Easter Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure what we are having... all I know right now is I am responsible for grilling the leg of lamb. I will start the grill when Kathleen says she is ready for me to and get that done.

I just rigged my Weber charcoal grill to operate as a smoker and after some test ribs in yesterday's great weather, today we have smoked Easter ham!

4490386750_27f1945f0d_o.jpg

After searing, then rubbing with a home-made dry rub, I'm baking spare ribs in foiled pouches, in a very slow oven. I'll finish them on the Webber, with the fire made from maple wood gathered from the nearby woods, to give them a great smoky flavor. Add cole slaw, deviled eggs, honey glazed carrots with a pinch of dill, and some cold jello for desert (made the pumpkin desert 3 days back and it's completely gone), and you have our simple meal.

Andy and all who have to deal with picky eaters, I know that feeling every time I make a meal, which is daily. I feel your pain. But understand, that learning to tailor you meals under duress, and still satisfy that need for creativity, and varying menu makes you an extraordinary cook. Andy, you're proof of that.

Seeeeeya; and Happy Easter to all; Goodweed of the North

Turkey is smelling REALLY good. I can't wait for dinner. I didn't give any thought to appies. Oops. I think I might just have to go with chips and dip. LOL!

After searing, then rubbing with a home-made dry rub, I'm baking spare ribs in foiled pouches, in a very slow oven. I'll finish them on the Webber, with the fire made from maple wood gathered from the nearby woods, to give them a great smoky flavor. Add cole slaw, deviled eggs, honey glazed carrots with a pinch of dill, and some cold jello for desert (made the pumpkin desert 3 days back and it's completely gone), and you have our simple meal.

Andy and all who have to deal with picky eaters, I know that feeling every time I make a meal, which is daily. I feel your pain. But understand, that learning to tailor you meals under duress, and still satisfy that need for creativity, and varying menu makes you an extraordinary cook. Andy, you're proof of that.

Seeeeeya; and Happy Easter to all; Goodweed of the North

I do that the rest of the year. Corned Hams are only available seasonally, this is my last chance until Thanksgiving. They were just all here a couple of weeks ago. So I decided to do this for ME. I am tired of being a martyr all of the time.

I do that the rest of the year. Corned Hams are only available seasonally, this is my last chance until Thanksgiving. They were just all here a couple of weeks ago. So I decided to do this for ME. I am tired of being a martyr all of the time.

Good for you Patty.....and your meal sounds wonderful!

We had our Easter meal yesterday. DH is gone to work, so it is Dad and I only. I am not sure, but am thinking of meat pies or something breakfasty.

Oh, and dessert will be trifle.....probably for the next week :pig:

I do that the rest of the year. Corned Hams are only available seasonally, this is my last chance until Thanksgiving. They were just all here a couple of weeks ago. Their finickiness restricts my creativity.So I decided to do this for ME. I am tired of being a martyr all of the time.

edited.

We have a 12lb prime rib in the fridge but I was not up to cooking the big dinner physically so instead we went to my parents and had Chinese food. It was a great time and hopefully the roast can be done on Tuesday.

:)

rare roasted leg of Pennsylvania lamb (garlic and rosemary) carrots and parsnips in the pan.
tadziki and a pan sauce
roasted veg: tomatoes, asparagus, Dijon potatoes; sauteed mushrooms

cheeses hummus and smoked salmon before
Ina's chocolate cake or/and cia lemon meringue pie for after

We ended up making Chicken Stroganoff because my mum loved it last time I made it for her, Roast Duck with herb fried Potatoes and an Indian lamb dish, which the name is on the tip of my tongue. We also had salad, raita and rice and some Indian pickles. For dessert we had Tiramisu and Ras Malai. :)

My background is Italian and my fiance's is Indian, hence the desserts :)

I also made 2 Panettone from scratch to give to my sister's family and my parents...just what I was thinking when I had the brilliant idea to make them...I really really don't know...lol

Gosh it's been forever since I posted here lol

I thought about cooking for ... well, a few days. And a friend of mine (we share holiday cooking duties, and usually enjoy it). But one friend simply did not respond. So at that point I called my cooking buddy and said, "screw it, let's go out". We had a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant, came to my house for drinks after. It was great!

rare roasted leg of Pennsylvania lamb (garlic and rosemary) carrots and parsnips in the pan.
tadziki and a pan sauce
roasted veg: tomatoes, asparagus, Dijon potatoes; sauteed mushrooms

cheeses hummus and smoked salmon before
Ina's chocolate cake or/and cia lemon meringue pie for after

Tatziki with lamb. I love that combination! Your whole dinner sounds wonderful, Robo!

Eating out after service, we had steak, potato, broccoli and a salad. It was nothing very special or different, but I appreciated the fact I didn't have to cook. Oh, and no desert! There had been a large bowl of Jelly Belly jelly beans in the entryway of the church which I had helped myself to before the service, so I figured I had nibbled on enough sugar for one day! ;)

Patty, do tell about "stuffed ham"??

We went to my son's house for a wonderful dinner.
I had marinated two New Zealand boneless legs of lamb in Vermouth, Olive Oil, and lots of chopped shallots and garlic....a little rosemary. I retied them, and he used the webber with indirect heat. Delish!! He did a few chicken breasts for the "finicky"..:rolleyes:
Sides I took, was my cheezy potatoes in my Nesco roaster, and baked pineapple. We also had green salad, roasted asparagus, and garlic toast. Desert was two kinds of pies from my DIL.

Thanks to this site, I made a 3 D lamb cake and took it to a home I was invited to. We had ham with glaze on the side, some baked pineapple, some candied carrots, pineapple pie hot from the oven, deviled eggs and tater salad. There was also a rice dish and rolls. I am getting the recipes for those carrots and those pineapples.

I wanted to make a fresh ham stuffed with greens, but the family had other requests. I ended up baking a pre-cooked ham with pineapples and cherries (looked real nice) baked a leg of lamb, (marinated in olive oil, rosemary, lemon, salt and pepper) and made a pot of hot German potato salad. Sister made pies and an eclair pie dessert. Mom baked a turkey and cooked green beans with ham hocks. Niece made baked mac and cheese. Sis's BF made deviled eggs topped with jalopenos and roasted asparagus topped with swiss cheese.

Patty, do tell about "stuffed ham"??

It is a corned ham(think corned beef, but ham) stuffed with highly seasoned chopped cabbage, kale and onions, wrapped in cheese cloth and boiled. It is a local southern Maryland dish. The hams are only available seasonally. Locally there are different recipes. This is just what I stuff mine with. Google "Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham". You will get more info and recipes.

Black forest smoked ham, jalapeno corn pudding, pink stuff( cottage cheese, strawberry jello powder, cool whip, pineapple chunks), Kings Hawaiian rolls. For desert, pumpkin pie. I opted for Marie Calendar's original recipe pumpkin pie. I will never make another one from scratch... this is as good as it gets for pumpkin pie.

Jeff, thanks for the opinion on Marie Callendar's pumpkin pie. My grocery store bakery used to make the best pumpkin pies, but I think they have a new baker - the crusts are thicker than before and that spoils it for me. I've made them since, but it's nice to know there is a quick alternative because my grandson could eat pumpkin pie all year.

Back
Top Bottom