together. The grandparents are usually retired and stay at home most of the time and abuela does most of the cooking. Is Spain similar in this custom?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I do as HF does, sometimes. I make a list of 7 meals and shop for the ingredients needed. I try to vary the proteins and types of dishes so we're not having beef two days in a row, for example.

Then there are other weeks when I don't plan at all other than to eat what's in the freezer without forethought.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Wine Guy

I plan 4 sit down meals a week. This gives us wiggle room to go out when we like or have leftovers as the mood strikes us. We plan ahead, but also like some spontaneity.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have no plan and I stick to it.

I usually try to figure out tomorrow today, but that doesn't always work. Some things more advance notice than others and that trips me up at times.

If I can't figure something out I tend to have a couple go to things that don't any actual planning.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Master Chef

Definitely in the no-plan group here. I try to have the basics for our favorite meals on hand most of the time. I have a deep freeze which helps in that regard. If I want to try a new recipe, that usually happens on the weekends when I have the time to experiment. WalMart and Kroger are between home and work so I can easily stop and pick up something I may not have. Lately, with DH gone half the week, my cooking has greatly slowed. We tend to eat a lot of chicken and hamburger based meals.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

i shop once a month. so i have a vague plan based on what i buy. 24 hours is about as far ahead that i plan. thaw, etc. however that is always subject to change depending on what i feel like.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I plan weekly... ish. I shop at the Asian market (ludicrously better than standard markets). I also visit the standard market that's across the street from me and snatch up any deals on dairy and produce. I plan out 3-5 meals per week, allowing for any last-minute clearance finds that may alter my plan. For instance, on Friday I found peppers and onions on clearance, so I made chicken chili.

Tags
meals