"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 07-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #31
Master Chef
I rarely buy too much (my wife takes care of that end), but I always pay too much

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:23 AM   #32
Master Chef
I absolutely agree, luvs, that all over-buying isn't always a symptom of deep psychological need! As I said, sometimes we overbuy just because it seems great at the moment. I do my weekly shopping usually right after an exercise class, and always over-buy on drinks. Juices, pop, mineral water, seltzer. IT's obviously a physical need at that time. I'll actually be drinking a bottle of juice as I walk through the store, and will still buy tons of things to drink. And anyone who has shopped when they were hungry knows about that. I rather doubt my husband's need to buy Worchestershire sauce, Capers, and Dobie pads comes from anything more than a quirk. When Hubby over-buys, he says it is because it is one extravagance that is never wasted. No matter how broke you are, food is food.

That said, I have known people who have starved in their youth. It is odd that some react so much different than others. One acquaintance (Baatan death march) swore he'd eat everything he could if he lived, and did, and was quite obese and happy with it. Another friend wakes up in the middle of the night, and goes through her kitchen, checking to make sure there's enough food there ... but she, herself, barely eats enough to keep herself alive. But those cupboards have to be stocked with enough food to feed an army.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:25 AM   #33
Master Chef
By-the-way, if it is nonperishable, you're not over-buying, you're just stocking the pantry!!! Then, when there's a food drive, you just give it all away!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #34
Executive Chef
I try to keep a few days worht of canned goods like beans,spam,potted meat,tuna,vienna sausages,salmon,and spam for emergencies.

You are not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Bangbang is offline   Reply With Quote