E-coli contamination in spinach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it is an EHEC.. that means throw it away, the risk of toxins surviving the heating process is too big...
even if there should not be enough Toxins in the spinach....
in no case feed it to babies, children and immunsupressed people..

just make sure it's no californian spinach from these countries... as far as I understood the others are clean :)

cara said:
it is an EHEC.. that means throw it away, the risk of toxins surviving the heating process is too big...
even if there should not be enough Toxins in the spinach....
in no case feed it to babies, children and immunsupressed people..

This is an e.Coli strain that is heat destroyed and does not produce an exotoxin. It is an endotoxin producing strain which means it must grow in the intestine of someone infected and produce its toxin and effects.
If the spinach that was contaminated had been cooked there would not be the problem there is. But it was eaten raw.

Spinach has been cleared for use/sale except from the 3 large California counties. But I imagine not much will be sent to market for a good while.

there is still teh chance of low amount of toxins due to the destroyed Colis setting free the toxins..
I admit it is a very very small amount but in this case I wouldn't risk anything..
btw. spinach is not that high expensive vegetable, so buy some new..

When I was out grocery shopping today, the market had all their frozen spinach on sale - both plain frozen chopped spinach & the processed varieties with pseudo-sauces, etc. All at half price.

I don't know if it was because they're having trouble moving it because folks are now avoiding all types of spinach, or they were just taking advantage of the opportunity of no fresh spinach available to move frozen stock.

Hey, Breezy--when you were out shopping today did something go on sale--------?!! ;o) LOL

Man, I would snap it up because it is expensive stuff--and I happen to think frozen spinach is very good tasting. I shall take a look tomorrow.

Well, "expensive" is relative but if I could get frozen spinach for half price I would do it. It has increased in price a good bit (like double) in the past couple of years.

No Cara, it' is definitely NOT expensive stuff - at least not here in the states.

I don't know where you live Gretchen, but around here frozen spinach is one of, if not "the", cheapest frozen vegetables. It's virtually pennies compared to everything else. I don't have my receipt in front of me, but do know that I paid under a dollar for the package I bought yesterday. Even at full price, frozen spinach is cheap, cheap, cheap - & terrific value for the $$$.

As I said, it is relative. It is about a dollar a package now. it used to be 2 or even 3/$1. All I really meant and said was, if I saw it on sale, I would buy it.
And a package will serve 2 scantily in my house so I usually serve 2 at a time. By that comparison, most other vegetables are more economical. I really didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Back
Top Bottom