"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Everymom

Easter Dinner - Sunday or Monday?

We are having two dinners this year. I was having trouble coordinating all the folks we wanted to visit with so...two dinners it is!

Tonight we are doing a prime rib roast, some form of potatoes, broccoli wild rice casserole (my Mom's favorite), a cabbage based salad (can't decide between two types of coleslaw!), sauteed veggies and a new chocolate cake recipe. Mmmmmm!

Tomorrow will be the more traditional (in our house anyway) dinner of turkey, stuffing, smashed potatoes, green bean casserole (Bugs favorite!), a spinachy type of salad, maybe asparagus tossed with garlic and chiles and probably a cheesecake. Topping as yet to be determined.

Tomorrow will also be our easter egg hunt. The girls think it would be fun for their boyfriends to join them. I think so too!

Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Today - Sunday. Asparagus Risotto, Saffron Cake for the two of us. Got the recipes/ideas here on DC.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Today--I have conference calls until 6:00 p.m. tomorrow. Roast turkey, baked sweet potatoes, broccoli and Swedish Almond Cake for dessert. I have some pitas about to go in the oven and made hummus yesterday, so that will have to tide us over until the turkey is ready. I've learned not to make too much food for just 2 people. A 12-lb turkey presents enough of a challenge! The DH is leaving for FL for a week on business Tuesday, so he won't be any help re: leftovers. I better go find room in the freezer...
Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

boyfriends?

i'll bet ken spends a good part of today cleaning and sharpening things.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

Easter Meat pie, Smoked ham, stuffed artichokes, 2 kinds of potatoes -baked white potato with sour cream and chives and sweet potato (for hub) and Brussels sprouts.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

At my son's house......Barbequed pork loin roast, roasted potatoes, broccoli salad, strawberry shortcake with my masterpiece pound cake that was nearly the death of this non baker yesterday.
Happy Easter everyone!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I decided to cook a turkey breast that was in the freezer today, and then realized that it was easter, LOL. I work retail, but for some reason it didn't connect that today was easter until around friday. Maybe my brain associates easter with April.

So it's gonna be a starchy meal, to go with the turkey breast, will be mashed potatoes, homemade stuffing, green beans, and biscuits. Cheesecake for dessert.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

We have our main Easter meal on Good Friday...we had fish and chips, hot cross buns etc
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Everymom

Well I'm finally sitting down for a bit of a rest. Whew! Had to do a last minute grocery shop because I was out of lots of my baking stuff. Sheesh! The roll ups are setting in the fridge. We did:

Egg salad
Tuna/pickle/onion
Marcia's cheesy surprise
Greek
Shrimp

Now we have the cake and the bread pudding in the oven, the roast is rubbed and sitting on the counter ready to get into the oven. We've got the casserole in the fridge, it will go in with the roast. We decided on brussels sprouts as our veggie. The dishwasher is running and we are enjoying the calm before the storm.

I love having folks over! I can hardly wait to get the table set and sit down to our meal.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Master Chef

Last year I prepared Easter and Thanksgiving at my parents' house in Florida (half a country away from my own home). I was so happy to be home for a holiday. I chose to do a middle eastern/med/Slovene type dinner. My family's tradition is ham and potatoes. Husbands would be leg of lamb. I did lamb meatballs, couscous, taboule. A guest brought falafel and cuke/yogurt dip. She's from England, her husband from Pakistan. They scarfed it down. We were all very happy with my very ecumenical Easter dinner!

Tags
dinner