"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Easter Dinner

What will you make for your Easter dinner? I'm still trying to decide, but am leaning towards spiral cut ham and assorted side dishes.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
Senior Cook

You can buy little hams here. I am going to have a few of them, either twice baked potatoes or fried potatoes with rosemary, some veggies and for dessert small apple pies made with puff pastry topped with ice cream.

I am thinking of doing a starter with shallots and parma ham. It is a recipe I made for Christmas a few years ago and everybody really enjoyed it.

Pam

Old 03-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What is parma ham?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

i don't cook Easter Dinner, but we have a ham, mashed potatoes, canned crescent rolls, corn and peas, gourmet chocolates ('cept for me), nuts, and a pineapple-jell-o dessert. yum. nothing fancy, just nice family dinner... who could ask for anything more?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I am having my family in for dinner and what I love about Easter...is that I can make a ham!! Not labor intensive...so we will have ham (can't decide on a glaze though--any suggestions??), kolbassi with sauerkraut, potato salad, fresh asparagus, pineapple casserole, yams with poppyseed roll, kifles, lemon meringue pie and Easter shaped sugar cookies. It will probably be buffet style...haven't decided on that yet!!
Old 03-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We have two Easters every year. The "American" Easter will just be a reg. dinner. With a nice dessert. My mother will prbly join us and we'll invite the neighbors over too. Nothing fancy.

Easter # 2 will be a big bash though. Greek Easter (May 1st) will be spent down in Oregon at Paul's folks. We'll buy a whole lamb and roast it over a pit in the front yard *yep, just like they did in the movie*. MIL and I will spend two days cooking up every Greek dish known to man. There's usally 30 or so of us and it's quite the day. My birthdays the 3rd of May so there will be a big carrot cake added to the huge list of Greek desserts. Oh I can't wait for the milk pita to be served! It's to die for.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
What is parma ham?
Parma ham is an Italian ham. It is sliced very thinly. It is also nice with melon as a starter.

Pam
Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Traditionally we eat lamb for Easter. So, I'll probably roast a leg with rosemary and garlic and serve it with seasonal vegetables and roast potatoes and parsnips. Served with gravy and mint sauce (home made - I HATE that bright green coloured jelly GLOOP stuff that you can buy in some shops)

Pudding will probably be cranachan - but made with rhubarb (its in season here now), instead of traditional raspberries. Oh and there will be simnel cake for those that have any room left after the above.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:48 AM   #9
Senior Cook

My Mom, (near 50 years old) said she's gonna cook a ham, and "Green bean casserole" . I asked her, "is it a "City Ham" or Country ham" (as in Smoked, or "mostly cooked") Bless her Heart, I'm still teachin' her how to cook, LOL (Joke) Atomic Jed!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Talking

Hi all,

I’m thinking a 3 or 4 course meal with an emphasis on local fresh products and produce.

Probably a chicken or duck with a herb crust, roasted spring vegetables (carrots for sure), and new baby potatoes. Perhaps a simple soup to start off with, something green and springy like watercress or asparagus. At my house we eat salad after the main course, so for sure a mixed greens salad with a simple dressing, something tangy and sweet perhaps…still figuring out for sure what I’ll make. I think for desert I’ll do something like baked custard or a crème caramel.

Yum, yum Easter is such a great excess to cook up a wonderful meal, and unlike Christmas I feel it is more relaxing. Not only in terms of what you can cook but not having to worry about all the Christmas stresses.

Happy festive cooking to all!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote