Earth Day Dinner - Saturday 4/22/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fried Catfish
Fried Okra.
Hushpuppies.
Slaw.
French fries.
Buttermilk cake with strawberries.

Hush yo mouth!!!! :ermm: ~~~ It's cheat day!!!!!!! :clap:

We'll be having a Mexican appy/tapas meal.

Tequila lime garlic shrimp

Chorizo muenster pick-ups with tortilla triangles

Mini phyllo cups with a winging it spicy spinach dip quichy type filling made with Rotel tomatos, onions, cheddar, muenster, spinach obviously.

Earth day, we are putting in potatoes, tilling gardens, repotting transplants, mowing the lawn, planting salad stuff. I'm so glad everyone is HOME.

Dinner will be late afternoon, chicken breasts in apricot sauce (ala CWS), german sweet sour red cabbage, green beans.

The tequila, garlic, lime shrimp

h2gdOZRTqE7REZqLb1HvhMJegPGlLlMVK1VCudqbmxIpX92IB

I think I grabbed a can of Rotels with Habaneros instead of the original with jalapenos. The little cups were spicy but good. Chorizo/muenster pickups on bottom.

krbWQO5HptUHYxabqfDk3gl1-jDdJiuS20rTu-18Ax0pX92IB

I posted earlier that I was making mac & cheese for two...
I did and it was pretty good..
Jeannie said that we had not had mac & cheese in the 22 years we have been together.. I was like "hmmm".. Got to thinking and all I can ever remember was my son and daughter making the blue box stuff after school to tide them over until dinner...Their mom would keep it in the pantry for just that reason..
I do not recall ever eating it before as an adult, home or restaurant.. That kinda surprised me..

I did bake bread pudding for dessert..

Ross

Everyone's dinners looks and sound good. :yum: Curse YOU, GG, you found another blog for me to waste time on! *shakes fist* Nah, just kidding. :)

I was rummaging through the freezer on Thursday and unearthed a chunk of leftover roasted pork. Recycled that (see what I did?) into mock pulled pork. We'll have it on burger buns with dill pickles on the side (Claussen, because I have to get rid of them to make room for the soon-to-be-made homemade dills). Salad of baby spinach and arugula topped with hard-cooked eggs, bacon, fresh mushrooms, black olives, and tomatoes. Last of the Ricotta Salata, too.

Yum....I checked out the links y'all posted and they sound delish. Wonderful looking dinner, medtran!

Ross...if you make mac and cheese again, try adding some shredded smoked gouda in with whatever cheeses you use. OMGoodness, does that ever take plain ol' mac and cheese over the top! :yum: Ever since I tried that several years ago, I won't make mac and cheese unless I have some. :)

This afternoon's dinner was a grilled cheese on sourdough and a salad with lots of crunchy veggies and ranch dressing. Perfect for this warm 90F afternoon.

Yum....I checked out the links y'all posted and they sound delish. Wonderful looking dinner, medtran!

Ross...if you make mac and cheese again, try adding some shredded smoked gouda in with whatever cheeses you use. OMGoodness, does that ever take plain ol' mac and cheese over the top! :yum: Ever since I tried that several years ago, I won't make mac and cheese unless I have some. :)

This afternoon's dinner was a grilled cheese on sourdough and a salad with lots of crunchy veggies and ranch dressing. Perfect for this warm 90F afternoon.

I love smoked gouda... If I were to have mac & cheese again, I'd try that.. I think that mac & cheese was a one time thing tho..

Ross

WOW!
For a Saturday, everything sounds more like Sunday Supper to me!

hamburger steak with mushroom gravy.jpg

I went freezer diving this morning, looking for inspiration, and saw LOADS of packed ground Beef that I "put-up" each time I buy bulk meats at Costco... what to do? :rolleyes:
SO!
It was "local" style Hamburger Steaks with roasted Potatoes, Sweet Peas and Mushroom Brown Gravy wherever you liked (I put a gravy boat out for DH to pour where he wanted ;))
The leftovers tomorrow morning will morph into Loco Moco
OMGawd!! Can't wait for that!
AND for lunch tomorrow, I've decided to make Spam Musubi, oh my gravy all over my two scoop rice... that's OMG! in my world :yum:

Gee, I should probably make it a real "local style Sunday" and make Ahi Poke Bowls for dinner :chef:

WOW!
For a Saturday, everything sounds more like Sunday Supper to me!

View attachment 26718

I went freezer diving this morning, looking for inspiration, and saw LOADS of packed ground Beef that I "put-up" each time I buy bulk meats at Costco... what to do? :rolleyes:
SO!
It was "local" style Hamburger Steaks with roasted Potatoes, Sweet Peas and Mushroom Brown Gravy wherever you liked (I put a gravy boat out for DH to pour where he wanted ;))
The leftovers tomorrow morning will morph into Loco Moco
OMGawd!! Can't wait for that!
AND for lunch tomorrow, I've decided to make Spam Musubi, oh my gravy all over my two scoop rice... that's OMG! in my world :yum:

Gee, I should probably make it a real "local style Sunday" and make Ahi Poke Bowls for dinner :chef:

What, no white rice and fried egg? :LOL:

Looks like everyone ate better than I did. Still hotel bound, so I had a very mediocre Cuban sandwich at the restaurant next to the hotel.

CD

I came across this recipe for orange chicken with lots of veggies, so I'm giving it a try tonight. I'm using several colors of bell peppers, yellow onion, asparagus (gotta use it!) and pineapple instead of the bag of stir-fry veggies. Hope it's good!

http://tidymom.net/2014/orange-chicken-recipe/
This was not actually very good :( I thought it was bland and ended up adding Thai sweet chile sauce and Maggi seasoning and used Shaoxing rice wine to deglaze the pan after stir-frying the veggies. It's a good concept, but needs tweaking for our taste. 0422171925_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom