does turkey size matter to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was wondering, how big of a turkey everyone was preparing this thanksgiving? i picked up a 21 pounder last night. shady brook farms brand i think. my fav is wampler, but they didn't have them. because of an in store promotion, i got it at 20 cents per pound, or roughly $4.25 for a huge boid.
so how big is your boid this year? do you prefer bigger or smaller turkeys, and why?

Nah, size dosen't matter to me as long as...NEVERMIND! The mind went straight to the gutter on that! But anyway, the size of the turkey dosen't matter to me as long as it's not over cooked & there is enough to feed everyone.

Today must be double entandre (sp?) day :)

I like em big because that means more leftovers.

We normally cook one around 12-15 lbs. Just not that many of us to feed. Then when you add all the other dishes...way too much to eat.

I'm going with a 14 pounder for several reasons. I'm brining, and much larger causes problems with room in the refrigerator. I flip the bird for even roasting, and it's not easy to flip a large, hot bird. Also, a larger bird results in way too many leftovers for us.

umm, mudbug. if you are eating a turkey from the ocean, it's more than likely a cormorant or pelican...

We're walking a fine line here!

Ours is about 19 lbs. There are 7 of us, so that should provide good leftovers. If it were up to me, we'd go a bit smaller, but it's actually a huge accomplishment that I've gotten my mom to buy anything smaller than 20 lbs. Growing up, it was just my mom, dad, and me and she usually got around a 23-pounder!

If the temp is cold enough outside, you can place it in a cooler and leave outside.

Rainee said:
If the temp is cold enough outside, you can place it in a cooler and leave outside.
I know, but if I did that we'd have a record heat wave and I'd be changing ice packs all night. Also, after the brining process I air-dry it in the refer for crisp skin.

MJ is going to yell at you jokers pretty soon. LOL.

buckytom, what I want to know is how you managed to pay only 20 cents a pound? I have never paid less than 99 cents a pound, and that is for a utility bird.

alix, there was an in store promotion that if you spent more than $300 in the last 2 weeks in this store, you had your choice of a free store brand turkey, ham, or lasagna; or you could get 99 cents off per pound of your choice of turkeys... they do this every year, so dw and i usually end up with 2 cheap turkeys for thanksgiving, and they do it again for christmas, when we get 2 hams...

Lucky bum! I would soooooo stock my freezer if they were cheap here. We don't get many cool promos like that darn it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Otter said:
I'm going with a 14 pounder for several reasons. I'm brining, and much larger causes problems with room in the refrigerator. I flip the bird for even roasting, and it's not easy to flip a large, hot bird. Also, a larger bird results in way too many leftovers for us.

Same thing here, otter. I'll be picking up a fresh 14-16 pound turkey next Tuesday, and it won't have any pre-injected brine.

Yep a 14-16 pounder. That is enough for T-day, leftovers, sandwiches, turkey pot pie, and the obligatory turkey soup.

Well, maybe a 16-18 lb. one.

Then it is almost time for Christmas.

And we definitely do not repeat the turkey thing.

Back
Top Bottom