"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I buy things that I can get for free when there's a sale plus a double coupon, etc, whether I need them or not. This is why I currently have 12 tubes of unopened toothpaste.................!
LOL JKath, you must shop at Ralph's huh?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
Hospitality Queen

Actually, more Vons than Ralphs (like the produce section better.....well, that, and they have a Starbucks), but they both put it on sale almost weekly!
At least I can say I'm always minty fresh! :)

Old 07-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Places like Sam's Club and Costco were MADE for over-buying stuff...

And then of course, for me, there's the beer store....

John
Old 07-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #14
Hospitality Queen

you BUY beer, John? I thought you only made it!

I can imagine you in a beer store would be like my boys at Toys R Us.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
you BUY beer, John? I thought you only made it!

I can imagine you in a beer store would be like my boys at Toys R Us.
It's strictly for research purposes!! Yeah, yeah, research purposes!!

And I do a LOT of research...

John
Old 07-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #16
Cook

I try to stockpile non-perishables when they are on sale at a good price but only buy refrigerated items for the current week's menus. I used to over-buy meats, but it would kill me to throw it away after it sat in the fridge for a week and a half. Since I have the basics available at all times, I try to make out the week's menu on sundays and stick to it.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #17
Executive Chef

If I had a spare freezer I would definately stock up on meats, poultry. Since I dont have a spare, I just buy what I need for the week. This time of year I buy alot more fresh produce since it's in season and much cheaper.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:27 AM   #18
Master Chef

My husband has a tendency to over-buy on certain products. For example, he'll decide that we don't have enough Worcestershire sauce when there are two bottles in the pantry (there are two of us!). Capers is another one. He's always been this way. But the kind of over-buying you're talking about strikes me as having a background as many above have mentioned .... needing reassurance that you'll never be hungry again. Or perhaps there are other things she wants, but cannot afford or feel comfortable buying, but you can always spend money on food. I over-buy fresh foods when in season because they are so ****ed good. I usually manage to find something to do with them. But, like others have said, look into her background and you'll probably find a source.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:35 AM   #19
Master Chef

lol, claire, not all things have some deep-rooted psychological meaning. i just love variety and having what i want right there at my fingertips. i don't like having to dash off to the store when i need an igredient RIGHT NOW, so why not keep all that i need on hand, and then some? as i've said before, i've always had what i wanted and needed, and maybe THAT'S my problem. unless you count when i wanted fruit roll-ups instead of an apple but my Mom said i had to have the apple, or when my doctors put me on NPO sometimes (no food by mouth.) in fact, i was made to eat more than i wanted to both by my Parents and my elementary school principal growing up.

my Grandpa went QUITE hungry during the depression and he doesn't over-buy at all.
i over-buy a bunch of things, like several cases of notebooks when they are on sale and pens when they are on sale, tons of them. but all the things i buy get used. i buy too many clothes, too. i grew up with tons of clothes. but before you know it, the clothes i buy need to be replaced cause my bony knees wear them out, and those pens get lost or run out of ink. notebooks get filled up. food gets eaten. spices get used. wine gets drunk, gum gets chewed, paper towels get crumbled up and throw away, soap runs out, film turns into pictures, socks get holes in them....
so i love knowing that when something runs out or wears out i can just go dig a brand new one out of the closet.
and that is all i have to say about that.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
It's strictly for research purposes!! Yeah, yeah, research purposes!!

And I do a LOT of research...

John
dude, we need to open a research institute. can i be the first test subject? (unless it's that control group/placebo crap)

i hate to waste food, especially meat (those critters gave their lives so we can live. anyone who wastes meat should be re-incarnated as a feed animal). so i will only overbuy stuff that will last a long time, hopefully to be used, not thrown away. conspicuous consumption, and all other types of wasteful consumption is a bad thing.