"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #31
Sous Chef
We ended up making Chicken Stroganoff because my mum loved it last time I made it for her, Roast Duck with herb fried Potatoes and an Indian lamb dish, which the name is on the tip of my tongue. We also had salad, raita and rice and some Indian pickles. For dessert we had Tiramisu and Ras Malai.

My background is Italian and my fiance's is Indian, hence the desserts :)

I also made 2 Panettone from scratch to give to my sister's family and my parents...just what I was thinking when I had the brilliant idea to make them...I really really don't know...lol

Gosh it's been forever since I posted here lol

Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #32
Master Chef
I thought about cooking for ... well, a few days. And a friend of mine (we share holiday cooking duties, and usually enjoy it). But one friend simply did not respond. So at that point I called my cooking buddy and said, "screw it, let's go out". We had a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant, came to my house for drinks after. It was great!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #33
Certified Cake Maniac
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
rare roasted leg of Pennsylvania lamb (garlic and rosemary) carrots and parsnips in the pan.
tadziki and a pan sauce
roasted veg: tomatoes, asparagus, Dijon potatoes; sauteed mushrooms

cheeses hummus and smoked salmon before
Ina's chocolate cake or/and cia lemon meringue pie for after
Tatziki with lamb. I love that combination! Your whole dinner sounds wonderful, Robo!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #34
Executive Chef
Eating out after service, we had steak, potato, broccoli and a salad. It was nothing very special or different, but I appreciated the fact I didn't have to cook. Oh, and no desert! There had been a large bowl of Jelly Belly jelly beans in the entryway of the church which I had helped myself to before the service, so I figured I had nibbled on enough sugar for one day!
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
Master Chef
Patty, do tell about "stuffed ham"??

We went to my son's house for a wonderful dinner.
I had marinated two New Zealand boneless legs of lamb in Vermouth, Olive Oil, and lots of chopped shallots and garlic....a little rosemary. I retied them, and he used the webber with indirect heat. Delish!! He did a few chicken breasts for the "finicky"..
Sides I took, was my cheezy potatoes in my Nesco roaster, and baked pineapple. We also had green salad, roasted asparagus, and garlic toast. Desert was two kinds of pies from my DIL.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #36
Assistant Cook
Thanks to this site, I made a 3 D lamb cake and took it to a home I was invited to. We had ham with glaze on the side, some baked pineapple, some candied carrots, pineapple pie hot from the oven, deviled eggs and tater salad. There was also a rice dish and rolls. I am getting the recipes for those carrots and those pineapples.
SusieQTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #37
Head Chef
I wanted to make a fresh ham stuffed with greens, but the family had other requests. I ended up baking a pre-cooked ham with pineapples and cherries (looked real nice) baked a leg of lamb, (marinated in olive oil, rosemary, lemon, salt and pepper) and made a pot of hot German potato salad. Sister made pies and an eclair pie dessert. Mom baked a turkey and cooked green beans with ham hocks. Niece made baked mac and cheese. Sis's BF made deviled eggs topped with jalopenos and roasted asparagus topped with swiss cheese.
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 AM   #38
Head Chef
[QUOTE=Kayelle;888227]Patty, do tell about "stuffed ham"??

It is a corned ham(think corned beef, but ham) stuffed with highly seasoned chopped cabbage, kale and onions, wrapped in cheese cloth and boiled. It is a local southern Maryland dish. The hams are only available seasonally. Locally there are different recipes. This is just what I stuff mine with. Google "Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham". You will get more info and recipes.
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #39
Head Chef
Black forest smoked ham, jalapeno corn pudding, pink stuff( cottage cheese, strawberry jello powder, cool whip, pineapple chunks), Kings Hawaiian rolls. For desert, pumpkin pie. I opted for Marie Calendar's original recipe pumpkin pie. I will never make another one from scratch... this is as good as it gets for pumpkin pie.
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
Executive Chef
Jeff, thanks for the opinion on Marie Callendar's pumpkin pie. My grocery store bakery used to make the best pumpkin pies, but I think they have a new baker - the crusts are thicker than before and that spoils it for me. I've made them since, but it's nice to know there is a quick alternative because my grandson could eat pumpkin pie all year.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote