Dog Days Dinner - 7/3/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobb salad.

Attachments

• 2018-07-03 18.58.03.jpg
    2018-07-03 18.58.03.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 99
Guess who ran out of propane on the BBQ. sigh...

had to finish them in the house, on the stove and we are in the same heat wave as the rest of you.

But delish anyhow! Grilled Vietnmese Chicken Thighs, Baby Bok, Eggplant and rice.

Looks delicious Dragn. I HATE running out of propane, but it never happens anymore since we bought an extra tank, and one is always full. Worth every dime.

I came back home today to find my fridge door open about half an inch. So, goodbye Mayo. :mad:

I didn't have to throw away a lot of things, but I now have to do some re-stocking.

Fried red tomatoes are also good, if you can't get green ones. You need to pat the tomato slices well with paper towels, to get rid of some of the water. But, dip them in bread crumbs and pan fry them in butter, and they are very good.

About the only way I cook corn these days is on the grill, and I do it hot and fast. I like my corn crunchy.

My dinner will probably be a burger or some wings on the grill. It is too hot for indoor cooking -- although 100F is fairly normal here for July. I feel for you folks who live where upper 90s is not something you deal with every summer.

CD

I scrambled some eggs with pepperoni, cheddar, and green onions. And discovered my Chipotle Tabasco sauce had a 2015 use-by date. Oh well, it still tasted good.

Unusually long and hot heat wave here in UK. It hasn't rained in my neck of the woods for nearly 6 weeks. Fortunately, there's been a slight breeze to make it more bearable. Went out on Friday to water (with run-off from the roof collected over the winter, so don't tell me off for wasting tap water) my two apple trees which were looking the worse for wear and I think two of my long established rhododendrons have had their chips due to shortage of water.

...Fried red tomatoes are also good, if you can't get green ones...
My green ones were a little bit redder each time I looked at them! :LOL: By the time I fixed supper, only a 1-inch circle of green was left at the stem. The cooked up softer than I would have liked. Still tasty. Next time, though, I'll get the tomatoes at the farmers' market with plans of making them that night.

The other part of the meal was a mushroom and fresh herb (basil, dill, oregano, thyme) omelet with Fontina cheese. I added baby spinach to my half before I topped with cheese. Heaven forbid a spinach leaf had landed on Himself's side of the pan. :ohmy:

Attachments

• 20180703_215847.jpg
    20180703_215847.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 81
Unusually long and hot heat wave here in UK. It hasn't rained in my neck of the woods for nearly 6 weeks. Fortunately, there's been a slight breeze to make it more bearable. Went out on Friday to water (with run-off from the roof collected over the winter, so don't tell me off for wasting tap water) my two apple trees which were looking the worse for wear and I think two of my long established rhododendrons have had their chips due to shortage of water.

Why would we Americans tell you off for wasting water... or just about anything. :LOL:

Where I live, we have droughts on a regular basis, which means water restrictions -- but our golf courses can use as much as they want. :rolleyes:

When you have a drought, hand water with a garden hose as much as possible, and focus your water usage on things like your apple trees. Keeping your existing trees alive will use less water over time than having to replace dead fruit trees.

For your trees, put a hose in the root zone, and let it run water at a very slow trickle for a long time, so all of the water sinks down into the ground to feed the roots. Runoff is waste, but water that slowly goes into the root zone is not.

As for smaller ornamental plants, they are somewhat expendable. Keeping your trees alive and healthy is a much better use of water.

When you live someplace like Texas, where I live, you set priorities for water. Take care of your fruit trees. Replacing them will absolutely use more water than keeping them alive and healthy.

CD

Last edited:
Looks delicious Dragn. I HATE running out of propane, but it never happens anymore since we bought an extra tank, and one is always full. Worth every dime.

:LOL::LOL: actually I have TWO extra tanks! (have no idea where the 3rd one came from)

and ALL of them are now empty! That is precisely why I am so angry with myself!

We went with the xtra natural gas line directly to the grill..no more tanks..but, you have to be careful you don't leave the grill on because it will keep running forever..until you get your bill, then then you have a heart attack..

Thank you Rock - never thought of that aspect of gas. I don't have natural gas in my area but should I ever 'jump the border' I will keep that in mind.

We had subs from Subway yesterday - had to do some errands and make a Walmart run and it was just TOO hot to cook when we got home.

We went with the xtra natural gas line directly to the grill..no more tanks..but, you have to be careful you don't leave the grill on because it will keep running forever..until you get your bill, then then you have a heart attack..

Natural gas from a hose is very convenient, but methane burns cooler than propane. Of course, they both produce lower BTUs than charcoal.

My dad and I have the same Weber Genesis gasser, but mine is propane and his is natural gas. For the kinds of things I cook on a gasser, I really don't notice a difference, but my dad's grill does produce lower BTUs. If I want a perfectly cooked, medium-rare steak, I use charcoal. But, for burgers and chicken parts, I use my gasser.

BTW, for those who do not know this, you have to change out a few parts to make a propane grill work on natural gas.

CD

Shredded chuck roast, whipped red potatoes (butter, cream cheese, 1/2 & 1/2, salt and pepper), steamed fresh broccoli & carrots, and mushroom and onion au jus.

chuck_roast_070318_IMG_4438.jpg

BTW, for those who do not know this, you have to change out a few parts to make a propane grill work on natural gas.

CD

Most of our gas appliances come with natural gas jets installed. The companies do provide the jets for conversion to propane. I've had quite a few stoves and now have a plethora of spare parts for natural gas!
Let me know and I'll ship!

(Just kidding - I only keep the latest set in case I should move to an area with natural gas. I give the others to the installers. or leave them with whom-ever buys)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom