Do you remember your first time??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
:rolleyes: haa haa.....made you look.:ROFLMAO:

Do you remember the first recipe you ever followed?

I'll start. I must have been around 8 or 9 years old. My parents owned a little mom and pop grocery store, and I grew up in the little attached house. What a great place to grow up, with such a huge pantry, and meat market!! It was the start of my lifelong love of good food. One of my parents would often come in from the store during the day to start dinner on the stove. One day I got out one of mom's cookbooks and decided to get into the kitchen and surprise them. I found a recipe for a "cheese souffle'" of all things!! I followed the complicated directions exactly, and it turned out fabulous!! It was light and puffy just the way it should be, and just beautiful, and delish! The best part was that my parents raved and bragged about my talent at mastering such a recipe at such an early age. In fact they talked to others about it for years. It sure taught me a lot about parenting later on.
That was the first and last time I ever made a "cheese souffle"..... but it sure was the start of my "love for cooking". :chef:

Your turn.........

Beans and franks, from some Scholastic Book Club children's cookbook.
I still make it occasionally!

Scout Merit Badge Project:

Fried Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes (no instant), Peas and Apple Sauce.

...fond memories! :chef:

I don't remember the first time.

It was probably a cake. I'd ask mom for something and she'd tell me to try to make it myself. Then, when it turned out OK, she'd tell me she wasn't going to make that item any more and that I'd have to make it if I wanted it.

She got me interested in cooking even though my Dad was a chef.

I must have been about 9 and I loved the smell of the cooking in my grand fathers kitchen. Both my grandparnents cooked but grandpa was always coming home with recipes from all the Italian friends he made on his beer route...So my first get your hand in was pasta sauce, chopping onions,garlic herbs stirring that big ol pot and helping with the polenta. Burns, yes, standing on a chair til I thought i'd drop, yep, did i love it.. yes and I still do:) There is nothing better than placing a bowl of hot polenta and a bowl of sauce on the table and watching you family smile and dig in.
kadesma

Probably around age nine for me, too. My GS leader signed us up for a four-week class at the gas company - they had a small cooking school there. Learned to read through and follow recipes there since my Mom usually cooked by feel or memory - not a bad way to cook, either! So the very first recipe was probably spiced apples or Brussels sprouts:ohmy: with bacon! (One of my favorites...and now I think I know why - although I've embellished over the years.) And, yes, I still have the little cookbook they gave us that class....

Absolutely! It was Shrimp Wiggle from some cookbook for "Little Miss Cooks" cannot remember the name, but the Shrimp Wiggle was delicious. I was 8.

Still like the stuff. ;)

chili - mcall's cook book (one of those thin weekly paper back booklet collection offers at the super market)

My dad taught me how to make a Pineapple Upside cake. I think I was around 8 or 9. About two weeks later I was allowed to make it on my own except for the part about taking the hot pan out of the oven.

Stone Soup

My first time was not solo! No, no! It was making Stone Soup at girl scout camp! Each person added an ingredient that they brought for soup. As the leader read the story, we each added our ingredients...then we sat around watching the soup pot like a group of proverbial witches tending the caudron. The soup was YUMMY! It was loaded with veggies and was hot on a very cool fall evening. What a warm fuzzy memory for me! Thanks for suggesting it!

~Kathleen

The first recipe I remember following on my own was for meatloaf. It was in a children's cookbook and I made it for dinner. Chopped the onion and everything. I was probably 9 or 10.

Chocolate chip cookies. And I remember making rice pudding because my dad said he liked it.

My son's first recipe, which is ensconced in my cookbook, says, "Put hot dog in microwave and cook til it wiggles."

Back
Top Bottom